The Curious Isle of St. Asaka

The Curious Isle of St. Asaka

A Story by T.C Matthews

Tetsuya's late. Usually he would've arrived by now with the supplies and my cosmetics. My goodness, the sun's awfully gracious with it's presence today. The glittering beams warms me and the teal coated flora while those native fizzle haired bull-beast dozing off on this fragile island. The clamor of the orphans playing in the backfield still rings lively. The sheer lax atmosphere of it all caused me to yawned, I could go to sleep now.
Of course, I can't. I've got Tetsuya to greet and the orphans to teach soon. Why did it have to be nice today? I bob down to the old and tattered biology curriculum papers situated on my calves, scrutinizing the material listed. Biodiversity and the adaption of isolated lifeformsBasic biology. Maybe I'll get the quadrats ready and explore with the kids. "Mom!" My glaze shifted outside to the prairie. "Shun?" I dropped the paperwork, cascading the loose pages down as I bolted to the entrance
I collided with the front door, almost bulldozing the poor door out of it's sockets. I can hear Shun's monotone cry out in the open of the humid and salt-kissed air. "Shun!" I turn my head to the angles where those bull-beast  congregate. "Mom, over here." His voice was 40 degrees north of my position. I can see his  silhouette between the edge of the sea and land. He was with a few of those beast! I sprint.
The plain was mercifully simple and innocuous, a few sprouts and nettles. My ankles brushed a few of those nettles, a searing assault tap-danced around the strung regions. But all I can think and see is Shun's tiny body. The closer I get, the beast repelled away of my precious boy. "Shun!" He finally turned to face me. Rapidly shouting mummy and mum in his peculiar voice. I'm going to spank that idiot when I catches up to him!

Shun's quiet, his chin's pointing at a growth of grass. I tried to cross my eyebrows and I lower to Shun's shameful squat. My eyes coming at his shy pupils. "What are you doing Shun, I've told you to stay away from the things! You could get hurt." Shun's still can't establish eye contact. He murmured a bit before saying "I'm sorry mum. But..."  Shun's at that troublesome age. So full of curiosity but doesn't have any common sense. " You know they are docile mummy. Daddy even said they're... herbivores." "That doesn't mean you can just waltz on their territory, you dummy. Territory are very important boundaries. Even with us, Shun. " 
Shun head titled to the right. It was then at the corner of my eyes was a certain slight. I turned to it only to find a calf. Still. It's pupils had a glassy sheen to it. It's mane's fully grown too. Probably it was about ready to run wild.  "I've found him like this this morning mummy. We were playing just yesterday and he was fine." The little calf lain on the soft grass. There was no blood nor marks on it. Nothing to suggest disease either. Strange. I lifted it with my own palms, it's mane cotton-like. Swinging in the wind. "Don't worry Shun. We'll make sure your friends gets a proper send off."

I crudely dug a hole near a couple of white stones. Only using my bare hands. Shun stood behind. Looking dear at his recently perished friend and tugging at my blouse. Under my care, I've embraced the fallen calf and transport it to it's new bed. "There we go." I turn my head to Shun. His doe eyes stared right into the hole. "Shall we tug him together. Come on." We both carried the dug soil, Shun trying his best to land the earth gracefully while I sweep the remaining soil to the hole. "Don't worry, he'll be in a safe place. We just got to remember him in our hearts." I smiled at him. 
  
Just then, Tetsuya's seaplane splashes the sea, it's attempt at beaching almost broke it's way into the fragile skin of the ocean. The plane frail it's way to the pier. Finally, I needed to freshen up my makeup. "Oh good, your father's here. About time. You go back to class. Ok. Mummy will be back before you know it." I gave a tender kiss to Shun's forehead. Getting up from the crude grave. I darted straight to Tetsuya's location. "Tetsuya! You better managed to find some decent foundation this time!" A figure wearing a red-jumpsuit appeared out of the cockpit. Definitely Tetsuya. However, he wasn't alone, alongside him was another smaller figure. Long blonde strains of hers where dancing under the rhythm of the winds. Another child?

I waved my arms at their direction, still shouting towards them. They didn't look my way. Both of the blurred figures still trying to climb out of the seaplane. As I drew closer to the pier, I've finally managed to see Tetsuya's face and a better look at the child he's with. A sad looking Caucasian girl. But then I noticed something on Tetsuya's arm.  He was holding something! A boy! A limp blonde boy. My lips then parted and a awful dread floods my gut. 
I've reached the pier, slowly approaching towards Tetsuya and the child. The girl stood behind Tetsuya's thighs and another child was held up in Tetsuya's arms. "Tetsuya, is there something wrong?" "Papa!" Nimble footstep lags behind me. I turn over to find Shun standing a feet away. "Shun! I told you to get back to class." "Asami." Tetsuya was cold in his delivery. I turn back to face my husband. Getting a better look at his battered frown. "Tetsuya, what's wrong?" He flash his chin down to the child laid at his arms. He was motionless. I grew closer to the boy. Analyzing him, to see if anything was wrong. Nothing. No injuries. Then I noticed he isn't breathing. His eyes were also lifeless. " He succumbed a minute ago. A healthy lad too. He was also her brother."  Another weird death. "I'll help Dad." I grabbed Shun by his shoulders. "Shun, why won't you take this girl to class with you." "No, it's alright Asami. She wants to see her brother get a pleasant send off first. You take Shun and some of the supplies. I'll be back later."

"Dad! Mummy!" Everyone sharply turned to Shun. He was still. But his eyes were struggling to hide the sorrow. "It's OK. I have to get used to this.  If I want to help mummy and dad. I need to not turn away from life." Shun put his chin up. "I'll help too. I know a place." The girl, now was in full-view despite her timidity. Her hands were clutching her crimson skirt. "Can the girl even understand Japanese, Tetsuya?" Tetsuya walked a couple of steps after me. "Asami, can you get the shovel out of the trunk." I did as I was told. Shun extended a hand to the girl. She was hesitant but firmly accepted the offer. The both of them were walking solemnly as Tetsuya marched in front of them. The wind grew old and heavy. Mourning the loss of these two dear children.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've told the other children to wait at the classroom. Me, Tetsuya, Shun and the girl were standing at the quick grave Tetsuya made. A sad looking mud patch stared right below us. The boy finally put to rest now can sleep in peace. I was holding a clumsy made wreath and placed it on top of the patch. At least this will give her some closure. "I'm sorry, this is the best we can do." Shun said to the her. The girl was fumbling around the hem of her dress. " I don't think she understands Shun." Shun motioned his arm and pointed to our orphanage. "It's OK." "Come on, I'll introduce you to the classroom. They're friendly and nice." Shun extended his hand to the girl.
She hesitated while looking at her brother's grave. She nodded and turned along with Shun. Walking away from the both of us. "Tetsuya, I've noticed a couple of bizarre deaths today. Both instances were extremely healthy too. Only to die out of the blue. I don't like this. How was it out there? Did you find them? Any news from the government?" Tetsuya was in his own bubble. He broke his silence after a few minutes. "It's gotten worse out there Asami. There was hardly anything to scavenged. I was almost caught by those things.  We can't rely on the government anymore. They are running around, panicking just as we!" Another unbearable silence. Tetsuya eyes were shedding now. He was biting his lips and showing his teeth. I glanced at his fear. The same fear that was being suffocated by the uncaring warm toned sunset of this terrible afternoon. "I'll call Junpei to help you tomorrow. He's a multilingual too. I hope he can help with the girl." Tetsuya started back at the grave. "Yeah..." 


 
 

© 2018 T.C Matthews


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on April 22, 2018
Last Updated on August 12, 2018
Tags: Island, Death, Sea, Plane, Orphanage, Bulls, Tragedy

Author

T.C Matthews
T.C Matthews

United Kingdom



About
Trying to be the best writer I can be =) more..

Writing