Drowning My Sorrows

Drowning My Sorrows

A Story by emily joe
"

Taking the cliche 'Drowning My Sorrows' very literally.

"

The water was cold at first. It came out slow, but then faster, and faster. I stepped into the tub, fully clothed in sheets of black. The tattoos on my stomach faded, until the colors twirled around, riding the small waves that my subtle movements had fashioned. I was at peace.

 

 My ears went first; and then my cheeks. The water flooded my flat, imperfect, face, and I smiled. Just before my eyes were consumed by the unforgiving water, I looked over at the toilet, to the half- empty bottle of Jack, and then down to the once white, and now brown, linoleum floor.

 

Under the water, I was finally alone. Nobody could hear my screams, or see the scars. Nobody could hurt me, like the world had always seemed to want to do. I was a mistake of birth, a victim of society, nothing more than a corrupted waste of life.

 

And now I've come to learn that I'm not the only one. Not the only girl, in the only small town, who swore she'd never love. Whose heart was guarded by black, withered leaves of ivy, and thorns. And does the world need any more?

 

The water was cold at first, but now my body is numb. I sank to the bottom, and rid the world of my relentless spirit. Life had nothing left to give me, so I drowned my sorrows in the tub.

© 2010 emily joe


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very surreal piece... I have to wonder bout people who really do such a thing... they believe they are strong for doing it when actually they are weak... I agree with the other person, you leave some to the read as to what happened in the end... did they die literally or find the truth underwater and become born again.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

An all too real scenario that happens more then people
would want to hear. Very tragic write but awareness is
key. Great write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


My friend, you are going to be a very famous author one day.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great job

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like this; it's neat. And it's real. For every human, it leaves a response. Great work, I can see myself in it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agree with River, I would love for you to write a Young adult book....i think you would write for that genre like a Champ!
Watch out Stephanie Meyer....your writing is MUCH better than hers.
More creative...more everything.
You would sell a billion copys. Awesome

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hmm this sounds similar to alot of things my sister writes.
I always say to her, that there needs to be more emotion.
You can not jsut keep one, same feeling, throughout the whole piece and expect people to Empathise(not sympathise).
Like all off your work, its truly great.
You have a lot of talent, i will certainly buy a book of yours!

Posted 13 Years Ago


very good write. very nice word choice. overall very good keep it up

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is very good

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think it's interesting how you almost lose what's going on to the character's thoughts, but the repetition of that first phrase at the end brings you back to the reality of what's happening...
It puts you in the mind of the person without being to blunt about it. A very good piece of writing :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very surreal piece... I have to wonder bout people who really do such a thing... they believe they are strong for doing it when actually they are weak... I agree with the other person, you leave some to the read as to what happened in the end... did they die literally or find the truth underwater and become born again.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

851 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 3, 2010
Last Updated on July 17, 2010

Author

emily joe
emily joe

Chicago, IL



About
Emily, 20, currently living in Chicago. Funny story: I dropped out of college after wrangling mental illness my freshmen year and have since been figuring out what the f**k I want to do with me li.. more..

Writing
To The Sun To The Sun

A Poem by emily joe



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Numb Numb

A Poem by emily joe