Before Falling into a Deep Slumber

Before Falling into a Deep Slumber

A Story by E. Sanchez
"

She worries that the owl would hoot, telling her of Popocatepetl's demise.

"
She glanced up at the night sky, knowing that she had to be afraid. 
And she was. 
She was terrified. 
Every night she stared out her window, listening to the sounds of mother nature.
Every night, she feared she would hear the owl hoot. 
A bad omen. 
It meant he wouldn’t come back to her. 

But she had to have hope that he would come back. 
He would stride in, covered in the sacred red liquid of life, meant only for the Gods. 
In his hand would be the head of a conquered warrior. 
She would be finally his. 

“Iztaccihuatl, it is not safe to look out on a night like this. Even the Goddess Coyolxauhqui
is not out, giving Tezcatlipoca free reign. Come.” 

Her mother led her deeper into her room and away from the open window. 
Iztaccihuatl did not fear the Lord of Darkness, no she feared never seeing Popocatepetl. 

She prayed to Xochiquetzal every day, asking for a chance to be with him. 
Did the goddess listened to her? Iztaccihuatl overlooked over a small garden herself, and her offerings were promised to the Goddess. 
But would that be enough? was it enough payment for her Popocatepetl?

Had Tezcatlipoca spoken already, had he seen in his mirror, her fate? 
Was she destined to live without the other? 
If she slept now, would she wake up to happy news? to horrible news? would she even wake up at all? 

“Sleep Iztaccihuatl, tomorrow will be a new day if Tonatiuh wishes it.” 

Iztaccihuatl laid down and closed her eyes, falling into the comfort of a deep slumber.

© 2011 E. Sanchez


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
Added on September 15, 2011
Last Updated on September 15, 2011
Tags: iztaccihuatl, popocatepetl, aztec, mythology

Author

E. Sanchez
E. Sanchez

About
Hello! I am not an avid reader or writer, but I do enjoy both! I started with writing fanfiction and I still do, but I have just started fiction. It is for this reason that I am here, to better .. more..

Writing