She Walked Away

She Walked Away

A Story by Becca
"

This was written to the lyrics of the Barlow Girl song, "She Walked Away". Enjoy!

"

She couldn’t take one more day
Home was more a prison now
Independence called out
She had to get it
A fight was all she needed
To give her reason
She slammed the door with no goodbye
And knew that it was time




No one knew how hard it was to battle the depression. Dragged through every day, it was all Allyson could do any more just to smile at someone she knew. It was getting more difficult to hid the pain. But what happened when someone figured it out? What would they do if they knew how many times that nagging thought had come, assuring that it would only take a moment- no one would know- if they did, it would be too late- and it would be over. She wouldn’t have to deal with anything ever again.
It was getting harder to resist. One life wasn’t that hard to take away, was it?

“Allyson!”
Allyson winced as she crossed the threshold into the house. She had only just opened the door to hear her mother’s yell. Pasting a smile on her face to hide her anger, Allyson dropped her bag on the floor and walked towards her mother. “What’s wrong?”
Her mother’s face was red. “I just got a call from the principal! Your grades are dropping, you’re skipping school and you’re talking back to your teachers!”
“So?” asked Allyson, trying not to blow.
“So? So?! What do you think, so? I think you’d better shape up, young lady! You are no longer six! Try and act like it!”
“Six?!”
“You’d better believe it! You have your whole-”
Allyson cut in angrily. “Don’t feed me the you’ve-got-your-whole-life-ahead-of-you speech. I’m tired of hearing it.”
“Then you’d better start listening!”
“Maybe you should stop telling me what to do!”
“Maybe you should show some respect!”
“Show me respect first!”
“Lazy children don’t-”
“Shut up!”
Her mom’s mouth closed and her tone grew sharp. “I beg your pardon?”
“Stop talking to me!” Allyson’s eyes were red and puffy. “Stop yelling! That’s all you ever do any more!”
“That is certainly-”
“And let me tell you something else, too! I’m done with it!”
“Fine then! Go to your room!”
Furious, Allyson stomped out of the kitchen and grabbed her bag, slinging it over her shoulder. The door slammed behind her as she ran to her car. Now the tears were coming, and her chest heaved with sobs. Her voice choked. She pulled out of the drive, and the wheel jerked in her hands as she tore down the street.




And now she’s driving too fast
She didn’t care to glance behind
Through her tears she laughed
It’s time to kiss the past goodbye
I’m finally on my own
Don’t try to tell me no
There’s so much more for me
Just watch what I will be



“Stupid stupid stupid!” snapped Allyson to herself, angrily wiping tears away. “I’ll show her. I won’t go back. Ever. She’ll never see me again.” She drove on for hours, consumed in her fierce determination. “Never. Ever. Never”
Late that night, she pulled into a motel lot. After banging on the front door for a while, she was admitted and reserved a room. Slowly Allyson shuffled into her new room dropped her bag on the floor, eyes wide as she surveyed it. Clean, neat. It would do.
Allyson fell onto the bed and closed her eyes…

Another day goes by
For the ones she’s left behind
They’re always asking why
Thoughts of her consume their minds
God please let her know
The more we try to show
We’ll promise anything
If you’ll just bring her home



Quietly, Allyson’s parents prayed together. Silent tears stained the fine furniture as their whispers echoed throughout the house. Allyson’s brother entered the room, and softly knelt as well.
“Please, God. Bring her home.”

Tell her we love her
Tell her she’s wanted
One more thing, God
Tell her please come home
Please come home


Sunlight streamed through the window, and Allyson quietly opened her eyes. Sitting up, she stared at her shoes, carelessly thrown on the floor beside the bed.
Go home, Allyson. whispered a voice in her head.
No, no! protested another. Don’t listen! They don’t want you. You remember how they yelled at you for getting bad grades. You can do fine on your own.
Go home, Allyson, repeated the first voice, softer and more warmly. They love you.
No, no! screeched the second desperately. They hate you! Don’t go home!
Home, Allyson. It’s where you belong.
NO! DON’T GO!
Go.

*    *    *    *    *

Allyson’s mother tended the plants carefully, clipping dead leaves and branches that would stunt the growth. Her eyes strayed to the road, and the spot where Allyson’s car used to stand.
“I’m sorry, my baby,” she whispered softly. “I’m so, so sorry. I never thought I’d lose you.”
As she turned away, a blue car rolled into the driveway and parked where it used to. A young girl slowly opened the door and climbed out, hoisting a bag over her shoulder. Hesitantly, she walked towards the house and, fishing some keys out of her pocket, unlocked the door.
“Mom?”
Her mother looked up. “Allyson?”
Allyson appeared in the doorway. “I’m sorry, Mom,” she said quietly. Her mother smiled gently and gave her a hug.
“Welcome home, my child. I love you."

© 2009 Becca


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it, different but I like it.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
1 Review
Added on February 28, 2009

Author

Becca
Becca

About
I've been writing my entire life, it seems... I cannot remember when I began, nor can I figure out when it will end. Hopefully, it never will. more..

Writing
Forbidden love Forbidden love

A Story by Becca


La la la... La la la...

A Poem by Becca