The 3 Step Guide to Common Mental Disorders

The 3 Step Guide to Common Mental Disorders

A Story by emily joe

1. Depression is like sticking your hand directly into a garbage disposal but because your hand is hidden inside, the people around you can't see what's happening and even though your fingers are a bloody pulpy mess and you're pretty sure you lost your wedding ring by now you keep smiling so how would they even know to ask you "hey Jim, you alright? Got your hand stuck in the disposal?" Especially because you wear nice slacks and attend dinner parties. "You must be okay because I can't see it" is what they're thinking. 

2. Anxiety is the middle school bully that prevents you from doing certain things like sit with them at lunch or talk to "the cool kids". Really though in this case my bully's name is Social A. Nxiety and won't let me ride a bike or drive a car or make important phone calls. The sad part of this is that I'm truthfully a pretty fun gal and if it weren't for my bully...I'd be one of the cool kids too.

3. Codependency is like some futuristic Brave New World s**t. I live in this little lab controlled by your monitors and all is well. But when you leave I'm confused and lost and have a depleted sense of self. Also I kind of want to be controlled and this power struggle is messy and causes #2 which leads to #1.

© 2015 emily joe


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked your thoughts about depression. Depression is a quiet sickness. We learn too late. People are struggling. Easy to put fake face on trick the world. I like how you ended the story. Leading the reader back to step one. A interesting story. Left the reader with something to think about.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 20, 2014
Last Updated on June 15, 2015

Author

emily joe
emily joe

Chicago, IL



About
Emily, 20, currently living in Chicago. Funny story: I dropped out of college after wrangling mental illness my freshmen year and have since been figuring out what the f**k I want to do with me li.. more..

Writing
To The Sun To The Sun

A Poem by emily joe