Amelia

Amelia

A Poem by Entrelesnuages

Amelia doesnt write her words down but there are still stories at her fingertips. The words that emerge from between her lips are bland.  Stale Saltine crackers.  Plain cottage cheese.  If you close your eyes its just another teenager babbling.

But there is poetry in her gestures.  Poetry in the way she unthinkingly, unsubconsciously pulls at skin on either side of her neck just because it feels good. Shes sitting down but when you watch her you already know shes a dancer.  Her fingers making eloquent pirouettes by the rosy apples of her cheeks rolling out all the metaphors she doesnt quite know how to phrase. 

Each fingers perfect articulations inscribing sensory imagery straight into the air.  Amelia doesnt need words the same way if you speak 3 languages you dont pass through the second to arrive at the third.  Each slight tremble of her hands as she giggles imparts delicate scent directly into the real world.  

Her hands dont dance on a typewriter. The world is her keyboard and her perfectly arched hands waltz over it all laughing at our preconceptions of limitations playing Beethoven as they scramble across a laptops keys writing out yesterdays biology homework.  Finding ancient worn words that Microsoft would scoff at on the rusty vintage keys on her necklace she fingers haphazardly as she speaks.

They have such grace that they dance in spite of her.

You feel her story floating toward you when you watch them fox trotting with a damp kleenex mopping up behind her tears when she pulls the covers all the way up to her chin and doesnt feel like talking.

They fill in the umms in her oral presentation swirling explaining calmly on her behalf that somethings are to big to capture in a single word while her mouth still stumbles, glancing at her notes before giving up and moving on.

  Mostly shes unaware of them.  Shes busy.  And shes tired.  A lot. When she slouches in her old beat up pajamas with no makeup on she doesnt feel pretty.  But take one look at those hands one tensed around a steaming mug of jasmine tea the other combing her cascading hair back off her face and you feel it.  Take one glance at those twirling fingers and you know shes a dancer.  Take one glance at those amazing fingers and even though shes unaware, you know:  Shes beautiful.    

© 2013 Entrelesnuages


Author's Note

Entrelesnuages
more a passage than a poem

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
Added on January 2, 2013
Last Updated on January 2, 2013

Author

Entrelesnuages
Entrelesnuages

San Francisco, CA



About
I was born in NYC but I live in San Francisco. I live to read and write a little bit of everything. My favorite book would have to be Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I believe the secret of happines.. more..

Writing