It's always been hot

It's always been hot

A Story by enavari
"

A cli-fi short story.

"
In 2023, Sophia Leclerc, a Ph.D. student in climate science, was hunched over her supercomputer, her face bathed in its blue glow. She was examining a new climate model, one that simulated a future nearly unthinkable. It showed greenhouse gas emissions soaring beyond the point of no return, a harbinger of disaster that chilled her to the bone. She went to her mentor, Professor David Finch, a renowned climate scientist. "David," she said quietly, "look at this."
David studied the charts with a growing sense of dread. The graphs were steep cliffs, plummeting towards disaster. "This... this can't be right," he muttered. "We are approaching non-linear effects of climate change... multiple breadbasket failures... wet bulb temperatures killing millions..." Dr. Nathan Mindy, another climate scientist, reviewed the data as well. "Let me check the numbers," he said. His face turned ashen. He looked at Sophia and David. "We are all facing imminent catastrophe!"
Armed with this knowledge, they tried to warn the world. They found themselves in a meeting with President Orlean and her Chief of Staff, Jason Orlean. Sophia presented their findings, trying to make the President understand the gravity of the situation. "Madam President, we're on a fast track to a world where wet bulb temperatures regularly exceed human survival limits!" But the President seemed amused. "Do you know how many 'the-world-is-ending' meetings we’ve had?" she quipped. Jason Orlean leaned back in his chair, grinning at Sophia, "You're going to be affected by irreversible climate impacts, aren't you?"
Despite their dire warnings, the reaction was disappointing. President Orlean and her Chief of Staff, Jason Orlean, seemed amused more than concerned. The media was more interested in ratings than in reporting the urgent threat of climate change. And the wealthy, those with the resources to make a real difference, used their wealth to safeguard themselves instead of investing in solutions. Sophia, David, and Nathan could only watch as the wealthy AI trillionaires began constructing fortified bunkers on remote islands, hoping to wait out the climate crisis.
Elsewhere, John, an ordinary factory worker in Michigan, tuned into his car radio, humming along with the catchy jingle of the 'Up' Wing. The denialist propaganda spouted by this powerful political group resonated with him. "It's always been hot!" they chanted on the radio, dismissing the warnings of the climate scientists as an attack on the 'American Way of Life.' Unbeknownst to John, his world was about to be turned upside down.
Sophia didn't back down. She was on a popular morning show the very next week, attempting to alert the public to the crisis. The hosts, Brie and Jack, dismissed her concerns. Brie looked at Sophia and smiled, "I really liked you, and I despise most people." It was clear they were more interested in ratings and celebrity gossip than in addressing the urgent threat of climate change.
The denial and derision didn't stop. Members of the 'Up' Wing, a prominent political group, took to public forums brandishing snowballs during the winter. They jeered at the concerned scientists and activists, calling them "climate hippy-dippies," accusing them of conspiring to disrupt the 'American Way of Life.' "Look at this snowball," one of them shouted into a microphone during a televised rally, "Does this look like global warming to you?" Laughter echoed through the crowd.
Despite their warnings, nothing changed. Greenhouse gas emissions continued to rise, wildfires became more frequent and more devastating, and the permafrost began to thaw, releasing methane and accelerating the crisis.
"Stay idle and evaluate," was President Orlean's constant refrain, despite the worsening situation. While the working class perished under unbearable heatwaves and famines, she remained steadfast in her stance.
Crop failures led to famine. Heatwaves killed millions. Coastal cities vanished under rising sea levels. And still, those in power failed to take the necessary action.
When the impacts of the climate crisis grew too severe to ignore, President Orlean finally decided to act, swayed by the Public's push for immediate, visible action. Instead of seeking counsel from climate scientists like Sophia, David, and Nathan, she arranged a meeting with a representative from an obscure private corporation peddling a so-called quick fix: aerosols.
In the grand meeting room, a slick-haired salesman presented his solution with theatrical flair. "Madam President, our aerosols are the miracle you've been waiting for. Not only are they affordable, but they also double as a hair product! Imagine, battling global warming and bad hair days all in one!" he gushed, grinning like a cat that caught the canary.
President Orlean, never one to pass up a practical solution, seemed intrigued despite herself. "And you're sure these... aerosols, as you call them, will fix the climate issue?" she asked, a skeptical eyebrow raised.
"Absolutely, Madam President!" the salesman reassured her with a confidence that was almost convincing. "They're designed to block out the sun's rays, reducing global warming. It's a simple, elegant solution."
"What about potential side effects?" she asked, seeming to consider the proposal seriously.
"Well, as with any solution, there may be minor complications..." the salesman began, but his voice was drowned out by the cries of desperation from Sophia, David, and Nathan, who could foresee the disastrous consequences of this misguided solution. However, their voices remained unheard, and the decision was made. The aerosols were released into the atmosphere, paving the way for an even graver catastrophe.
By blocking the sun, the aerosols disrupted the essential process of photosynthesis. Plants died en masse, collapsing food chains, and halting the absorption of carbon dioxide. Within a year, the situation worsened beyond their most dire predictions.
John's world came crashing down when his hometown fell victim to a freak tornado followed by devastating floods. Watching his life wash away before his eyes, he finally understood the reality of the climate crisis. "I've been lied to," he whispered, regret coursing through him.
Despite the escalating disaster, the 'Up' Wing persisted with their denialist propaganda. Nathan's desperate cry, "We're all gonna be affected!" fell on deaf ears during a news interview. Even the wealthy AI trillionaires were not spared. Their fortified islands were decimated by an unprecedented hurricane, their wealth and technology powerless against nature's fury.
By 2038, the world was a shadow of its former self. Jason Orlean, who had once dismissed their warnings with a confident grin, was a broken man. "Look out! You'll never save me from the climate crisis!" he cried out in despair. Sophia, David, and Nathan, the ignored prophets of this catastrophe, were left with a world crumbling around them. "We tried to tell them," Sophia murmured, her voice heavy with regret. "But they chose to ignore the signs."

© 2023 enavari


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on July 22, 2023
Last Updated on July 22, 2023
Tags: Sci-Fi, Climate, Dystopian, Parady

Author