Looking for an ESL Job

Looking for an ESL Job

A Story by ecrivan
"

Some tips on how to sell yourself as an ESL teacher

"

The road is rough and there are disappointments along the way but with persistence you can gain the respect of people who will gladly refer you onto others in need of language correction and conversation practice.One should get the credentials along the way to show seriousness but then not a whole lot of certificates are really necessary when working through certain organizations that value your experience.

 

If you plan to work through ESL schools, check and see their credentials. Look and see what their treatment of teachers is and what kind of clientele they deal with. There may be set backs along the way that you can avoid such as finding out whether the school delays payment with the excuse that other businesses do the same when this is an irregularity. Plan to speak to other teachers who have come across the school and compare notes or market yourself as an independent and avoid depending on one institution. 

 

 

If you are going to get a certificate then it would be wise to get one where practice is merited and you have a certain number of practice ours to show for your training. Try to teach elsewhere outside of your country of origin as an assistant o tutor at least, this will be merited and taken into consideration.Once you have been accepted by a place that values your prior experience and training then see that you are not going to get shortchanged with hours or have to work ridiculous hours. This is where you have to use some common sense. Obviously if the school has a plan of first hiring teachers to work odd hours before they do so full time then go for it. Today however I am doubtful than any school will be equipped to offer you better hours because of the recession we are getting out of.

 

© 2013 ecrivan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on December 10, 2013
Last Updated on December 11, 2013

Author

ecrivan
ecrivan

Montreal, Canada



About
I am a freelance writer/teacher and actor living in Montreal more..

Writing