John

John

A Story by Max
"

Based on a writing prompt I read a while ago

"

               John woke up with a big smile on his face, as he always does. He knew it would be a fantastic day, despite not knowing what the day had in store for him. He went down his stairs, still draped in his ever-so-tacky robe to make his morning coffee. John liked a blend from his local coffee shop, but everyone else agreed that it was disgusting. He poured it into his mug which read “worlds greatest dad” (despite the fact that he was not a father, nor the worlds greatest anything), at which point he clumsily spilled some on the counter. To any normal person this would be a bad thing, but not to John. John was not normal. In fact, most described John as strange, irritating, and slightly unnerving. It was after his morning coffee that John decided to head to work.


               John stepped in his blue 1997 Toyota Camry LE, which was the ugliest car you could possibly imagine. John loved ugly things, and it’s certain that if he had a girlfriend, she would be the absolute ugliest. John left his driveway and got on the interstate, always making sure he was following the speed limit. John had no excitement in his life, and led a boring existence. He arrived at work, where he worked as a- you know what? Who cares? I’m sure whatever his job is it’s boring and unrewarding. You see, John had no ambition in life, and never had any. He was merely coasting his way through life, blissfully unaware of how much others dislike him. John walked up the stairs to his office. He preferred the stairs to the elevator, because it kept him in shape. However, walking up the stairs could not do anything about his face. He passed by several of his coworkers on the way up, and they exchanged pleasantries. John’s coworkers all secretly hated him, but he was not aware of this. He was not aware of anything, really, as he was inattentive and just generally stupid. He sat down at his desk for a long day of work. He was excited for this productive day, despite the fact that he was never productive and everyone hated him.


               When lunchtime came, John pulled out the packed lunch he brought from home. He carried it with him in a plastic bag because he hated the environment and sea turtles. He brought a ham and cheese sandwich with mayo on white bread, the most boring sandwich he could possibly bring. The mundanity of this sandwich was only compounded by the fact that he brought the same sandwich every single day. At quitting time, John walked out to his awful, run down car, and headed for home. He maintained the speed limit the whole way back because, again, John was a horridly boring human being. I’m sure he does it for his own safety, because he’s too stupid to not hit other cars. He arrived in his driveway, turned off his car, and headed inside. He was greeted by his two children, who I’m sure were adopted. Oh, did I say he wasn’t a father? I meant he wasn’t a good father. I’m sure his children will grow up to be burglars or murderers. He brought home fast food for dinner, as he wasn’t smart or talented enough to cook for himself. They all sat and ate quietly, as John was too stupid to think of anything to say. After dinner, he put his kids to sleep without reading them a bedtime story, because he didn’t know how to read and hated his children. He then went up to his room, which I’m sure is disgusting and has garbage strewn about. John lived like a pig, and he looked like one. He got back in his robe, which was disgustingly filthy and tacky. He went to bed with that same stupid smile on his face that he woke up with. He thought he lived a wonderful existence. I hate John.

© 2018 Max


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really like this story for lack of better words, I guess John is not suppose to be a likable character but I became fond of him.. I would like to meet in him in real life and have a conversation with him, maybe he's not that strange of a guy. I don't know if the part where you tell the readers that John would have an ugly girlfriend was suppose to be funny but it was, I also like the way you describe him in the story so we know more of his personality. I wonder why his coworkers hated him?? Thank you for sharing, a wonderful read..

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Max

5 Years Ago

The idea was that John is a very positive guy and very likeable, but the narrator hates him.
April Blue

5 Years Ago

I think that is why I am fond of John because he is a positive guy even though the narrator hates hi.. read more



Reviews

Very unique story, I loved it!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the premise of the story. It is quite unique. It feels like the narrator wants us to hate this John character.
I wonder why the narrator seems to hate him so much.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really like this story for lack of better words, I guess John is not suppose to be a likable character but I became fond of him.. I would like to meet in him in real life and have a conversation with him, maybe he's not that strange of a guy. I don't know if the part where you tell the readers that John would have an ugly girlfriend was suppose to be funny but it was, I also like the way you describe him in the story so we know more of his personality. I wonder why his coworkers hated him?? Thank you for sharing, a wonderful read..

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Max

5 Years Ago

The idea was that John is a very positive guy and very likeable, but the narrator hates him.
April Blue

5 Years Ago

I think that is why I am fond of John because he is a positive guy even though the narrator hates hi.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
3 Reviews
Added on May 10, 2018
Last Updated on May 10, 2018
Tags: Funny, short story

Author

Max
Max

Troy, MI



About
Just an amateur writer. Not looking to be a professional, but definitely want to improve my writing. more..

Writing
A plain room A plain room

A Story by Max


He Arrived He Arrived

A Story by Max