Luna's Roommate (Tanka) 5-7-5-7-7

Luna's Roommate (Tanka) 5-7-5-7-7

A Poem by ed purchla
"

NA.

"

I)_________ more than 

II)_______ III) _______________        

The IV) _____ *butterfly

Lived for **two years with V) ____

Until ***Pacific folded.

 

I) Accomplishing          II) Destructive          III) Monkeywrenchers          IV) Dauntless

   Achieving                        Scathing                  Disruptors                              Courageous 

   Attaining                          Brutal                       Eco-Warriors                           Valiant

   Securing                          Vicious                      Saboteurs                                Brave   

   Fulfilling                         Violent                       Reclaimers                             Resolute

   Realizing                         Ferocious                   Anarchists                              Intrepid

 

*Butterfly (but·​ter·​fly) Noun 1any of numerous slender-bodied diurnal lepidopteran insects including one superfamily (Papilionoidea) with broad often brightly colored wings and usually another superfamily comprising the skippers.  Noun 2:  When she was somewhere between six and seven years old, she went on a hike with her family and a butterfly landed on her finger.   Since the butterfly stayed with her the whole hike, from henceforth she was nicknamed “Butterfly.”

 

**Two Years: 730 days, 17,520 hours, 1,051,200 minutes, 63,072,000 seconds…approximately 

                       1.1701 x 10^55 Planck Time units.

 

***Pacific:  Founded in 1863 in Humboldt County, California, The Pacific Lumber Company was at first held in good regard, bearing a positive reputation as a company showing sustainable timber practices.  However, when the company was bought in 1985 by Maxxam Inc., and headed by CEO Charles Hurwitz, it wielded a more aggressive approach to logging to pay off the debt it accrued in the buyout of Pacific.  Maxxam instigated significant environmental destruction and began to fuel protests in doing so.  Specifically, the Redwood Summer of 1990 was an organized activist campaign to stop Maxxam's revved-up cutting down of the ancient old-growth redwoods.  Pacific did Maxxam’s dirty work for years before declaring bankruptcy in 2007.  The famous tree sit by Luna’s Roommate drew both national and international coverage of news outlets, creating a much more potent story stemming far beyond the scope of the local, had Butterfly not decided to room with Luna.  The time the two spent as roommates inspired and recruited many to the cause of not only saving the old-growth redwoods of Cali-for-ni-ay’s Coastal Redwood Forests, but to forming a greater concern for the world environment, spawning conservationists, biophiles. eco-warriors, guardians and campaigners, nature defenders, earth stewards and overall green advocates to boot!

 

V) Sol                            

     Stellae

     Planetae

     Luna +

     Nubes

     Nix

 

+ Butterfly estimated that her ancient, arboreal titan of a roommate stands 200 feet tall, and in terms of all-out strength and magnificence, she covers 44 feet in circumference, making it hard to find a belt that fits her and/or pants that fit.  However, while the sap in her veins, flowing for centuries, has kept her alive and strong, in 2000, after Butterfly had moved out and on with her life, Luna was the victim of a house invasion.  Some vengeful idiot who bore hatred that he wielded with a chainsaw, violated the buffer zone that was created by Butterfly in her negotiation with Pacific, and cut deep into Luna.  The laceration, one-third of her diameter, made her bleed the sap of millennia.  Though the perpetrator has yet to be caught, a collection of those Luna inspired came to her rescue, quickly assessing her damage and creating a special wrap of biologically compatible material to heal her wound. 

In the following years, Butterfly continued fighting for the rights for those that were here long before her, long before us, this environment, this crucial component of our very existence.  She formed “Circle of Life,” a non-profit aimed at promoting environmental education, and helped set the stage for the movement of “We The Planet,” which helps festival promoters abide by environmentally sound measures that allow them to be marketed as “Eco-friendly.” She is an environmental speaker and advisor, having spoken at universities and the UN, still bearer of the torch, still an icon, still fighting the good fight.

 

-Definition of “Butterfly, Noun 1” taken from https://www.merriam-webster.com/

 

© 2024 ed purchla


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on April 18, 2024
Last Updated on April 18, 2024