MANUFACTURED MADNESS

MANUFACTURED MADNESS

A Story by Elise Anton
"

The future is now...

"

We are all insane. If we are not insane this instant, then we have been or we will be. We are all mad. All of us; irrespective of age, religion, sex, status or any other official qualifier.


This is because we are all different. We may call ourselves human and exist within the many sub-categories of this term, but we are not identical. We are not clones… yet.


I say our madness is manufactured, because they say we must all conform. Problem is their ideals of this conformity keep shifting, expanding. And this expanding shift is accelerating. As it accelerates, it gathers more and more of us.


We fear the word ‘clone’. Every molecule screams against the idea of us being identical to every other us out there. We rage against the science and the scientists we think are mad; playing around with genes, creating copies we deem ‘unnatural’ or ‘unreal’.


Let’s shift our focus and our rage away from these mad scientists and their abominable experiments for a minute. Leave them be.


Let’s look instead at the REAL cloning taking place every moment of every waking day, everywhere on Earth.


The uniforms our children wear at school, the uniforms we wear at work and play. The name-tags, the titles, the labels, the identification documents, the gadgets, the toys, the media, the arts we consume and produce, the trends we follow… on and on and on.


Every time another identifier is created, be it a social trend, a scientific breakthrough, a cultural norm, a political ideal, a technological advance, we shift and re-arrange ourselves, in order to fit in. If we cannot manage to fit in, we seek help. Medical practitioners, specialists, experts, representatives, guides, critics and leaders, all are waiting to help us blend in. They identify what our resistance is and offer pills, counselling, advice, propaganda, reason, proof


What do we know? As individuals our knowledge is minute compared to the combined expertise of these experts. So many experts! Waiting to help us adjust to the ever-changing environment they create. We trust this immense knowledge base. We give ourselves over because the fear of not fitting in, not keeping up is far greater than any misgivings that might temporarily arise.


Are our children reaching the prescribed milestones? Are we coping with the stresses of living? Are we adequately prepared to face each new and often daunting challenge? Are we keeping up???


Once our children remove their school uniforms, they wear another uniform. Look around. Are they not wearing uniforms?


Once we remove our suits and ties, our heels and make-up, we wear another uniform. Look around!


Lift your head up from your phone or tablet or laptop at the café you sit in. What do you see? Is that you over there, wearing the same jeans and tee-shirt, sporting the same hair-style, drinking the same latte and staring down at the same phone, tablet or laptop? It feels good, it feels safe, right? Belonging is comfortable.


Look at the young girl further along. She has green hair, black lips and many piercings. She’s wearing strange clothes, too. You hear the word ‘f**k’ a lot, her conversation peppered with profanities. How do you feel about her? She’s odd, right? She makes you uncomfortable for a moment. But then your righteousness kicks in. She clearly has a problem. You on the other hand consider yourself well-adjusted, normal. Like everyone else around you.


You believe in democracy, and inherent human rights. You hold sacred the freedoms of liberty, of speech, of movement, of security, and of course, life.


At least you think you do. Sometimes you struggle. The green-haired girl for instance; she has every right to present as she pleases, to speak in the manner she chooses. But why is she not like you, like everyone else around you?  Hmm. It’s a phase, you reason. Once she’s a few years older and the husband comes and the mortgage and the children… she’ll adjust. It’s only a phase.


Hypothetically, if more and more of her started to appear, blue-haired, and orange-haired and purple-haired… if gradually men began sporting bright-coloured hair and odd clothes and piercings, spouting profanities… you’d begin to question if you had somehow slowed, if you were being left behind. Were you the odd one now? Were they staring at you and feeling self-righteous in their collective sameness?


The stress would eventually overwhelm you. You’d seek help. You’d be told “you are depressed, take this pill”. Every type of media from magazines to music videos would pump the message out: “Different is cool!” So you’d dye your hair one day and pierce your eyebrow. Say “f**k” once or twice and notice it’s not really that bad! Now you fitted in again, you could sit in that café and blend right in; the old sense of comfort and security resuming.


Until the day you spot the guy with the bald head and tight-fitting, futuristic one-piece costume, complete with a big A in the middle of his chest. He wore strange glasses and was speaking to himself. “What the hell? What was the world coming to?” you’d think at first. But then your righteousness would kick in. He clearly had a problem. You on the other hand, were normal.


But then A’s and B’s and C’s would start appearing, dressed in those tight-fitting futuristic costumes; bald heads on men and women alike. All wearing those odd glasses, all seemingly talking to themselves, for they held no devices. Suddenly your blue hair and your pierced eyebrow and lip looked odd. You felt out of place.


You noticed Media pumping the same message everywhere you went: “The future is now. Stop living in the past.” Were you living in the past? How had that happened?


The doctor explained it all to you of course, once your anxiety had become overwhelming and you’d sought help: “You need to get off the anti-depressants. Get chipped. You’ll be amazed at how easy everything will seem again. Oh, by the way, you’re a B. I’ve noted this in your file.”


So you took his advice, because he was the expert after all. You got the chip, marvelling at how easy everything was now, just as the doctor said. You purchased the costume with the big B in the centre of your chest. There were some restrictions to your living sure - being a B - but the benefits far outweighed those.


Every time you sat in the café, seemingly talking to yourself but really having conversations with the many other B’s, you looked around. There were only ever letters in the middle of chests. A tiny, niggling thought surfaced from time to time: would there be another trend? Ever again?


Yeah. Don’t be fearing those mad scientists.


You with your suit and tie, the gadget in your hand; you with the yoga pants and pony-tail; you with the odd hair and the piercings; you writing yet another zombie book or reading yet another fantasy novel, or watching yet another reality show; you swallowing the anti-depressant, or the numbing drug, or giving your child the behaviour adjusting medication; you are all insane. The manufactured madness has claimed you and is slowly morphing you into clones.


The future is now and I am as mad as the rest of you.

© 2016 Elise Anton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Now this is something to think about! I like how naturaly you portray the cycle of being 'in' and 'out' and the whole text is very entertaining with a pinch of conspiracionist tone (which works great). It is a topic worth looking into a bit further. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

Oh I am a closet conspiracy nut lol... Could go on and on about it. I was surprised I kept it so sho.. read more



Reviews

Rather than manufactured madness, what you wrote looks to me like manufactured "illusion of choice", but I agree that this illusion of choice can drive someone mad. However, this is nothing new: hasn't Socrates died for being a non-conformist by prising Sparta the archrival of Athens, his city?
Furthermore, I totally agree on the problem of those endless specialists and experts that think their fields have the answers to all the questions of the being. I even agree the problems of democracy and its inherent illusions like freedom of speech.
The problem for me with this kind of "stories" - even though they have a noble pursuit which is awareness - is that it's merely stating the situation, nothing constructive is added to that line of thought. I am not fond of democracy, but for all those criticizing its structure: why don't they find a better system or try to improve the existing one? Alright, I realised I'm a clone, how do I get out to my true self? It's like saying to someone that he is sick and not telling him to try a cure.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

I agree in part. Sometimes though, raising questions and inspiring thought in others may lead to fur.. read more
Stefano Segnan

8 Years Ago

I agree. I did not intend for you to write all the answers, but some particular realisation. For exa.. read more
Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

The children yes. I have been accused of raising anarchists because I pulled them out of the School .. read more
-- hahahaha... what are you smokin' up? ... could you send me some...? lol... jk... :p -- this is an amazing piece of writing about something that i've been studying for the last couple of years... on my own... because of personal reasons... (long story)... but it's called brainwashing... and sadly... all of us (to some extent at least) are brainwashed... but here's the thing... the moment you write about it and post your piece on a public notice board... (irrespective of how many people read it or comment upon it)... you break the momentum... the norm... by being a non-conformist... and that breaks the spell of brainwashing... a lot for you... but at least a little for people around you... (irrespective of whether they've read your piece or not)... because the moment you write and post... you change a little... and that change expresses itself in you... in the way you speak, the words you choose, your tone and all other non-verbals like body language etc. ... -- you might think that one non-conformist can't achieve much but the truth is that there's a ripple effect... -- that's why writers, artists etc. (whether they use profanity or not) are considered non-conformists... they push the envelope (as the expression goes)... but there's also a risk in a community like this one... of being caught in the web of how a society of writers think all writers should write... but i don't think you'd fall into that web easily... not with a mind as perceptive and as articulate as yours... :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

We're not allowed to 'smoke up' here lol, we're not allowed to do pretty much anything, like drink o.. read more
. serah .

8 Years Ago

-- you're very welcome... if it's any comfort, we're not allowed to smoke up here either... and just.. read more
Now this is something to think about! I like how naturaly you portray the cycle of being 'in' and 'out' and the whole text is very entertaining with a pinch of conspiracionist tone (which works great). It is a topic worth looking into a bit further. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

Oh I am a closet conspiracy nut lol... Could go on and on about it. I was surprised I kept it so sho.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 1, 2016
Last Updated on February 1, 2016
Tags: writing, questions, philosophy, life, future, madness, clones

Author

Elise Anton
Elise Anton

Australia



About
Hello from downunder! I am one of those people who can just sit and write. It's like breathing for me. I've never shared and never published. It was my thing, my escape, my therapy... I have two so.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Voice The Voice

A Story by Woody


PROLOGUE PROLOGUE

A Chapter by Elise Anton


I Wish I Wish

A Poem by Woody