I'm not a rebel

I'm not a rebel

A Poem by Ella Emergency

I'm not a rebel just because I choose to find my own way.  I'm not a rebel just because I won't do everything you tell me to do.  I'm not a rebel just because I refuse to conform like a plank of wood for a floor.  I'm not a rebel just because I wear the clothes I want to wear.  Do you always assume I'm looking for attention?  Am I so horrid that you hid your daughters from me, and send your sons away will a caution of "Temptress"?  I am not a rebel because I know the type of music I like and choose to listen to it.  I am not a rebel because I can't sit for an hour in a church.  I am not a rebel just because I sit on the floor, content in His presence.  I can see you watching me.  You say out loud that I "have a rebellious spirit" but I know that inside you're saying so much more.  By now, I can see into words that are thrown at me.  You look at your spawn and see a princess...you look at me and see something broken and in need of a new direction.  If only you understood the things that I've been through, maybe you wouldn't look at me like that.  Do you think my suicide was just a call for attention?  You know it wasn't.  You were there when it went away.  But I still struggle everyday, except atleast now I know that its possible for me to win.  I used to think that the struggle was what was defeating me, but now i know it was that I couldn't see the light at the end.  Am I a rebel because I won't sell my soul to anyone for anything?  Am I a rebel because you don't understand why I can't let someone decide what I do?  Am I a rebel because your own flesh looks up to me?  Am I a rebel because you don't see how far I've come, how hard I've worked to be who I am today?  I know you don't think only bad things about me, but I also know that you're judging me everytime you look at me.  I am not a rebel, I just know who I am now.

© 2009 Ella Emergency


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the poem. I walk my own path my whole life. People wanted to know what I did. I only gave them a smile and silence. What we desire and do (Legal things) is our business. I like the ending. Some people have too much time to worry about other folks. A excellent poem.
Coyote


Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 24, 2008
Last Updated on June 26, 2009

Author

Ella Emergency
Ella Emergency

Denver, CO



About
I just wait around and write. I don't really want or have friends. Cool. more..

Writing
Roots Roots

A Poem by Ella Emergency