Human trafficking in Montreal

Human trafficking in Montreal

A Story by ecrivan
"

Young women are being used against their will in the sex trade and this has become an ugly problem in Montreal but maybe a tip of an iceberg

"

I used to think that human trafficking was an East-European by-product, the stuff you watch as kids are used to swallow drugs and take then across borders to dump them out are used against their will in the drug trade. That was like thinking that gypsies and their selfish ways would never travel across the seas either but alas they or what looks like them squatting n large hooped skirts outside stores are around and still asking for money to support their families. Often they have been known to get their young kids out on the street begging for money under the threat of punishment if they did not return with some cash in their pockets.

 

Today you have Eastern Europeans being used as masseurs against their will;at least this is so in Montreal. They are underage and drawn into a corrupt network of deceit and modern slavery. Modern slavery has it that companies and individuals behind those companies are behind the the bondage and the most vulnerable get caught in a web of false promises. In the case of Romanians that are involved in the sex trade, they get used to offer certain benefits at massage parlors and perhaps those places are not the best in the neighborhood. Then again there are only certain businesses when this kind of activity can occur relatively in secrecy and the young are often too intimidated to speak up for themselves or too immature to look for justice.

 

What about the script I remember reading years ago in Italy? It was supposed to have been the start of an Eastern European film to be done in co-production with an Italian production house only who knows if it actually got off the ground. The scenario seemed quite similar women would be drawn into a tangle with their protectors, guys that would elicit favors and then bribe them to stay under the threat of physical beatings i they did not comply. The hoodlums excuse was that the girls owed them money in exchange for their protection or special favors. It looks like this script is actually reality and in the real world young women are being preyed upon for the same thing and it is now happening in Canada. Or maybe it has been happening for a while and it has just surfaced after many years of quiet undercover dealings!


Perhaps there are other industries out there that are sheltering young ladies who are too fearful about being exposed.One may think of those known to have had links with the underworld in the past like strip clubs and sleazy dance clubs.

© 2013 ecrivan


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on December 17, 2013
Last Updated on December 22, 2013

Author

ecrivan
ecrivan

Montreal, Canada



About
I am a freelance writer/teacher and actor living in Montreal more..

Writing