What some of us have become

What some of us have become

A Poem by eglantine

I'm tired of all this twenty-first

century, egoistic rap-crap.  I want

to sip on an apple martini and tap my

foot to the grand swing of a 1950's

big brass band.  No gyrating,

'f**k-me' grinding, but playful

and genuine dancing--rhythmic

motion responding to that large

golden sound and smiling because

being spun, rolled out like a clarinet

trill, and then wrapped

back into hand-in-hand is so much

more flirtacious than plams on the

floor and butt straight up in the air.

© 2012 eglantine


Author's Note

eglantine
Just plopped that title there... prob going to change it cuz that one sucks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

lol. you're much too young to be nostalgic for the good old days of swing. hell, that was even a little before my time and i'm old as dirt (old as rock anyway). but i do agree with you. we've lost all subtlety in recent years. society's not likely to turn around, but it's nice to know some of us do look back and find an appreciation for what we might have missed.
i have a sudden yen to listen to benny goodman's Sing Sing Sing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I totally agree with this one. What ever happened to the days when being a dancer didn't require you to be a circus acrobat? And the term "rap music"; when did rap become music? I've always called rap music "rape music"--it rapes the ears, rapes a human's heart, rapes the heart of music and violates it until its virtuous beauty is destroyed and soiled, ravaged by ugliness, violence and a severe lack of talent and grace.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Best poem of the morning. Hands down. AM hooked. Very in your face tone. Meter is great. Enjambment works in your favor.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I completely agree!

Posted 11 Years Ago


You should name it: The Nostalgic Whale
This makes me smile.
That's all that counts.
and that's more then enough for it to be wonderful.
I really think that this is a whaleiful write and it shows a lot of what I think.
But not just because it relates to me,
But because it send a powerful message about why we all are so much different the what we used to be, and we changed for the worse and it gets worse every year. Very whale of you to write this and it's very brave for someone as young as you to say that we all just suck. And I completely agree, I just wish there were more young people like us who think that way.

Posted 11 Years Ago


YES. I really, really enjoy this a lot. For starters, I read it in my head as a spoken word poem; it worked well and I love that genre!
Also, I completely agree with everything you've expressed here. I'm quite certain we were born in the wrong year. hahah
Very well done, indeed! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I couldn't agree more !! I prefer a softer and more melodyc rhythm than rap and i'm definitely not into the "lexic" they use all the time in their songs ... that's why i prefer R&B and am starting to enjoy country music :)
Great way of showing your opinion and easy to relate with :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


life fails if you look back too much so
i have no idea what happens if you are this nostalgic for a time you never existed in! :P I suspect your heart will flame an insufferable sadness.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The second to the last line should be "palms on the floor...." Am I right?

I agree with what you say here though. And your ideas/words are insightful.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Damned booty dance. I personally haven't been to a club like that in years. Last time I went out I was listening to live blue grass Americana. The band was Stray Birds. Extraordinarily talented kids. I don't consider rap music it is more like beat poetry boyyeeeeee!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really enjoy this, I can relate to the meaning and feelings of this. Great work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

557 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 20, 2012
Last Updated on June 20, 2012

Author

eglantine
eglantine

Somewhere Someplace



About
I graduated with my B.A. in English (emphasis creative writing) My ultimate goal is to be the U.S. Poet Laureate and to be a college professor of poetry. I'm a wildflower with a poetic soul. I'm als.. more..

Writing
Insomnia Insomnia

A Poem by eglantine



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..