Moving

Moving

A Story by Elizabeth Ridge
"

Description: A realistic fiction short story about a family moving.

"
Moving

"Hey Charry! Are you eating some chars for lunch?"
I rolled my eyes as Dan Kart sat down in front of me. "It's chocolate, not chars, dumbo."
Even though I tried not to give any reaction to the annoying people, they would never quit.
Elise, Dan's partner in crime, slid over next to me, grabbing a chunk of chocolate. I sighed and handed her the whole container. Glancing over at my twin sister Kenzie reading her science textbook at the next, I reminded myself I was luckier than her. At least I wasn't obsessed with reading.
Elise, still munching on my chocolate, stood up and walked over to Kenzie, leaving a completely empty container. I stared at it, wishing I had been smart enough to take a bit.
"Hey Char-char!" Dan said, leaning closer. "Do you want to work with me in science?"
I glared at him. Through the corner of my eye I watched as Elise stole Kenzie's chocolate chunks under her nose.
"Please," Dan turned his head slightly like a dog does when it begs for treats.
Before I could say," duh, no," the speakers turned on. "Mckenzie and Charlotte Hathwater, please report to the office."
Smiling, I stood up, giving Dan a little wave as I left. "See ya!"
* * *
"So," my mom said as she drove my sister and me home through the crowded streets.
"So you picked us early from school," I cut in, smiling. "Are we finally gonna move into the house?"
We had recently decided to sell the apartment and move into a house on the farther end of town. Unluckily, I still had to go to the same school.
"Yes, but we need to discuss other things too."
I glanced excitedly at Mckenzie, but she was too busy reading her science textbook. I sighed and stared at my backpack, wondering if "other things" included my grades.
"Are we picking up Kyle from Highschool too?" I asked, peering out the window as the streets began to thin out as we came closer to where my brother's school was placed.
My mother ignored my question and continued driving. I ended being correct. In no time we parked outside the school with Kyle waiting on the entrance stairs. He walked up to the car, yanked the passenger seat door open, and steeped in, plopping his backpack lazily on the floor.
When we finally reached the parking lot of our apartment, I jumped out and ran to the door, itching to start packing.
"Be patient," my mom called from where she and my siblings were pulling out groceries from the trunk. I noticed Kyle had been given a gallon of milk while Kenzie was carrying three large bags.
Finally, my mom unlocked the door and I raced up stairs, throwing my back pack at the door. In Kenzie's and my room were piles and piles of boxes. Without hesitating, I started putting all the clothes lining the walls into a box.
'No more tiny room,' I picked up a large pile of pants. 'No more sharing,' I dropped the pile into a box. 'No more drowning in puddles of books,' I picked up a stack of Kenzie's journals. 'I'm done with this place!'
In barely any time I had stuffed all Kenzie's and my possessions in the boxes.
I walked out of the room to find my m and my siblings doing the same with the living room and kitchen.
"Did our room," I called over the shuffling of moving items.
"Nice," my mom called back,"do Kyle's."
If it was any other day, I would have never agreed to go into that jungle. But today was just too exciting. I rushed into my brother's room and began to stuff piles of unfolded clothes into the boxes. Unlike the neat, organized boxes in the other bedroom, Kyle's boxes had no particular order. This surprisingly made everything a whole lot easier. I didn't have to care about anything. I managed to finish quicker than I had Kenzie's and my room.
"So when are we going?" I asked at dinner that night.
"That's the other thing I wanted to talk about," my mom answered, spooning some sliced pickles out of a jar. "Not until next Saturday."
I gaped at her. "That's like a whole other week to get through!"
"Don't worry," my other mom, Mother, answered. "I assure you that it'll pass in no time. "
* * *
And she was right. A whole lot sooner than I thought, we were packing the cars and driving off into the sunset. It was the perfect moment. Everyone seemed excited-maybe not Kyle- and the clear blue sky was changing to a slight pink. The breeze was light and playful and every creature on Earth seemed to be on our side. The annoying birds now sounded like beautiful songs and the loud, rock music from the neighbors down stairs became comforting.
It was all going perfectly until I saw the mailbox.
"Why does it say Kart? It should say Hathwater."
"Well," Mother said, brushing down her black business coat,"they are the people who we bought it from."
Before Mom said it aloud, I knew. I knew I had known as soon as I saw Kart."
"The Kart family has a nice boy that is in your grade. Dan I think is his name," my mom said, smiling.
"I think I know him," I lied. Kenzie raised an eyebrow, but didn't say anything.
Not as optimistic as before, I stepped into the house. After all the pictures of it and the planning of who's room will be what. I found myself wishing for the old apartment. Even if it was small, it wasn't tainted with Dan Kart.
I had memorized where all the rooms were. I knew the stairs led to four rooms, a bathroom and three bedrooms. I knew the rooms on either side of me were the family room and living room. I knew behind the family room was the kitchen and the dining room was behind the living room. I knew the third floor had three rooms. Two bedrooms and a bathroom. I knew where every piece of furniture was going to put. I knew which bedroom was mine. I thought I knew everything about the house, but I hadn't. If I did, I would've known Dan had poisoned this house with every breath he took.
"Come on now," Mom said from behind me. "Let's sulk layer and pack now."
I followed her out to the car. I picked up my backpack, full of the things I needed until the moving truck came Wednesday. I trudged up the stairs to the third floor where I had chosen to sleep. The bedroom looked so lonely now. Only a plain white mattress laid in the middle of the floor. I was just about to go downstairs and help carry the food to the kitchens when something caught my eyes. A tear in the flowery pink wall paper in the corner of the room. I had memorized what this room looked like from the pictures and I knew that was not there before.
My excitement hurried back to me me and I ran over. Small white words peeked through from the black wall paper behind. I squinted and made out the word "kill". Shocked, I fell backwards onto my backpack. Then I noticed their were more letters peeking out. Nervously, I peeled back the flowery wallpaper. The old paint felt rough on my sweaty fingers and the floor seemed to be swaying.
When all the words were revealed, I saw: "I had a kill time with you Char-char. See you someday in the future!"
I nearly laughed. How could have I been so blind? Of course he knew I would be moving here and of course he that meant he would be leaving this town. I really was done with Dan! Smiling, I began to unpack.
* * *
On Monday during lunch I found Dan.
"Thanks so much for not telling me," I said smoothly. "Ruined my day until I saw I wouldn't have to put up with you."
Dan shrugged."Not my fault that your parents decided to move into that house."
I glared at him, my hands tightly grasped my lunch box. "Say it."
And he did with his brown eyes meeting mine. "Sorry."

© 2016 Elizabeth Ridge


Author's Note

Elizabeth Ridge
This story I wrote during a free write, so a lot won't make sense. Keep a look out for that please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This story is a fun little glimpse into the ups & downs of moving, well-described by the adolescent narrator. I like the way the excitement of moving was conveyed, thru SHOWING (rather than telling) thru-out the story. At the end, it's not crystal clear how these things tie together: (1) bummed to be going to the same school, (2) then, bummed to be moving to the house of her nemesis, but then (3) she felt happy Dan Kart was moving away. It's possible to figure it out, but I had to think about it for awhile. Anyhow, the whole feel of the piece was appropriate for the ages of the characters & the tone was consistent thru-out. Good job!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 7, 2016
Last Updated on February 7, 2016
Tags: Moving, house

Author

Elizabeth Ridge
Elizabeth Ridge

About
Hello, viewers and followers, my name is Elizabeth Ridge, but please call me Liz. I love giving out free reviews and comments, so you're welcome to post a link and a short description to a book down b.. more..

Writing