L'arbre

L'arbre

A Poem by eglantine

There are fifty leaves

left on the tree that's rooted

in my October heart.

 

They tremble when I breathe

and whisper when I speak.

 

As a child, I would rest

my palm on the old

crab-apple tree's twisted

flesh and sit between its

teeth, ask for its' name.

 

My tree does not know

the nimble taste of light or the

decadence water knits

and its trunk is wrapped

with veins that bloom

in colors that don't yet exist.

 

It trembles when I speak

and whispers when I breathe.

© 2012 eglantine


Author's Note

eglantine
put the comma back in after reading comments, I feel the urge of it's presence

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love the flow (apparently there's been an edit, but I can't imagine you changed it too much). I like the way you turned the last stanza around in repetition.
I like how the roots taste soil instead of light, and as you describe it, it's like you're telling each other a story. Similarly, you further, and perhaps more subtly and powerfully, express a subtle disconnection with the outside world as you connect the reader with time when you describe veins/colors. It's an interesting contrast you create between fantasy/reality and history/moment(s) in time. Very interesting to read, thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shmoke-Sifted Heftlander

11 Years Ago

I think the last line of the debated stanza needs the word "ask" needs to be "asking", or another "a.. read more



Reviews

I really like this, beginning to end.

Posted 11 Years Ago


your poetry is so visual and you make me see your tree/heart. great work :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautiful words, beautiful flow... I see nothing wrong with the structure of this poem... How a poem is constructed creates a certain image that may be interpreted in many ways... You change its structure and it holds a different meaning... Everything matters in a poem, and how the writer portrays his/her thoughts defines their personality.... nice work...

Posted 11 Years Ago


You should tell someone about what you're trying to scream out...unless I'm reading this all wrong and am making a giant butt of myself...oh well, I accept it and whale. Anyway, even if this isn't about you trying to get something out, drink SleepyTime vanilla tea and some popcorn because I will make up a story: write now. HA. i'm so punny. (This will be interesting) I saw the small dog, mocking me while it died in the gutter. Standing there I was puzzled because, how could a dying dog say I'm lower than him? I slowly walked up to the dying dog and picked him up from his front paws, He was a small beagle, but I danced with him. We danced until he died because I wanted his last minutes to be something fun rather then belittling a random stranger. Even though I was sad that he made fun of me, I knew his ghost would be at peace. I picked him up, and brought him home. I got my shovel from the back shed and dug a hole and filled it with the diamonds of my whales. Then I cremated the dog with honer and went inside my house and cried myself to sleep. Why am I so alone.

Posted 11 Years Ago


JohnnyMagrinho

11 Years Ago

Like 'Family Guy' kind of awkward. You know, when Peter does his "tssssssss OOOh. Erm, it's OK...." .. read more
JohnnyMagrinho

11 Years Ago

That's the most disgusting looking comment I've ever made anywhere online.
eglantine

11 Years Ago

bwhahahaha
ooh i like this. i like "october heart"
"in colors that don't yet exist" is interesting, too.
i think its one of your best.
:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

Thanks :D
I love the flow and feel.. it reads smooth and well to me... I love the free flow of it..xo well done..xo

Posted 11 Years Ago


I'm really happy to see that comma again. I'm glad you've gone back to what you original felt whilst writing the poem. It's important you express yourself naturally as well as within the confines of a well-worded poet.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

Ya, thanks for sticking up for me... I orginally wanted it, but felt the need to please the audience.. read more
JohnnyMagrinho

11 Years Ago

No problem. I f*****g hate stupid people who think they are clever and understand s**t like poetry o.. read more
The refrain just made the piece for me. As for the whole comma thing, I read it both ways and it felt comfortable either way. For me, I'm just going to go with what you, as the writer, prefer.

But anyways, beautiful piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


In response to 'w' and his suggestion, I too, cannot agree with his rationalisation as I think what he is saying makes very little sense as LHS has stated, this is a poem and not a short story.

A comma is the difference between poetic subtlty and poor grammar, but I think there should be more of an open mind about the use of punctuation when it comes to pieces such as this.

I think this poem is incredibly well written with a huge amount of angst and inner conflict. It seems as though the poet has some sort of conflict that is impossible to ignore and has gone to grow within him but at the same time struggle to grow much more. It's as if this tree is a strong symbol of that conflict as well as the aftermath; a tree losing it's leaves, growing old and stalwart and becoming further permanent in its standing.

I adore how dark and forboding the poem is. This is probably about something far more serious than you're letting on, and that subtlty is haunting in its prowess, and I am especially fond of the nostalgia found in the child who would rest his palm on the apple tree. It's delightful.

I am no stranger to offsetting pace or using strange manipulation of rhyming schemes, so I am a definite fan of what you have ended up with.

I think it's very understated but very raw without being pretentious or poorly worded.

That bit about the teeth and the child and the tree. That makes me want to grind my teeth and tear at my flesh. It's like you were biting your lip when you wrote that part.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Shmoke-Sifted Heftlander

11 Years Ago

well said.
Shmoke-Sifted Heftlander

11 Years Ago

one thing I got out of it, was possibly a child's perspective of a relationship with an elderly rela.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1144 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on July 6, 2012
Last Updated on July 6, 2012

Author

eglantine
eglantine

Somewhere Someplace



About
I graduated with my B.A. in English (emphasis creative writing) My ultimate goal is to be the U.S. Poet Laureate and to be a college professor of poetry. I'm a wildflower with a poetic soul. I'm als.. more..

Writing
Insomnia Insomnia

A Poem by eglantine



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Woman Woman

A Poem by eglantine