Matchbox Cicada

Matchbox Cicada

A Story by efry96
"

I would rather not describe this story to full detail, It's simply a letter to momma! I didn't use any swears (like I usually do) but it's a bit darker then most of my writing. Just a WARNING!

"
Dear Momma,

Another boy was taken away today.

"The Flash, Bring the Flash, all I want is the FLASH!"

He disturbed my sleep and all the other children found him scary, but that's okay.

The hospital hasn't gotten any better but it isn't the worst. A man came in today, I think a doctor. American. He had a thick newspaper printed in beautiful American letters speaking of tremendous acts of despair...

Momma, they got real hurt, real bad.

Not us though, we weren't as near.

My hand is getting better! The skin stopped peeling and I could see the bubbles rise from the top. The doctor popped them and this clear green fluid ran slowly. Like a nice river, or a cold ice treat melting. Always melting.

If I wasn't on pain killers I wouldn't have found it as entertaining.

It's hard to sleep, remember the cicadas? I remember the cicadas, all gone now.

All gone.

The cicadas would make the best noises, light chirps, small twinkles, little burps of sound, that's when you knew that summer was coming.

Now there's a different sound. I hate it.

Many of the kids don't have their hearing any more, but I do. What I hear is true terror.

Screams and squeals.

Hisses, moans, gargles.

All happening at once, but it isn't as bad as the boy right across from me.

I think he was mentally ill before all this, the doctors said he pulled out his own tongue because of all the pain.

They sewed his jaw up but he still tries to get in.

He has broken nearly all his teeth to the point that they chatter when he tries to speak.

We call him the matchbox cicada, due to the sound.

The doctors are surprised that I've done so well, I bet they'll find cancer.

That's what happens, did you know that?

Once a pretty girl came in, all in a red dress with nice long black hair.

"How could she have lived?"

"This is unbelievable"

"Gorgeous!"

She died from cancer in the blood (I forget what they called it Momma, Leuk something?)

Poor girl.

Poor me.

I feel my brain suffers here, just like my body. I wish I was in America.

Sun on my face.

Nice long farms.

A cold soda.

It's okay though, because the American man said he had something for me, and he wasn't lying Momma!

A nice big Coke bottle just for me!

These doctors can be mean, not the American though!

Some doctors fool around, just like how daddy fooled around with you, but the girls cry, they sob.

I usually cover my eyes and try to with my hands. Burns, they are every where though. I'm forced to watch, I'm force to listen.

Was I a bad boy Momma? did I deserve this, I wish I was buried in the ground, just like you.

The bombs hurt Momma, the visions hurt Momma. Everything Momma. It hurts.

If only....





© 2015 efry96


Author's Note

efry96
I tried to write as I was a child, hope it worked for you guys!

Also I may have been pretty vague about what time and place this is set in so I hope you guys can guess ( It was a true past event!)

Although if you guys don't like how I didn't put the place in, I can work it in some how!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on September 4, 2015
Last Updated on September 4, 2015
Tags: Contest, Short Story, Haunting, Not in the Box but Far Away From

Author

efry96
efry96

Boston , MA



Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by efry96


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by efry96