Death from Words

Death from Words

A Story by emilyfulken

It was a Friday morning, when the body was found. Today, was supposed to be busy teaming with people meeting their favorite authors and getting signatures etc... it was then, when she was discovered, everything stopped.

Katie Lou's body was found, on the floor, in the women's restroom. She was a bestselling murder mystery writer. The interesting part was that she died exactly like a character from her last book. Poisoned and left in the restroom.

Detectives were puzzled. Many people entered and left. They couldn't narrow it down as to which individual killed Katie.

The police were holding everyone inside, until the murderer was found.

The remaining authors...were frightened. Each one also wrote a murder mystery novel recently and were wondering if they, too, were next..

Detective Manning was a former Navy Seal. He went into solving crimes as a detective after his sister was killed. Ever since then, he devoted himself to helping the police catch murderers.

"Now, ladies. Can you tell me, if any person was focused too much on Katie Lou, or if anyone made threats to her? Was she acting strange before...?"

J.T. Ellison shook her head no. Brenda Novak shook her head as well. Next, was Agatha Christie and Janet Evanovich...both didn't know anything either. The other authors not quite so well-known were Megan Blair and Sally Johansen.

Sighing...Detective Manning felt frustrated. Surely, someone saw something.

"Sir, she seemed fine, until she read a piece of mail that came personally delivered to her. I think that occurred at 12:15 when lunch was served to the authors. Katie seemed to be looking over her shoulder a lot after reading it. And it was a letter of death."

Detective Manning looked over the young woman. "And you are, miss?"

"Dani Urban, sir."

"Dani, how did you know it was a death letter?"

"I saw her crush it and toss it into a bin...and I picked it out of there, sir. I was curious as to what it said that she reacted so?"

"Do, you still have this note, Miss Urban?"

"Yes, sir. Right here..."

Dani handed over the note inside a baggie.

"I didn't want to touch it with my hands so, I used the bag...to preserve as much evidence, sir."

Detective Manning looked over Dani rather intensely. As though seeing her for the first time. He studied her for a brief moment longer then asked, "why are you here, at this author event?"

"I'm a huge fan of the author's standing here, beside me, sir. I didn't know Katie Lou that well. But as a book reviewer, I do know that she was killed the exact same way as a character from her lastest novel. Isn't that a bit strange?"

"Yes, indeed it is. You said her latest book?"

"Yes, sir."

"Thank you, Miss Urban. I will take this note as evidence and look into the other information you gave me. I ask that you do not go around telling...

"...everyone and to keep quiet about the how she might have died and why. Yes, I know."

"Detective Manning, if I dare say...I have a copy of Katie Lou's most recent book, right here, in my purse..."

"That would be very helpful, Miss...?"

"Mrs. and call me. Brenda. Brenda Novak."

"Thank you, for this book. I'll return it, after the investigation. Anyone else have any other information for me?"

"No, sir." We all answered.

Detective Manning looked over at Dani before retreating.

"OMG! Do you think any of us might be next?" J.T. Ellison asked.

"We might be..." Agatha Christie said silently.

Janet Evanovich couldn't believe it. They all might be in danger...a lunatic was somewhere nearby. Hopefully, the police will catch whoever did it.

****

The next afternoon, another body was found. This time, it was one of the lesser known authors. Megan Blair was found struck from behind by a heavy object. Detective Manning was wondering, if she too, died like a character of hers from her latest book.

After evidence was bagged, he went searching for Miss Urban. Perhaps, she knew the answer.

"Ah, Detective Manning, we meet again. How may I help you?"

"Another body was found..."

"Who?" The authors around Dani asked.

"Megan Blair."

"Let me guess, struck from behind?"

"As a matter of fact, yes. And let me guess...as a Reviewer you read her latest book and knew how she died?"

"No."

"No?"

"That's right, Detective."

"Then how?" Brenda asked Dani.

"Megan Blair, selected only a few readers to ask her questions...so, one reader, if I remember correctly asked specifically how was a character going to die in this book?"

"And?"

"Megan Blair, replied back saying a blow to the head..."

"Do you know who this reader was?"

"No, but I do know this person was beyond interested in that question...because he, or she asked where the body would be found and how did the murderer do it...what tools necessary...and well, any sane person like Megan Blair got frightened and said no, she couldn't release the details."

"Then, the Reviewer disappeared altogether. Any evidence of the Reviewer being there was gone. I know this because at the time, Megan Blair commented saying so..."

Detective Manning eyed Dani again using that intense stare that would make many step away. However, Dani stayed out staring him right back.

Was that a bit of defiance in her eyes? Detective Manning wondered. Her blue eyes were pretty to look into, if he had the time under different circumstances...he may have even ask her out...but there was a murderer to be caught.

When he left, Dani felt a bit disappointed. She rather liked helping the detective. It was fun. He was most attractive in the rough around the edges way...

****

"Sir, we think we found the culprit."

"Then, let's go..."

After reaching the door to the staff room being used like a prison room, both Detective Manning and Sergeant Williams found a young police office lying beside the open door.

Looking inside, the murderer was gone.

Sergeant Williams perched down and found the young officer to still be alive.

"He's alive, sir. Get all men to search everyone. An officer was injured."

Detective Manning looked at the center's cameras. Saw that the murderer went towards...the group of authors.

"Sergeant Williams, gather your men, I know where the murderer is."

"Yes, sir."

Running in the direction the detective was just at, the police followed close by...

The door to the room was locked.

"Damn it!"

Stepping back, the Detective kicked the door open.

"I wouldn't come inside detective...unless you want this lady dead..."

Dani was held at gun point. Sally Johansen was lying on the floor...still breathing but surrounded by the other authors.

"Not uh, back away...Detective. Or else I pull the trigger..."

"You do that and you're a dead man."

"Shoot him, please...." Dani begged the detective.

"Shut up, b***h!"

Dani, looked at the detective and said, on a count of three, shoot him.

"One, two, three!"

Dani stepped on the man's foot and the detective shot him.

"Well done, Detective. I'm glad you were here."

The police took grab of the murderer, cuffed him, and left.

"Are you ladies all right?"

"We're fine." Brenda Novak said.

"I have an EMT coming to get her...ah, here he is." Sergeant Williams moved aside and went with them as they ushered the poor writer out of the room.

"Well, that was definitely something we don't see happen all the time." Janet Evanovich stated.

"No. You're right. I think I'll put this into a book..." Agatha Christie commented.

"Oh, no. Are you sure? After what happened here..." J.T. Ellison asked.

"Quite sure." Agatha Christie winked at the Detective before leaving.

The others soon followed.

"So, now that is over, am I free to go, Detective?"

Detective Manning looked at the brave woman in front of him. Her dark hair all messed from the murderer grabbing it, her eyes an interesting shade of blue. So, full of emotion...the thought that she almost died didn't rest easy on him...

He was almost too late...

"I know what you're thinking."

"You do?"

"Yes, that it was your fault that you didn't get here sooner."

How easy she was able to read him.

"Well, then...Mis Urban. Can you tell me what I'm thinking, now?" Detective said with a grin...

"No, sir. I cannot."

He was too close for rational thoughts. Before anything else could be said, he leaned in and kissed her. Just a light kiss...then Sergeant Williams walked in saying, "Sir, you're needed. Another body popped up..."

Stepping back, Detective Manning smiled at Dani, before heading out with Sergeant Williams.

Turning back, he said,"I'll come find you when I'm done."

Dani nodded. Lost for words. Watching both men exit, a lightness filled her. Hope for the future seemed great. After all the murderer here, was caught.

© 2018 emilyfulken


Author's Note

emilyfulken
Ignore grammar problems. This is only a rough draft. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on March 2, 2017
Last Updated on May 28, 2018

Author

emilyfulken
emilyfulken

AR



About
I am a college student and a library volunteer. I enjoy reading, writing poems and novels, and proof reading my peers papers. I love books. I gobble them up as fast as I would with my chocolate chip c.. more..

Writing