Prometheus Reborn

Prometheus Reborn

A Story by edloud
"

Returning from a dig in Central America, Jack has some strange things happen to him.

"
1

The home coming party finally wound down. Everyone was passed out and sound asleep. The apartment was quiet. Even when someone woke up and started to rummage around for his keys. The apartment seemed to engulf all the noise. Finding his keys he went outside for a drive to think about the past few days events.

It was darkness that surrounded him as the cold air attacked his lungs. All was unusually quiet this night, as he fumbled in his pocket for his car keys.
"Ah, here they are." he muttered.

A sound cracked the silence, like lightning in the night sky. The scream stopped as quickly as it started. He dropped his keys and ran back to his apartment where he left his friends. He was startled to find the door was locked, because he left it unlocked. It was oddly quiet and no light escaped from the large windows. It was as if all the light was being sucked in.

His mind raced. His imagination was running wild, wondering what could be going on inside. His mind cleared at the thought of Mike and his nightmares. He probably woke up screaming.

Suddenly a noise came from the other end of the door. It was a muffled shuffle and then all was silent again. The only noise was his heart pounding. His breath became heavy, his hands clammy. The hairs stood up on his neck while his arms filled with blood.

He thought about leaving, then changed his mind. He raised his hand to pound on the door. Shredding the paper-thin silence of the night was the exploding glass of the downstairs window. At that same instant he threw himself from the front door and rolled into a parked car. His back burst with pain as he slammed into the front bumper.

After regaining his breath he crept up to the wooden fence, and peeked through the gate. Before him lay the most horrifying thing he had ever seen. The body was so mutilated that he couldn't even recognize what sex it was, much less who it was. He crawled to the body and examined it to see if he could figure out who it was or what had happened. Not being able to come to a conclusion he stood up. As he dove to the ground, he cursed himself, thinking he had shown himself to whom ever it was in there.

From within, there came a noise, like rushing wind. But around him the air was deathly still. As quickly as the sound came it departed. He peaked through the window. The moon cast long shadows in the apartment, some of which moved, quickly. The moonbeams glistened off of some liquid that seemed to be everywhere.

He ducked inside the window and hid in a shadow. From all around him came quiet chattering. A wretched stench reached his nose as he approached a closet door. He opened the door and reached for the bat he knew was there. Instead he touched something cold and clammy. As quick as lighting he jerked back from the closet. He crouched near the front door until his eyes adjusted to the lack of light. What he saw was a scene from a nightmare, body parts littered about the apartment and the walls were bedecked in blood and gore. His wide eyed attention returned to the closet where he saw the only body that wasn't ripped to shreds. The body belonged to his friend Mike, tears of sorrow and rage swelled into his eyes as he realized what was happening. Mikes soul, unlike the others, had not been damned.

The body was difficult to manage, but once he got the body out he could unlock the front door. While fumbling with the dead bolt, he shuddered as fear and panic overwhelmed him. He flung the door open and ducked down to grab Mike's body. Adrenaline pumped through his veins as he rushed outside with the corpse dangling over his shoulder.

Once outside he laid Mike's body on the ground, and plopped down next to it. His exhausted mind raced as he tried to decide what to do next. Should he run? His mind was made up. When he neared his car he saw a shape move out of the corner of his eye. He turned and looked, but nothing was there.

"The keys, where are the keys.... bingo!" He opened the door and got in. The tension in the air grew thicker as he slid the key into the ignition.

Click...click...click...

"Damn, damn, damn !"

From the shadows came a form that materialized into a man. The man was twirling something in his hand. It was the distributor cap.

"S**t!" he yelled.

Reaching in the back seat for his backpack, his hand tightened around the handle of his rock hammer. Prying it free of the books and papers, he spun around in a panic. His eyes widened in surprise as the only proof of the apparition's existance was the distributor cap sitting on the hood.

From the apartment came a whisper. A whisper that traveled threw the still night air. It was the whisper of a woman, a woman who knew his name. He recognized the voice, but this woman wasn't at the party.

Then it came again. He began to sweat. He had to know if it was her calling him. He popped the door open and got out of the car, and crouched low. He duck walked over to where Mike's body lay, still intact.

Tightening his grip on the handle of the pick, he turned to face the apartment. The voice came again, calling him to what could be his death. He started to the door, but suddenly stopped. Instead he turns to Mike's body, tears forming in his eyes. He took a deep breath and went in.



***

The voice came again in its low whisper. But it was different this time. Behind the main voice there were others of different pitches and tones, giving it a rather demonic sound. When he approached the door his name was called again, it sounded more hellish then the time before.

The door opened before him, of its own accord. As the door swung silently inward a strong wind rushed out of his apartment, and the sound of tinkling glass came to his ears.
Gritting his teeth he stepped inside. His eyes darted from side to side, seeking any movement. He focused on a shadow that seemed to rise and fall rhythmically. There were definite changes in its shape. As he drew closer the wind and chiming increased in strength. Suddenly everything stopped, and standing no more then five feet in front of him was a figure cloaked in black. He froze. With the pick raised and ready to strike he panicked with the sudden realization that the cloaked figure knew he was there.

Quickly the cloaked figure turned to face him. At that moment he snapped out of his trance. The pick came crashing down at full force, and smashed through the cloaked ones head. The cloaked body collapsed to the ground pulling the pick from his hand.

None of that mattered anymore; it was over. The souls of his friends have been avenged. He let out a deep breath and threw his body down on the blood stained couch. He breathed in the call fall air coming in the windows. He listened to the crickets chirp and the night birds sing. He felt his body relax. His eyes began to droop, and he fought to keep them open. This went on for several minutes; each time his eyes stayed closed longer, until he lacked the power to keep them open.

Although he was to tired to keep his eyes open, he still heard the noises of the wild life outside. He knew he was safe. All through this hellish night not a single creature of earth made a sound, and now there was a chorus of nighttime animals. He allows himself to drift off to sleep. His breathing got deeper and followed the rhythm of the chirping crickets.

Suddenly it was quiet, and he hear the voice again. It uttered the last word he ever heard. The demon voice said; "Guardian."


2
Valadoctu sat on the roof of the opposing apartment building watching the carnage. His worshipers had done well. Sure they are clumsy and stupid, but they certainly can do one thing right, and that was kill.

He sensed something that caused him to begin to reminisce about Europe in the eighteenth century. When he was drive to the Americas. This actually turned out to be the best thing that could have happened. Never before had there been so many ignorant of his kind. Even those who knew of his kind didn't believe they existed. Since it was Napoleon himself who hunted him, he decided he would terrorize France's holdings in the New World. It was easy to convert the natives and turn them against the Christian settlements.

Valadoctu smiled as he thought about the years of suffering he caused the believers of God. Suddenly his mind slammed into the present as he saw what had caused his senses to perk. He was carrying a body out of the apartment that held the portal Valadoctu opened. Valadoctu's human worshipers came poring through and killed everyone within. This one was outside near his car when it started.

Valadoctu then noticed one of his servants heading towards the car of the escapee. A smile of satisfaction spread over his face, as he knew he taught them well. For a moment he thought his servant was spotted, but he wasn't and proceeded to the vehicle and disabled it.

The man got out of the car, and seemed to have a weapon.
"Oh good, a challenge to test my followers," thought Valadoctu.

The sensation grew stronger as the human approached the apartment.

"Something strange about this human, I may have to take care of this myself." he mumbled to himself.

He leaped from the roof landing silently on the ground. He watched as the man entered the building and killed one of his worshipers. He waited in the shadows and watched the man fall asleep. He crept up, and easily ripped out the man's throat.


3
Rising from the body, Valadoctu looked around at his minions. The orders he gave were simple. To kill everything and to damn their souls for eternity.

They began scratching at the walls. The years of paint began to peal away, leaving white piles of dust on the floor. Next they scratched at the studs, which came out in long splinters.

Their fingers bled, but yet they continued to claw. They were possessed; all of them, by the dark force that is Valadoctu. None of them felt pain, only pleasure. The pleasure was that of pain, and causing it.

The followers at the back wall got through first. As soon as they were through the began chanting, offering praise to their god Valadoctu. The dark ones spread quickly throughout the apartment. As they moved forward every source of light was snuffed out. It was as if the darkness was a blanket that spread over the walls. They wound their way up to the second floor. Some by way of the steps, others scaled the walls like spiders.

She was fast asleep when they reached her. Using no weapons other than their claw like fingers and razor sharp teeth they attacked her. Dozens of hands groped her flesh and shredded it. She screamed in pain, this did nothing to stop them. They continued to chant and rip her apart.

Now they scraped through the adjacent apartment. Again they moved throughout the apartment, chanting in unknown tongues and leaving darkness in their wake.

This apartment had a couple in their bed. The cloaked ones walked to them and grasped their bare flesh. They tore and ripped the flesh from the bone. Their agonizing screams reached Valadoctu's ears, and it made him smile in pleasure. His cackle chilled the night air. He glanced down at the body of the man he killed, feeling the pangs of hunger. His eyes widened with terror as he saw where the wound was, the wound that killed the man.

Just then the third group broke through and began their attack. Valadoctu no longer cared about what his worshipers were doing; he was terrorized by what he saw. In he freight he dropped what was in his hand, the mans windpipe.

There was no blood, no blood!


4
Death brought no pain, only darkness. It surrounded him and closed out all sound. He floated there in the darkness. Hovering and spinning while invisible hands began to grab at his flesh. These demons were shadows in the pitch. They were fast and strong swirling about him, gnawing and rending his flesh. All he could do is writhe in pain. He rolled himself up in a ball and prepared for damnation.

From the depths of darkness came a noise. It was barely audible, but it was strong enough to pierce the darkness. The sound was all he cared about; he no longer noticed the tormenting demons. He began to recognize the sound as the most hopeless sound to exist. It was the wail of a baby, helpless and no doubt in danger.

Then it happened; from the direction of the cry came a piercing light of pure white light. It was only the size of a pinhole, but it was enough to illuminate the demons. One of the fiends got too close and got his neck broken. He reached for a shadow and grabbed what felt like bone. He pulled it towards him, and in doing so pulled it out of the shadows and into the light. He was face to face with a sharp toothed yellow-eyed devil. This demon had horns that resembled an antelope, one of which his hand still grasped. The demon eyes were large and like a snake's, with luminous green pupils. Those eyes entranced him. He floated in oblivion, dazed by those demon eyes. A red tongue came out of its horrid mouth and wrapped around his throat. The demon began to choke his last breaths from him and he felt his soul slipping into damnation.

The baby's scream exploded into the darkness, causing his eyes to snap back open. His grip tightened on the horn as he jerked its head from side to side. Rage filled his veins with a new vigor. His left hand groped for the other horn. When. at last, he found the other horn the demon's grip loosened on his throat. Every sinew stood out on his body, every vessel pumped full of adrenaline as started to pull the horns apart. His chest gave a mighty heave as he ripped the skull of the demon in half. He floated there with a horn in each hand, breathing heavily and waiting for the last two demons to attack.

They came swooping in out of the shadows, clawed hands outstretched before them. The first one to reach him was met by a horn. It pierced the demons single eye, causing it to let loose a roar of agony that must have shook the pillars of heaven. Upon seeing this, the remaining demon paused mid rush. Which was all he needed. He hurled the other horn at the beast of hell, and it passed right through the things heart, causing black blood to explode from the wound.

The four floating carcasses were incinerated by a wave of blinding light. A noise came from within this light. It sounded like wind chimes, like the ones his grandma used to hang on her porch. Then a feeling rushed over him. It was a sensation he had felt only once before. It was a combination of honor, love, caring, and charity. But it was more than that; the best way to describe it was bliss.

The chimes that echoed in his ears slowly changed. After a time he started to make out what they were saying.

"Guardian... guardian... not your time... guardian."

Another musical voice chimed in. "Prometheus..... return."

The original voice chimed in: "Go back... guardian... go back."



***
Valadoctu jumped when he saw the beam of light streak down from the heavens and strike the corpse on the couch square in the chest. Bright white sparks jumped from his chest as the light continued to pour into him. Then it stopped. His chest rose as he drew in a deep breath. That is when Valadoctu knew it was time to go.

Valadoctu survived the eons not by being brave, but rather by knowing when to flee. He turned to run when he heard a rush of air behind him. He turned just in time to see a blue wave of energy extend in a circle from the chest of the guardian. The wave came upon Valadoctu too quickly for him to react, and it tossed him out the window like a rag doll. He picked himself off the blacktop and ran into the night.

The guardian's eyes opened, and his breathing became steady. He sat up on the couch and took in his surroundings. The pick lay where he left it, he scooped it up and got to his feet. Before him was a gaping hole in the wall that led to the next apartment. Emanating from the hole was pure evil; he could sense it. Instead of repulsing him it drew him in. Grasping the handle of his pick so tightly that his knuckles turned white, he walked into the portal.

What was left of his neighbors was strewn throughout the apartment. A hand still clutched the chain for the light; it swung back and forth in a breeze that came from no where. Blood splattered on the wall, ceiling, and floor. A head with a face painted with pure terror was impaled on a pool queue jammed into the couch.
All of these sights enraged him, when he saw what had happened to people he knew and cared for. "It must stop, now!" he thought as he moved towards the next hole.

As he stepped through he heard it, the cry of the baby. He began to move quicker and ran to the other side of the apartment with great abandon. When he got to the other side there was no hole. His blood boiled and he punched the wall with such force that he split a stud in two. His mind raced with possibilities. Then it hit him, he ran up the steps to the second floor, skipping the last few steps with a great leap. He landed and crouched low, ready for anything that may be lurking in the shadows.

His ears picked up a barely audible sound from the adjacent apartment. It was ceremonial chanting. A woman's scream ripped the air. The scream turned into a gurgle and soon stopped. The guardian ran headlong into a closet door, shattering it to splinters. He then leaped onto the shelves and scrambled his way up to the attic entrance. The door to the attic flew into the air and fell silently into the insulation. Seizing the side of the entrance he hauled himself through and into the darkness above. He waited for his eyes to adjust, the moved towards the firewall.

Cautiously he approached the gateway. He crouched in the shadows, and peered through. What he saw were the silhouettes of his enemies. They bobbed up and down, in rhythm to the chanting, with red eyes glowing in the darkness. The sight of his soon to be victims lightened his soul, knowing this would soon be over. The more excited he got, the brighter the attic seemed to get. He noticed that all the red eyes were now looking at him, and the chanting ceased.

"Oh hell," he whispered as he slowly came out of his hiding place.

The attic was lit as if the very sun shined within it.

The first one that came at him received the pointed end of the pick in the top of his skull. After seeing their comrade fall, they decided to rush him. One seized his arm by the wrist, while another grabbed his throat. The would-be strangler got his head caved in by the flat end of the pick. The guardian then swept the pick's point into the others arm and tore it in half. The fiend let out a howl and, grasping his bloody stump, fell back. The blood splattered onto the guardian, sending him into a battle rage. His blood pounded in his ears and he waded into the ranks of the enemy. In his wake he left nothing but death and before him was nothing but the dying. It could be seen in their eyes.


***
All was silent. His battle rage subsided. As it did sounds slowly made their way to his ears. First was his heavy breathing, then he could hear the blood dripping from the attic to the carpeted floor below. Then came that all too familiar sound. The rhythmic chanting of the devils reached his ears. His blood boiled, as he became infuriated. He ran towards the attic entrance and leaped into it. The cover shattered to splinters under his weight, and he landed on the closet floor amid shattered shelves and clothes.

With his head down he surveyed the room from under his brow. He saw no movement or hint of his enemy, so he stood and took a step into the bedroom. Out of the corner of his eye he saw movement. Instantly his legs coiled and launched him into the air towards the movement. Glass shattered against his outstretched arms and face; and cold marble slammed into his chest. The bathroom sink gave a little, but not enough. He laid on it and slipped into unconsciousness.

A woman's anguished scream split the air. Shrill at the beginning it gurgled and ended abruptly. Then the chanting began again. One of the devils held the baby in the air and started to dance wildly around the room.

The guardian watched all of this through slitted eyes. One of the devils came up to him, still chanting, and poured a goblet of liquid onto his chest. The liquid burned his chest and caused him to cry out in rage. He lunged out to grab the b*****d and could not move a muscle. He was tightly tied to the railing with a rope as thick as his forefinger.

The dancing devils came back to the one holding the baby. The chanting stopped and one of them came to the guardian with a strange dagger, the blade glinting in the moonlight. The devil plunged it into the wound on the guardians chest. Oddly enough it did not kill him. He watched as the devil wit the dagger turned from him to the baby.

The stabbing had infuriated him and the veins in his body swelled with blood. His heart quickened and he could hear it in his ears. It sounded like the rushing wind.

Suddenly the room went pitch black as the clouds covered the moon. The devils noticed this and chattered nervously among themselves. Lightning flashed and illuminated the room for a split second. Slowly the room became brighter with a blue light.

The devils howled in terror as they saw the source of light came from the ropes that bound the guardian. The one with the dagger rushed him, blade held high. The point touched the guardian's chest and the devil exploded into shards of ice. The three remaining ran for the attics entrance, the closest means of escape. The guardian's eyes burned with blue flames. He pointed a finger at these three, and they were engulfed in blue flames.

He walked over to the baby, where it laid next to its mother's corpse. Lightning flashed outside as he lifted the baby off of the makeshift dais. He had an urge to get to the roof. He cradled the baby in his arm and climbed back into the attic. Once in the attic he punched a hole through the roof and climbed outside.

Lightning seemed to greet him as he stood up and held the baby over his head. A pure white light came from the heavens and engulfed them both. The baby began to rise slowly from his hands towards the sky. The further the baby got from him the dimmer the light around him got. Higher and higher the baby went, until it winked out of sight, taking the light with it. He collapsed on the roof, exhausted, and slept.

***
He awoke in his car, with a steering-wheel imprint on his head. He yawned and looked around the empty parking lot. He remembered that he was supposed to be on his way to St. Louis to visit relatives. Leaning back in the seat he turned the key and his engine jumped to life. Throwing the car in reverse he pulled out of his spot and drove off. He was unaware of a pair of red eyes that watched him from the sewer grate.

© 2018 edloud


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on November 26, 2018
Last Updated on November 26, 2018
Tags: Promethean Saga

Author

edloud
edloud

IN



Writing
Dogs Life Dogs Life

A Chapter by edloud


A Girl & Her Dog A Girl & Her Dog

A Chapter by edloud