The Driver

The Driver

A Story by JustusThucydides
"

A story I wrote for class! :)

"

The driver lost control on the slick pavements on the road of the forest.  The black tires made contact with the tears of the Sky and thus its sadness seeped into the body of the car and infected it with hatred and anger spinning the car out of control.  The Sky was angry at these vehicles, the vehicles that drenched its vision with smoke and gas and carbon.  The Sky was not fond of the mechanical beasts that roamed the Earth. 

            However, what the sky knew was that inside the car was life.  There was beautiful life created by the Earth and Sky itself and it was sent screeching down the paved road into madness, as if the car had turned into a wild bull in the rings…it could not be tamed.  The life inside was screaming and shaking at what was to come, it saw the tree approaching quickly charging at the car.  It seemed all of nature had declared war on the driver and his mighty beast.  The driver knew his life would not last long and reflected on his life as one of the fastest and greatest drivers of all time. 

            The driver remembers his mother gifting him a toy Datsun on his 12th birthday and feeling the ignition start in his heart.  He knew from that moment he would drive for his life.  His mother continued to get him Hot Wheels for his birthdays for it was all he could think of, dream of, talk of, and be.  The car was a part of him and he knew the car would bow down to him.

            On the driver’s 19th birthday his mother unleashed the full power of the mechanical being and, with the gift of money, was able to gift him a Mazda RX-7.  It was an old, but wise car and the driver fell in love with its soft panels, shimmering rims and compact size.  The driver sat in his seat, the cushion adjusting to his lean body, the mirror peering into his hazel eyes brimming with excitement as if he had turned into an infant again, the gas and brake pedals awaiting his command and line of action, the stick shift sheathed in place molded to the tough, but gentle hands of the driver.  The driver ignited the car as did for him on that birthday and he drove off into the barren and rich hills.

“Drive safe!” His mother yelled, barely denting the driver’s ears.

            The driver scorched the paved road upwards as the mechanical beast puffed out its metallic pants and its gun metal bones crackling and swerving with the laws of physics and the driver felt the need for the laws of physics to bend to his will. 

            The driver approached a narrow and tight curve and the driver remembered CarCar Till surpassing the obstacle in the utmost finesse…the driver wanted to do the same.  The car belched and began reaching speeds unknown to the driver…the driver felt invincible.  He was meters away from the turn, his adrenaline filling his veins and raged eyes until-

“Drive safel!” His mother’s voiced boomed through his head.

            The driver slammed on the breaks and his body rocked forward almost puncturing the steering wheel right through his panting and quivering lungs.  He was stunned.  The car sat there motionless with its engine stagnant waiting for the matador to wave his red flag, but he would not.  The driver sat there and pondered how he could he have stopped, he was so close to becoming CarCar Till.  Whether the driver knew or not, his mother was right. 

            The driver recalled the poem CarCar Till wrote to his fans and it had forever been glued in the driver’s mind:

Drive for your life

Make streets strife

For you are free

Now you are a part of me

            The driver felt his mission has not been completed yet and knew from that moment on he would be the fastest racer in the world.  He felt his skills were incomparable to anyone else and even as so far to CarCar Tills…or not yet. 

            Throughout his twenties the driver set out on Laguna Seca in Monterey Bay and began practicing his driving, day and night and the Earth despised that this young man only pursued the mechanical being.  The driver eventually bought a Datsun, just like his toy car, and drove it like no other car before.  The Earth observed the mechanical beast controlled him.  The Earth cried.  The Sky was angry and full of rage.

            The driver embarked on races through rough, barren lands and through the damp forests of Latin America.  He would skid through narrow straights throughout Italy and skid through the Alps and make a name for himself.  The driver pummeled his way to fame excluding his mother from the picture and instead took pictures with his fans, only wanting to touch his wavy hair or get his curly autograph on their shirts, bodies, children, paper, foreheads.  He was making history.

            The driver raced in what would be his final race, but the driver did not know that his world would come not with a wimper but a bang.  His world which had been built up through so many years and photos and trophies and fans would be no more, he was about to become a part of history.

            The driver raced through the states in a cross-country race throughout America.  The driver was venturing through the trees and rocks of Yosemite with El Capitan and Half Dome hovering over the tiny human.  The rocks observed the mechanical being turning, swerving, exhausting its fuel on the fertile flowers, beasts and bacteria that would soon give life.  The rocks were disappointed.

            The Sky was angry and sent armies of water and the Earth pleaded the Sky to spare his life, but the Sky would have no more for the human had caused too much harm throughout the world.  The Sky would take this life through human nature’s hubris.  The Sky has been witness to too many wars and death to know this as fact.  The Sky was hurt.

            The driver approached the turn and ignored his mother’s voice in his head, begging that he would drive safely.  His mother was screaming in his head, but the driver ignored his mother’s pleas.

            The armies of water attacked the beast’s tires and sent it sliding through the black, paved road as it approached the giant in the way.  The giant was ready for war with its spears pointed at the beast and its master.  Its ancestors had prepared for this moment, to defeat those that destroyed its home with tar and black blood.

            The driver saw his doom approaching towards the giant and he knew he would be no more.  His name would no more on shirts, foreheads, and bodies, but his body would make a mark on nature and nature had no care for this.  His time had come and a guffawing of lightning struck El Capitan lighting the driver’s face with fear and dread. 

            The car rammed into the Sequoia splintering the car into pieces and sending the driver, with so much force, through the glass barrier…his time had come. 

Drive for your life

Make streets strife

For you are free

Now you are a part of me

            The Earth tasted the blood of the being and cried.

© 2018 JustusThucydides


Author's Note

JustusThucydides
It has not been edited so any suggestions or edits would be fantastic and totally welcomed!! :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

46 Views
Added on November 13, 2018
Last Updated on November 13, 2018
Tags: short, short story, story, poetic, suspenseful, intense, class, car, rain, mother, son

Author

JustusThucydides
JustusThucydides

About
College student looking for their place in life. more..