Master and Apprentice

Master and Apprentice

A Story by foilist13
"

This may be expanded into something bigger, but for now its just a snippet. Hope you like it.

"

Master and Apprentice

6/10/10

 

Alistair nearly choked trying to suppress his fear. The cold metal of the wall pressed against his cheek. He peeked out of his nook, heart pounding. The dim passage was fearsome in its own right, but what stalked him caused far greater terror. Holding his breath, he leaned out of his hiding place and directed his attention down the corridor. The walls were lined with rusted pipes, their decay dusted the rough floor, and the only sound was that of dripping. Alistair's bare foot snaked out and, with the slightest hesitation, he tiptoed around an oily puddle and crept down the passage. Noting a gap in the ceiling, he jumped and grabbed a sturdy pipe, skillfully swung his legs up then lodged himself into a shadowed hollow high above the floor. 

            Alistair let himself breathe easy for the first time in minutes and turned his attention back the hallway below.  Straining his ears he listened beyond the constant dripping for the telltale signs of his predator. The faint padding that whispered against his ears could not be mistaken and his calm shattered.  Sweat rolled into his eyes and blurred his vision.  Though the padding was clearly coming closer he clenched his jaw and forced his mind to focus. 

            A huge tiger the color of fiery embers entered his field of vision. (WANT MORE STUFF ABOUT THE TIGER)  Beyond his control, his limbs trembled as the massive cat passed beneath.  Minutes later when his hands stopped shaking he dropped tentatively to the floor and crouched motionless, listening. Hearing nothing, he moved off down the hall. Every thirty meters or so he stopped and listened. 

            The passageways seemed endless, a labyrinth of intersecting halls never emptying into rooms or chambers. Alistair could not imagine the purpose of this place and did not have time to consider it. As he neared yet another intersection, he saw a dark figure race past. He pressed his back against the wall hoping the irregular surface would serve as camouflage. Loud breathing emanated from around the corner, and Alistair knew it was his fellow apprentice, Marcus. Instinctively Alistair edged his way in the opposite direction. Then he heard the padding in the same hall in which Marcus was hiding. 

Alistair shut his eyes tight and listened with dread.  Marcus shouted the strange words and a deafening crack clapped against the ceiling. Light filled the hall, and Alistair realized he was exposed. He cast his eyes about for a break in the pipes. More flashes revealed Marcus dashing through the intersection ahead. Fire engulfed the hallway in his wake, and Alistair heard his friend scream. 

            The tiger moved beyond the intersection, the flames receding as it did. Alistair forced himself to stillness, chanting old lessons in his head. He glanced back and his eyes widened. Beyond the intersection was his salvation. The door. Alistair almost laughed with excitement. The thick wooden door was the only thing in the miserable maze not made of metal and in a state of decay. He listened carefully for the sound of the tiger's footsteps. Hearing none, he decided to risk all. Sliding out to the middle of the hall, he tensed and sprinted toward the door. If he could make it through its opening before the tiger discovered him, he would be safe. His bare feet grasped the cold floor, and as he passed the junction, he glimpsed the tiger on his left, facing him. In the space of a heartbeat, he turned his head and felt his back foot catch on his ankle. 

            Alistair twisted in the air as he fell. The door, now behind him, seemed farther away than it ever had been. As his shoulder hit the cold floor, he rolled and threw himself up to land on his feet, knowing it was too late. As the tiger rounded the bend, he turned his head and stared into his master's face. The voice invading his mind said, "I'm sorry my boy, but you've failed." 

            Alistair's mind focused in rage, and flames burst across his hands. He seized the tiger by the neck and squeezed with all of his remaining strength. His master's weight pushed him off his feet and he fell once more, feeling the deadly jaws close around his throat. 

© 2010 foilist13


Author's Note

foilist13
All's fair in love and... er... writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very intriguing! Great start, and I love the twist.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
1 Review
Added on July 23, 2010
Last Updated on July 23, 2010

Author

foilist13
foilist13

Pasadena, CA



About
Hi. more..

Writing
The Builders The Builders

A Story by foilist13