1's and 0's

1's and 0's

A Story by Johan Coetzee
"

A story I wrote a while back.

"

This could be the defining moment of his life. Everything he has ever done leads up to this exact moment. Excitement, dread, anxiety, all emotions barely beginning to cover his turmoil filled mind. Paul stood up and stretched his legs a bit, he has lost track of time. The computer screen starts to dim soon after he stood up. "Why have I never extended the time the screen takes to dim?" he involuntarily thinks for the millionth time. Plimp! Finally, the mail he has been waiting for the whole day, and also most of his adult life.


Dear Paul


We are delighted to inform you that you have been selected to be in the mars landing mission program...


He paused for 5 seconds, reread the sentence, and screamed from the top of his lungs, experiencing a visceral joy few has ever felt.


"Please can we float to someone else"


"What? Why? This is the best part, and I've got money on this guy being the 1st on Mars."


"Who cares, there is nothing there, it is a barren world"


"It represents how far they have come in the last couple of seasons."


"Ya well, nothing new, Mars, Jupiter, who cares, they will never be able to leave their solar system. When they programmed this domain they put too many restrictions in, they should have made it possible for the beings to reach each other, that would have been interesting. I don't know what they were thinking. It used to be worth watching when there was still some interesting wars going on, but now its just another monotonous domain."


"You are just overly negative, although the domain's ratings have been going down. Especially earths'."


"They should let me design a domain. I'll make sure there is action."


Running down the stairs towards his wife, he scooped her up in her arms, gave her a long kiss, and told her the big news. He couldn't believe that he will actually get the opportunity to maybe go to mars and be remembered forever. Actually make a differenceLeave a legacy.


"Pfff see, monotonous. There has been so many people saying that exact same thing and still the place stays the same. The more these inhabitants think things will change, the more they remain exactly the same."

© 2015 Johan Coetzee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on April 16, 2015
Last Updated on April 16, 2015

Author

Johan Coetzee
Johan Coetzee

cape town, western cape, South Africa



About
I am a new writer looking to start writing fiction, mostly fantasy. more..

Writing