MEDIOCRITY IS NOT OKAY RIGHT NOW

MEDIOCRITY IS NOT OKAY RIGHT NOW

A Story by Elise Anton
"

Why I pulled my sons out of school...

"

We recently moved back to the city after spending eight years down on the Mornington Peninsula. You’ve probably never heard of it but it’s a little piece of heaven.


A large calm bay on one side, with an endless procession of large container ships and cruise lines heading for the distant port or the very narrow Heads… Rolling hills, wineries; cows, horses, and sheep in lush paddocks, and yeah, kangaroos, echidnas and other native animals.


On the other side, huge sandstone cliffs and pounding surf, rock pools and the odd whale or two passing every winter, heading north.


My children’s Primary School was directly opposite the beach. Sport included long bike rides on the path along the shore, sailing, swimming, water safety, and cross-country running. They’d often bring home these colourful certificates: “Congratulations, you came 37th in the triathlon.” Or, “Well done, you finished 24th in the cross country run.” I have a whole collection of these. We had quite a laugh, unpacking them at the new house.


Neither was into sports. They tried karate, table tennis, soccer, and my oldest boy even joined the local footy team for a season. He sucked at it. The team sucked. Not only did they not win a match all year, they also failed to score a single goal. Big fat zeros week after week, in the rain and the mud.


Sometimes I stood on the rail surrounding the field, near the coach. Often I was the ‘orange’ mum, handing out oranges cut into quarters during the breaks in play. My son I think was around twelve at the time. The ‘coach’ was father to one of the players.


I’ve always been competitive by nature. As is my brother, who has now reached the pinnacle in his chosen sport. I’m not one of those mums though who insist on filling up their children’s free time with extra-curricular activities. Their lives are their own, not mine to dictate.


Here’s what bothers me: Mediocrity is now not only acceptable, but also encouraged. The school did this, with their colourful ‘awards’ and ‘ribbons’ for EVERY child participating.  The coach �" “Now listen here guys, we’re playing against one of the strongest teams. You won’t win, but get out there and have fun.” I actually heard him say that!


Eager young faces drooped. How the hell do you play a game you are told you will lose in advance? Where’s the fun in that? I pulled the coach up, after hearing several versions of this message.


“Um, shouldn’t you be encouraging them to win? You know, firing them up, inspiring them maybe? They haven’t won a bloody game for weeks!”


“It’s not about winning at this age!” He was reprimanding me! “That’s why we don’t start showing a ladder until they’re over fourteen.” (A ladder meaning showing where the team sits during a season, including wins/losses, points/goals and other statistics.)


“It is about winning you moron!” I actually said that! My son was constantly receiving the message: ‘It’s not about who wins, it’s about having fun’. It bothered me. Of course he quit at the end of the season, after lining up to get his ‘participation trophy’ and ‘not missing a game’ award. I don’t think he saw the fun of it like the coach had promised?


So when did we start treating children like they will break or need therapy if we don’t applaud their mediocrity? I remember when I was growing up, there were only ever three ribbons: First (blue), Second (red), Third (green). You either won and got a trophy or you lost and got nothing. If your school-work was unsatisfactory you failed subjects. Sometimes you had to repeat a year.


Now everyone gets something. “Congratulations, you finished last.” In and out of school, the message is the same: Good on you, you’re awesome, here’s your reward for trying. No one fails any more, no one is made to repeat a year, at least in this country.


I think ahead and wonder where the future leaders, the innovators, the free-thinkers will come from. Certainly not from this bunch of highly decorated and yet appallingly mediocre kids.


Not from teachers who write “Great effort” and ignore the dozen or so spelling mistakes or miscalculations. Nor from the coaches who say “It’s okay. You lost the game, but you had fun out there, right?”


Life is not “fun”. Life is tough; full of pain, loss, suffering and tragedy. Life is also filled with adventure, beauty, wonder and mystery. These kids are ill-equipped to handle the first and ill-prepared to seek the latter.


“But we can’t hurt their feelings!” one teacher said when I pulled her up on an essay with several ignored mistakes written by my youngest son. I asked her to cross out the “Well done” and instead highlight the errors and tell my son he needed to bring it back with the mistakes corrected.  She refused. “It’s not about the errors, it’s the fact he tried his best!”


How could she ever know what my son’s “best” was, if she continued to encourage his ‘less than best’?


My oldest boy got ‘detention’ for correcting his English teacher. True! He put his hand up to point out that a word she’d written on the board was incorrect. She didn't like his "insubordination". He also got detention for putting one foot on a garden bed, which was ‘out of bounds’, in a system where obedience is valued more than knowledge. 


I pulled them out of school and out of all ‘supervised’ activities.  Unschooled them as such; leaving them in charge of their own education. 


Have I ruined their lives? If their lives were destined to be lived in cubicles, where their mediocrity continued to be encouraged and where obedience and unquestioning adherence to the ‘rules’ mattered more than creativity and initiative, then sure, I have.


If however, freedom of thought, freedom of choice and the courage to question, seek understanding and explore life beyond the cubicle leads them to wondrous adventures and endless possibilities, then I say screw the system.  


Mediocrity is not okay right now. Or ever.

© 2016 Elise Anton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I've been musing about mediocrity for the last couple of months. I tend to both agree and disagree with what you wrote. I disagree in the part that sport is not about fun. When I was younger, my sport was sailing. And I never loved competition (nor I do today), and I never wanted to go to regattas, or do competitive training. All I desired was sail on my own and enjoy the wind and the sea. Due to this, my sailing skill were even less than mediocre.
However, I do agree that mediocrity is not okay and shouldn't be encouraged but this depends on the mindset of the individual. I cannot come and say "hello, I'm poet" while knowing that I still lack in style and rhythmic skills. A conscious person won't accept "mediocrity" (awards for example) or critique/review or whatever that merely inflates the ego and tends to put the person in the herd of mediocrity. It simply won't influence them.
This reminds me of the film Amadeus, where in the end the narrator (the composer Salieri) comparing himself to Mozart declares himself the king of mediocrities and goes to absolve all other mediocrities around.
I admire your strong will, and I imagine it was not easy to keep your principles in this whirlwind of "opposite principles".

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

Ha ha! I had this routine see, go to sleep at eight, wake sometime between two and three in the morn.. read more
Stefano Segnan

8 Years Ago

Glad to hear they are having a positive effect in the end. Many people need a time on their own, I c.. read more
Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

We moved from what I called paradise back to suburbia. No hikes up the hill to magnificent views, no.. read more



Reviews

I've been musing about mediocrity for the last couple of months. I tend to both agree and disagree with what you wrote. I disagree in the part that sport is not about fun. When I was younger, my sport was sailing. And I never loved competition (nor I do today), and I never wanted to go to regattas, or do competitive training. All I desired was sail on my own and enjoy the wind and the sea. Due to this, my sailing skill were even less than mediocre.
However, I do agree that mediocrity is not okay and shouldn't be encouraged but this depends on the mindset of the individual. I cannot come and say "hello, I'm poet" while knowing that I still lack in style and rhythmic skills. A conscious person won't accept "mediocrity" (awards for example) or critique/review or whatever that merely inflates the ego and tends to put the person in the herd of mediocrity. It simply won't influence them.
This reminds me of the film Amadeus, where in the end the narrator (the composer Salieri) comparing himself to Mozart declares himself the king of mediocrities and goes to absolve all other mediocrities around.
I admire your strong will, and I imagine it was not easy to keep your principles in this whirlwind of "opposite principles".

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

Ha ha! I had this routine see, go to sleep at eight, wake sometime between two and three in the morn.. read more
Stefano Segnan

8 Years Ago

Glad to hear they are having a positive effect in the end. Many people need a time on their own, I c.. read more
Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

We moved from what I called paradise back to suburbia. No hikes up the hill to magnificent views, no.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
1 Review
Added on January 25, 2016
Last Updated on January 25, 2016
Tags: writing, thoughts, children, education, mediocrity

Author

Elise Anton
Elise Anton

Australia



About
Hello from downunder! I am one of those people who can just sit and write. It's like breathing for me. I've never shared and never published. It was my thing, my escape, my therapy... I have two so.. more..

Writing