A Day to Live Again

A Day to Live Again

A Story by floira
"

Part 2

"
Part 2 :



Emily sat at the cold steel bench, gazing at the silk blue scarf in her hand. She hated this part of her job. Everything had attracted her appeal except this. Mrs. Turner came around the corner, her big tired eyes hoping for the best. Emily’s heart ached as she remembered her last moments with Sarah Turner. Sarah had been so mature, so brave. She had held Emily’s hand and told her to do everything she could to make it easier on her mother. Sarah had given Emily an old scarf that really needed to be washed. But it had a beauty of its own. Sarah told Emily that she wanted her to have this, because a stranger had once given it to her and told her to give it to the kindest person she could find. With glistening pearls of water in her eyes, Emily took the scarf and sang to Sarah till she went into permanent sleep.


“I’m sorry Mrs. Turner”, Emily let out a sigh and took the wailing woman’s hand, “We did everything we could. Your daughter’s last wish was to tell you how much she loved you and that you shouldn’t mourn over her, because she is at much more peace now than she was at earth.”


The woman began bawling, banging her wrists on the wooden walls. Her grief soon turned to anger and she launched at Emily. “You told me you would save her! You killed her instead! You are a liar and a murder!!!!!!” Emily yelled for security and after a little hassles, threats and curses, she was able to get rid of the woman. The woman was still screaming curses when she was dragged outside. Emily settled herself back and there she was again; sitting on the cold metal bench, Gazing at the blue scarf in her hand when a shadow fell across the scarf, making it dark like a winter night.


“Dr. Rose, I apologize for my pressurizing behavior earlier today. We did misunderstand each other but now I assume we stand on good terms?”


“Oh, Dr. Wells, of course we do. I was a little alarmed at that time. And I am positive you will do better without me in that organization”


“Very well, but our door is always open for you dear, just in case”, Dr. Wells winked,” Anyways, you are needed to run some tests.”


“Oh do I have to? I really have some important work to do today. Can I just get early in early tomorrow and finish it then?” Emily timidly asked.


Just as a man pushed a syringe into her back, making her unconscious at once.


* * *


The room was dark and damp. It wasn’t like a cave with water dripping from every possible place, but to Emily it was more dangerous than that. She didn’t know where she was when she gained her consciousness, but it was clear what this was regarding when her eyes adjusted to the dim lighting and she read what room she was in: 225.


Through the little glass in the door Emily peeped out, but all she could see were the boring white hallways stretching endlessly in front of her. She yelled and yelled for help but no one came. When someone finally did, she retreated to the farthest corner of the room.


“Don’t worry Rose, we are not going to kill you.” Ishita said in a jaded tone, fixing up some syringes in the corner of the room. Along her, was Dr. Wells with a mischievous grin on his face.


“Yes, Emily. We are not going to do you any harm. We just want some of your blood. We thought we could convince you, but there is no pleasing some people. We are going to mix just a little of your DNA with that of other people; maybe the result will be better than we thought. Sorry, but we have to keep you here full night so that you have an empty stomach for tomorrow’s blood tests. We have to be absolutely sure you see or else we would’ve taken your blood for nothing” Dr. Wells moved closer to Emily.


“Don’t be scared, it will be over soon” he whispered as he went back to his place beside Ishita.


“What? No! Can’t you understand that your little project is bound for failure? And even if you do manage a way to achieve your goal, what about all I said in the meeting earlier today??”


“That’s quite enough of your nonsense! We are doing this for a good cause. We are not going to stop just because a girl wants us to. All I really came to say was that don’t resist much and you’ll fell less pain. Goodbye”


Dr. Wells sauntered out of the room with Ishita, leaving Emily to comprehend the situation she had landed herself into in less than twenty four hours. She lay there, unable to do anything in her power.


It was a long time before room 225’s lock turned again. Emily had a visitor. Intuition told her to grab whatever was near and use it as a weapon.


This was her chance to escape.


The silhouette of a person opened the door, and Emily positioned herself to run. Her hands were trembling and sweat had gathered on her forehead, but she was ready. The person entered and seeing Emily with a chair, was quite confused. So was Emily.


“Rue!” she said giving her friend a hug. Until a horrible thought struck her head and she pulled apart awkwardly, “You aren’t secretly a part of this organization are you?”


“What? Of course not! I found out that they were going to mix your DNA with someone else’s. I didn’t think they were that stupid! Now let’s get out of here before they decide to mix some of your organs with mine.” Rue said. Emily laughed and let Rue drag her along.


When Emily came out of the room, her hand hooked through Rue’s, the fluorescent light blinded her for a second, making her lose her balance. Before running away, her eyes flicked towards the dark room she had come out of. There, she saw something beneath the table, something forgotten yet emotional. She went back in, like a moth drawn to a flame and came back in seconds, carrying a silk blue scarf wrapped around her hand.


Emily ran like she never had before, but with footsteps lighter than a bird. She ran with Rue all the way to the second floor when she heard loud footsteps. Dr. Wells turned the corner and came face to face with her. In his hand, he held a syringe filled with a deep pink liquid Emily recognized too well, having experienced it on the very day. Sleeping medicine.


Soon, many other doctors gathered there, the same syringe with everyone. Except Ishita who carried a knife.


“We don’t have much time!” Dr. Wells yelled, “Once the sun comes up, the security cameras will get mobilized and we won’t be able to do anything. We don’t have time to collect the blood even in a syringe! Bring the sterilized knife!”


Over the years, there had been the invention of sterilized knives. These allowed scientists and doctors to take sample of things syringes couldn’t. They kept the liquid on them fresh and bacteria free for twenty four hours.


Ishita approached Emily and tripped, causing her knife to go flying and cut Emily in the arm, staining the knife. Ishita got up and lunged forward towards Emily, but Rue kicked her. The doctors started plunging the syringes into both Emily and Rue. Both were tired but determined to get out of there. Emily acted quickly and took the knife, before anyone else could take her blood sample. Rue took Emily’s hand and they both ran towards the parking lot. The doctors followed, but they couldn’t keep up for Emily and Rue had been fast kids when they were little.


Emily’s heart was beating very fast. She took the knife and wrapped it into the blue silk scarf she was carrying. But little did she know about the once empty syringe, lost in a bunch of deep pink syringes, sitting in Ishita’s pocket filled with Emily’s blood.


* * *


In the car, Emily and Rue sat discussing the outcomes of previous evening. It had been difficult but Emily had come out strong. She had learnt a life lesson and that was: dreams make us scale heights we didn’t know we could. But sometimes, if we lose control, we could end up lost.


After driving for a while, they stopped for coffee as the sleeping medicine had kicked in and it had been almost impossible to stay awake.


They both ordered strong coffee and bagels to go with it.


Emily relaxed as she sat in the Starbucks café, sipping her coffee and staring out of the window. The blood stained knife lay next to her handbag, covered with her blue silk scarf.....

© 2016 floira


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on April 12, 2016
Last Updated on April 12, 2016

Author

floira
floira

Indore, India



About
i am the future writer to be!!!!!!!!!! currently tangled in my teen life more..

Writing