A Rolling Ball

A Rolling Ball

A Screenplay by ecrivan
"

summary of a story to be put into a screenplay

"

There is boy running around outside without any style play clothes and as soon as he approaches other kids either they gasp in horror o ignore him entirely. He loses his ball for a moment and it enters another point in time . Two boys are playing catch with it. The ball kept rolling in from out of the scene and after a failed catch that happened after two boys were pitching it back and forth. 

It is seen running along a wooden floor in a seemingly abandoned  house.

 

A mother is taking care of a child in an apartment below. She is reading a story about a boy playing ball with a friend and how the object was lost only to be found by another child who later attempts to return it to the rightful owner. In the meantime, in the story the child runs to his Mom distressed that his first ball should disappear so suddenly. The mother consoles her child/

 

As the story being read continues the focus is back to reality where the boy who lost the ball is distressed for having it and runs about his apartment looking aimlessly. His mother  confronts him on the search. At first the boy is reticent, after all, it is only a ball  He had already lost a model dinosaur and a very large marble. His mom reassured that all was not lost then, so the future would be just as bright. Only then does he muster enough courage to reveal the cause of his worry. 

 

The mother told him of the land of the marbles where they grow abundantly to be picked in packages when they are ready to roll, just like the one in baseball or simple catch. She reassured him that the toy dinosaur could be replaced by the plenty bought in dollar packages at the local five and dime store. He is sent going to the place to pick them from the racks and return home to play hit the dinosaur with a rolling ball. 

 

The mother reading the story hears a hard ball rolling across the ceiling above her. The noise repeats itself as the ball continues o roll back and forth. She goes up to investigate only to discover that there is no-one at home.

 

She goes out the next day with her boy to meet her friend across the street. It so happened the friend says her boy witnessed a child appearing in the window the night before. The neighborhood boy asks to play with a child seen to be living upstairs. The mother of the son living below the siting said there was no one there. Then the boy said that he had already played with him upstairs This would be his second visit. The mother of the boy reacts violently wondering how could she have her boy lay with an apparition and forbids the boy to go across the street. 

 

The woman living downstairs from the rolling ball is just about to put her boy to sleep after the reading of a story of a mysterious marble ball that would come to life any time there was a mention of a ghostly boy who would appear in the window in the above apartment holding the same marble in his hand. This time the boy downstairs gets the urge to play with the one who used to live upstairs. 

 

He runs out of his bed once his mother is out of the room. Goes upstairs and this time sees that the door is open. He walks in as he sees a marble rolling across the floor. He walks slowly as if in a trance towards the room where the ball stops rolling. The mother rushes in once he gets to the object and shouts as she sees a cloudy figure run into another room. She grabs her son who stands there frozen muttering that all he wanted to do was play. The run downstairs.

 

The next day she meets the same neighbour fro across the street who asks her why they are packing things into their family car and she admits that it is to get away from the ghost that holds her kid captive. They leave with their belongings. As son as she she does the neighbour’s boy reports to have been visited by a boy wearing odd play clothes from another generation asking him if he wanted to play ball...a boy always complaining that there is nobody to play with.

© 2016 ecrivan


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on December 30, 2013
Last Updated on July 11, 2016

Author

ecrivan
ecrivan

Montreal, Canada



About
I am a freelance writer/teacher and actor living in Montreal more..

Writing