Elegy - Chapter 1 -

Elegy - Chapter 1 -

A Story by Fish
"

Would you be willing to do anything for your family?

"

"This is the house?"

 

"Yes, I'm sure of it."

 

"C'mon then. Let's ring the bell."

 

Ding-dong

_____________________

 

Chapter 1: No Vacancy

_____________________

 

"No one seems to be here. Let's just leave the package here at the doorway."

 

"Yeah, we've got better things to do than wait for this chump."

 

The goons leave in their car.

 

The package looked pretty long, was it a rifle perhaps? I guess I'll know when I open it up.

 

I make sure they're out of sight and make it to the doorway.

 

I reluctantly pick up the package with one hand -- almost losing my balance because of its weight.

 

"Damn, this is pretty heavy. What's in this thing?"

 

I get my keys and open the door.

 

"Safe haven, at last." I take a moment to take a deep breath. I drop the box near my coat rack and head to the kitchen.

 

It's a pretty shoddy house, but it's still something I can call my home.

 

Directly across the door is my bedroom. Not much I can say other than it's a place to sleep and get comfy. You can also find my bathroom in there.

 

To the left is the living room. You've got your TV, a couch, a clock. Nothing too fancy.

 

Finally, on the right side is my kitchen/dining room. A round dining table with 2 chairs on each side. A huge fridge, with nothing but ingredients to make spaghetti in it.

It wouldn't be a kitchen without a counter and stove to go along with it.

 

The Cabal pretty much set me up with everything I need for everyday life.

 

I fix myself some spaghetti and set it aside for the next day.

 

I head to the bathroom to wash my face. I dry it off before staring intently on the mirror. Reddish eyes accompanied by some pretty nasty eye bags.

Not to mention I even have a 5 o'clock shadow. My druggie look is good to go. I let out a dry chuckle.

 

I steel myself for what's to come tonight.

 

"*Sigh* What's the job this time...." I exhale and open up the package.

 

It's a box. I take the cover off of it. A pipe and a bunny mask meets my eyes.

 

I inspect the box hoping for more instructions.

 

"Oh..." I notice the note taped to the cover.

 

It reads:

 

Our customers in 45th Street are being hardheaded. Could you go teach them a lesson?

Your ride is waiting at 44th. DON'T BE LATE.

 

P.S. Don't forget to inspect your bank account after the job is done.

 

-G

 

I look at the wall clock and it's roughly 20 minutes before the set time. 44th Street is roughly a 10 min. walk from here. No problem.

 

"Teach them a lesson, huh. I've got no say in this anyway...." I put on the mask and lift up the pipe to my shoulders.

 

"It's a good thing these jobs are so late into the night." I close the door and lock it, giving it a push and pull to double-check that it's secure.

 

"This is my life now..." I go down the stairs and trudge along to 44th.

 

 

-----

© 2022 Fish


Author's Note

Fish
English isn't my first language, apologies in advance for my mistakes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

29 Views
Added on May 14, 2018
Last Updated on February 9, 2022
Tags: Elegy, Mystery, Action, Fiction

Author

Fish
Fish

Baguio, Philippines



About
I just like to write, maybe become a full-fledged writer someday. more..

Writing
Breathless Breathless

A Story by Fish