Hold on Tight

Hold on Tight

A Story by ♥ H I M E ♥
"

A lot of times we keep things that aren't ours. But when we throw those things away and keep the things that are. We just want to hold those things forever.

"
I remember everything crystal clear, the feeling was amazing, the time was endless, and a lot of times, I still think that it had just happen. 
"You mean we're over now?" I looked at Eric, he was the sweetest guy ever, or that's what all the girls and even I thought. It was really amazing to be his. Now, not so much.
He nodded and gave me a small disoriented smile, like he didn't know whether to smile or not, "It's for the best."
"Pfft- That's what they all say..." I mumbled, he just gave me that stupid looking smile again.
"See, you're not bursting into tears. It's not that bad. I always knew you were a strong girl. No big deal right?" Eric patted my head like I was some five year old that was keeping herself up to not cry. Who did he think I was? I just glared at him. "Come on now Izzy-"
"Nope! Now that we're done you can't call me Izzy! Only close friends and family get to call me that. I'm not sure if you know this or not but we aren't exactly close anymore. Remember?" It was either the way he looked at me or something I did, because after that he just sighed and stuffed his hands into his pockets. It took five full minutes for all this breaking up stuff to process through my head. He and I could both tell, I was acting like a five year old.
Eric looked at me and thank god he didn't give me that smile again, "I thought we could just be friends, maybe close ones. But guess not." He scratched his head giving an awkward laugh in the end.
I rolled my eyes, "Close friends after breaking up? Do you want to see me or not? I don't get you, close friends are probably at the same relationship level as a couple...You're crazy."
"Just keeping my options open." He told me simply and I slapped him. 
Keeping his options open? Please, there my friend, is an example of a man w***e. "You know, I'm glad we're done. I rather be single than be with a loser like you. Gosh what am I thinking! Eric Holland is nothing but a fake! Geez, I have a bad eye for guys!" Eric quickly shot me a cold glare, guess he didn't like the slap, nor did he seems to like me insulting him. "Forget being friends! I'm fine with being strangers, see ya!"
"You're the one that's crazy. I was being nice and you just-
I butted in like no big deal, "No Eric. You weren't being nice, if you were we wouldn't even be having this conversation. You see, you don't get it. I know exactly what you're doing, and you're just a fake! I knew you had the hots for Sally Morgan for awhile now, you were going to dump me and go out for her; and if things weren't working our for you and Sally, you were going to come back to me with this 'close friend' thing with me as rebound. If you think I don't have you figured out. You. Are. Wrong." Relief! I turned my back on him and nonchalant walked to my car and drove away. Haha! The loser, I was his ride home too.
At my best friend Mark's house I parked in front and dialed his number, I didn't want to surprise him with my unexpected visit. I realized lately I haven't been seeing Mark as often when I started dating Eric. It felt nice to hear his voice again.
"Izzy? It's been awhile, how have you been?" He asked, there was the sound of zombies growling and gun shooting in the background. That's the thing with Mark, I could count on him for just a few seconds off his Xbox.
"So...Eric and I just broke up. He sort of dumped me for Sally Morgan...Or so I'm thinking." I told him nervously. Girl kind conversations were not his best subject. Suddenly there was laughing on the other end I just sighed.
Mark was laughing like crazy, a literal monkey, the sound of his hand slapping the carpet of his floor could be heard, "The dumb twit finally called it off! Boy, Brandon owes me fifteen bucks now!"
"Wait...What! You and Brandon had a bet with my relationship with Eric?" I yelled over his loud laughing, it only just got louder.
"Hahaahaaha! No, but I did suspect you two would not last more than a month!"
I frowned and wanted to cry, so much for some comfort. "Gee, that's really reassuring..."
The laughing just immediately stopped, "Woah. You sound like you're really pissed off. Hey where are you? I'll come meet you!" He suggested. I rolled my eyes and told him I was waiting in my car at the front of his house. "Oh, okay, I'll come down and we can grab a coffee while we talk." He hung up and I started the car again.
For the first time in a month I got a good look at Mark. I still saw him in school and class, but we didn't really talk to each as often while I was going out with Eric. I don't know but Mark now and Mark then look different. He opened the passenger door and and buckled down. Glancing over he shot me a grin, I raised my eyebrow and asked, "Have you been working out?"
"Oh? You noticed? I didn't think it was noticeable." He began flexing his arms, I just rolled my eyes and decided to go to the nearest Starbucks.
"I just haven't seen you in awhile I guess." I pulled out the driveway and moved down the street. Sally Morgan lived on Mark's street, guess who was walking down the sidewalk...Sally. As Mark and I were driving by we noticed she looked at her phone for a minute or two and began prancing around all happy. Mark rolled his eyes and me, I just honked and drove away. Boy did Sally look scared, she had no idea it was even me. 
Mark finally killed the ice, "Looks like Eric got busy again."
"Oh shut up. I knew that was going to happen. That loser; I just feel sorry for Sally, she has to deal with Eric...You were right Mark. Eric wasn't the right guy..."
"Glad you saw what I saw." He reclined back into his chair with his arms behind his head. "Anyway now that you're back in the market how about you-
"I'm not looking for another relationship right now..."
It may have been my imagination, but Mark's spirit seemed to decline. "Oh, I see, well sucks for him then. I know this guy who has this hugest crush on you for awhile now. And I mean awhile."
"Okay whatever." I parked the car and we both headed inside ordering the same mocha, great minds do think alike. We sat down at one of the booths and just talked.
I don't really remember what we were talking about. But I do remember one thing. We were not talking about my break up with Eric. Boy do I love Mark.
Before we knew it was already getting late, it was already seven, which means we spent three whole hours of just talking and drinking coffee. The whole car ride back to Mark's house was quiet because he fell asleep. I don't know what was going on with me, I just kept looking him, I even kept slapping myself not to look. Mark just really looks so different now. Was he really the same guy I let got for Eric? I don't know. 
When I got there I stopped the car and budged Mark to wake up. He would move, so I poked his face. With his fast reflexes he grabbed my hand before I could pull back. I just looked at him mesmerized. He was looking at me and into my eyes. If eyes were the windows to the soul, then Mark was falling completely all over the place for mine, because before I knew it, he pulled me into a kiss. 
I'm not going to lie, that kiss was great, so I kissed him back. And before I knew it, we spent ten minutes just making out! Someone slap me! I just broke up with my boyfriend and now I'm kissing my best friend? Gah! When we finally stopped Mark was completely flushed and so was I.
"Elizabeth..." He called, this was going to be serious I could tell. "I-I...I liked you for awhile now! And just now I just had the courage to work up the nerve and tell you."
"Well really you kind of told me that like ten minutes ago when you kissed me, but yea." I laughed and he just grinned. 
"Sorry, but hey, you weren't looking for a new relationship so I figured might as well. And if you didn't like me back oh well. You already drove me home." He shrugged grinning. I just giggled and kissed him one more time, he held my chin and kissed me back. "You were mine from the beginning, Eric just stole you from me." 
I immediately blushed. If I was Mark's, then that would've meant Mark was also mine. You know, that's not really a bad thought. 
Ever since that day, Mark and I have really hit it off. Eric did ask Sally out just as I predicted and things also got rocky for them as Eric got jealous knowing I was with Mark. It was that bad that he even broke up with Sally for me. Just like I had thought too. Mark was laughing in the background when I rejected Eric. I was laughing too when Eric asked me out again. I was laughing again when I rejected him. 
I have to say, if Eric had never thrown me away, Mark would never be able to hold what was really his. I belonged to Mark and he belonged to me.

© 2012 ♥ H I M E ♥


Author's Note

♥ H I M E ♥
I feel like this was rushed.
What do you guys think? I'm open up for reviews and criticism! So blast away with your mean yet helpful comments! ♥

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

64 Views
Added on December 27, 2012
Last Updated on December 27, 2012

Author

♥ H I M E ♥
♥ H I M E ♥

Houston, TX



About
I ♥ WRITING. I've always wanted to share my stories, but could never find the right place to share! I'm in high school currently and I just write for the fun of it! Not much needs to b.. more..

Writing