The Plunge

The Plunge

A Story by Rikka_823
"

A morbid short story about a young boy being bullied at school.

"
Samuel sighed. He settled himself down in his seat, his attention entirely focused on the helm of his seat. He sat down, and turned his sight towards the gigantic tree situated just outside the class. It had been his sanctity of comfort since he first stepped into the school; the only place where he felt he could be himself, not the son of a rapist, and definitely not the target of bullying. 
"Turn your books to pages 115..." as the teacher's voice resounded in the class, Samuel's mind drifted off again. It had become a norm, that Samuel, "The Invisible Student" would always and henceforth be the odd one out in class. Teachers ignored him; students picked on him; even the stray cats and dogs that sometimes wandered into class would just stroll past him, as though he was just a piece of furniture! Samuel swallowed down a gulp of water, before standing up and going to the restroom. He had decided that he would just play truant for the rest of the day. 
As he walked out of the class nonchalantly, his class just resumed lessons, as though nothing had happened. Figures. 
Before long, he stood under the giant tree. It had caught his eye the first time he laid his eyes on it. It's large trunk indicated that it was a good 70 years old, and certainly the passage of time left its mark on it. Samuel sat down, laying against the trunk. The tree was in a way, similar to himself. It was abandoned, lonely, and yet such a common object that most students would just ignore and dismiss. Just like him, it had longed for someone to notice it, and to sympathize with its own scenario, and alas Samuel had been the one. Samuel closed his eyes, letting himself be engulfed by the serenity...
"RRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGG---" went the school bell. Samuel, was of course, awoken by this shrill and harsh school bell, which marked the end of another school day. As he struggled to wake up, he heard pieces of conversations that caught his attention :"...old tree to be taken down... " "...replaced..." "... good riddance... " and immediately his heart sank. Why the tree? Why did objects near to his heart have be taken away? 
As he dragged his numb feet across the school corridor, he thought to himself furiously. If his only haven of comfort were to be taken away, what would he do? Would he, a human being, end his life just for the sake of another being, which was as lonely as him? His answer was clear when his feet took him to the school roof, and as he stood high and mighty above all, he finally realized the imminent truth. 
He closed his eyes, and took the plunge. It was finally, over. 

© 2016 Rikka_823


Author's Note

Rikka_823
I wrote this with the idea of a social problem that is quite imminent in the world today - bullying. It's my very first draft, and I wrote it in a little hurry, so please be kind and give me feedback so I can improve! Thank you~

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I liked the story and thought it had a lot of promise.I think try to show him being bullied and ignored, it would make the reader feel more towards him. Maybe, rather than telling the reader what his father did you can have other characters use it against him.
Also, I've read that sound bites, such as the school bell, aren't needed. Thats just what I've read, but maybe try to reword that sentence or combine it with the next.
I hope this helps.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rikka_823

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the feedback, it was really enlightening! Hope that you will review my next few stories, .. read more



Reviews

I liked the story and thought it had a lot of promise.I think try to show him being bullied and ignored, it would make the reader feel more towards him. Maybe, rather than telling the reader what his father did you can have other characters use it against him.
Also, I've read that sound bites, such as the school bell, aren't needed. Thats just what I've read, but maybe try to reword that sentence or combine it with the next.
I hope this helps.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rikka_823

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the feedback, it was really enlightening! Hope that you will review my next few stories, .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

122 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 7, 2016
Last Updated on February 7, 2016

Author

Rikka_823
Rikka_823

Neverland, Up in the skies, Malaysia



About
Inactive but secretly aching to write. more..

Writing