Red Tape (Silence for Soldarity)

Red Tape (Silence for Soldarity)

A Story by Tallulah
"

She wouldn't let them break her.

"

Laura walked through the crowed, busy halls with a bright, red piece of duct tape covering her mouth. Written on the tape in neat script was the word “Life”. The tape was symbolic; a warning to others that Laura would not be speaking for the day. Today was Silent Solidarity day. It was the day where you were silent out of respect for those who were dying by human hands. The day meant nothing to most kid in school, but there were a few who wore the symbolic red tape. Some did it to get out of getting called on in class and others, like Laura did it, because they really cared.

 

Laura had been wearing the tape since first period that day; it was fine until she made to fifth period, her free. That was where her torment began. From fifth to seventh period, Laura endured torture. She had been called f*g, gay, and other unkind words; the list would go on forever if they were all to be named. She had been pushed and teased. Some went so far as to make bet on who could get her to utter even the smallest sound. For the last one hundred and twenty minutes of her day she had been ridiculed by her enemies and her friends.

 

Laura held strong though, even though she was close to tears, she stayed silent, not a single squeak escaped her. As they pushed her through the hallways, tugged at her hair, and attempted to pull the tape off her mouth, she said nothing. She didn’t complain or try to fight back; she was on silent, peaceful defense, dodging the attacks as skillfully as she could. She smiled when she saw people scowling at her, because she knew that the only reason people were trying to tear her down was because they weren’t strong enough to stay silent the whole day. She knew it was true because in the morning, more then half the school had the red tape covering their mouths, most of Laura’s friends including, but by second period, more then half the students had thrown theirs away. By homeroom, there were about five students left with the tape covering their mouths, and only three remained by the end of the day.

 

Laura didn’t care how mean they were to her, what names they called her, or the attempts they made to ruin her silence, they would not work. Laura was strong, and she could be silent. By the end of the day the tape had been torn off Laura’s face three times, being replaced after each attack, and her silence was still strong.

The final bell rang signaling the end of the school day, and several of Laura’s friends turned to see if she would take the tape off. Slowly Laura tore the tape off her mouth, and smiled. Her friends began to speak to her quickly, asking her a series of questions; Laura just walked past them without saying a word. Her silence was still strong; she just didn’t need the tape anymore.

 

Laura smiled because she had done what no one else could do. She had the strength and the courage to stay silent but still show people what they were doing wrong, to make others aware of the deaths and pain of others. Now all they had to do was open their eyes and pay attention.

© 2009 Tallulah


Author's Note

Tallulah
written for a contest but i never really got to enter it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can soo see this happening, mostly because of your realistic description of the sequence of events throughout the story. I love the theme and moral of the story. Good job!!

(P.S. By the way, does such a day exist, because it'd be cool to try it.)

Posted 14 Years Ago


I found this to be a poignant and evocative tale. You have subtly illustrated the pain of growing. We have all been there; some the perpetrators of these acts.

I hope you found comfort and strength in your silence and consequently realise that you DO have a voice and that you count.

Thank you for sharing and I hope those who mocked you take onboard your undoubted bravery.


Posted 15 Years Ago


We did something like this in my Speech class, but for a completely different (much less personal or emotional) reason. We had to be completely silent for 24 hours or fail the test grade.

It was hard. I don't think I'll ever earn the feeling of self-acquired success that Laura obviously did, at least not in that way.

I do, however, understand the wonderful feeling you get when you find the strength to stand above others who only wish to push you down whenever they have the chance. Laura is a very admirable girl.

This is very deep, in a both universal and personal way. Wonderful yet simple base for a lesson that everyone should learn.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This reminds me of Day of Silence. Most people left me alone, except for a couple teachers that made people take the tape off. There were never very many of us, though. Certainly never half the school. And staying silent so long can be hard when even your best friends talk.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 15, 2009
Last Updated on April 26, 2009

Author

Tallulah
Tallulah

NY



About
Hi! My name's Tallulah! I'm a 16 year old girl. There's not much to say about me. I like to write, draw, read and run. I love music and am trying to learn to play the guitar....failing at it though. I.. more..

Writing