Overcoming Your Fear, Facing the Villain

Overcoming Your Fear, Facing the Villain

A Story by Edouble
"

In his quest for the jewel, Conley faces his fears.

"

Conley had sought out the jewel with his companion because he had been overlooked all of his life by strangers, by friends, and even by the companion who traveled with him that day. His name never touched the lips of anyone in the town when they spoke of the children who were smart, artistic, and brave.  What about potential? Did anyone think that he had the potential to be anyone of those things? No. It had never occurred to anyone to tell him that he had even that. He was just the nice, non threatening boy, the one whose little heart everyone would bless, and he hated it.

As the clock ticked down, he recounted the blessing that patronized him. He ground his teeth at the memory. “Bless your little heart,” they would say smiling, before immediately turning their attention to the children for whom their excitement was genuine. 

“Just you wait” thought Conley.  When I get this jewel you’ll be begging for me to bless you.

The boy’s stomach was hollow.  It was the hunger, a hunger that had been with him for as long as he could remember.  It was the hunger for the acknowledgement and affirmation. He wanted everyone to pay attention to him.  He wanted to be placed on that pedestal.  If only he could get his hands on that jewel. There it was on the table, glittering and pink, bathing the room in its resplendence. He knew that he must have it, even it meant losing the friendship of his companion.

His mortal enemy was one of the “bless your heart people. But unlike everyone else who blessed him, the enemy’s blessing was meant to mock. “Bwess your wittle heart”, is what his enemy would say, a crocodile smile spread across his face.  The enemy and others of his ilk regularly gobbled up all of the affirmation the town, starving Conley .    

His internal clock was counting down to zero. Conley readied himself for the mad grab.   

But then he felt his heart beat faster, for if he were able to grab the jewel then he might become like his enemy. The jewel had been known to corrupt the ambition of some, turning ambition to evil. Conley knew that the jewel could corrupt him, for he carried a lot of ambition.  And Conley didn’t want to become evil. He wanted to be admired, but he didn’t want to lose himself. He could always decide not to grab the jewel, and return his simple and uneventful life.  But he was loathe to allow his enemy to grab the jewel, and therefore secure another victory. His internal clock continued to tick.  Conley temporarily froze with indecision. What should he do?

© 2016 Edouble


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on September 10, 2016
Last Updated on September 10, 2016

Author

Edouble
Edouble

Denver, CO



About
It's been almost 40 years, but I think that I've finally found my niche in this life. And now I wake up every morning, grateful for the opportunity to do what I love, and infused with a sense of purpo.. more..

Writing
Mom Mom

A Story by Edouble