Ch. 4 'The Old Soul"

Ch. 4 'The Old Soul"

A Story by exotic flotsam
"

A chapter from a short story about ethereal lessons learned from a child

"

She lay down in the grass, so as not to tower in superiority over her tiny fragile creature. Resting her head sideways on the cool lawn, she became as low and small as he, just looking into him through his darting eyes. She wanted that he might see her. That Lyly opened her heart's eyes for him. On behalf of all. I saw Lyly overcome by an ethereal emotional kinship of sorts. I had never really seen anything quite like this momen. Would but that she could, absorb all fear and pain she saw. And she waited.

           I watched Lyly relieve him of fear. I hoped he'd hop up, then dash off. And so she waited, longer. And he didn't rise. Yet. But he would soon. Just not before earthly eyes. She ensured this inconsequential squirrel would not die alone. All God's beings should find empathy in all beings. That we're right here too. That we're all alike. God's flock. Every one, great and small. I watched Lyly fall into the squirrel's frightened eyes, and he into hers, as she silently wept. She connects life.

          But, life and death had not both been before her. Not like this. She gazed, showing him with her eyes, her essence, a place to go, soon. The squirrel's eyes transformed, no longer even moving, yet alive, lightening eyes. Shining not of fear any longer, but release, as if giving its life over to her. And its fear slipped away alongside its life. None can simply acquire that which is in this 8 year’s very being. But we should try. Those like her will be light for those chained to darkness. She will give pause to those chained to their own darkness.

            She is the best of us.

© 2012 exotic flotsam


Author's Note

exotic flotsam
Please read the chapters in sequence. Thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

How lovely Lyly is. Oh that she would ever be so.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
1 Review
Added on April 3, 2012
Last Updated on May 14, 2012

Author

exotic flotsam
exotic flotsam

Bellevue, WA



About
I'm an adrenaline junkie former lawyer stay at home Dad, infatuated with elevated writing. more..

Writing