The Enigma

The Enigma

A Story by Daniel Olson
"

Sci-fi story

"
-The Perspective of the Business Man, Mr. Williams.-

So here I sit, waiting in the lobby of “The Helmsley Park Lane Hotel” in New York. God f*****g damn it where the hell is that limo I called in. If this deal doesn’t go through I can kiss that cabin in Aspen goodbye, and my wives b**b job, tighter a*s, and the rid of her wrinkles. At least this bellhop is giving me some entertainment. He is working his a*s off, running to and from guests, and for what? A few extra bucks in tips? Im trying to figure this guy out, he is on break now just sitting there with this odd look on his face, a look I don’t think I have ever seen before. I cant describe it, but it seems to be the face of wisdom. He has this old comlection to his eyes, an age far past his twenty to thirty year appearance. What could this bellhop possible know, and to be so damn arrogantly happy about. And if there is wisdom behind that stare why the f**k does he work here? Most probable though, he is some crazy from the paddy wagon that some social worker forced this hotel to hire.
Yep he is crazy. He just did two things that I don’t think will ever make any sense. First he told someone that is apparently invisible to not worry about it, I will clean it up. Then he quickly began scrubbing at the carpet with an imaginary rag, saying “ see not a problem miss, it came right out.” Next insane thing this guy does is, start acting like he is shaking the hands of about 15 people, again invisible people, and then says “we are honored to receive you Mr. President. This guy is damn lucky that I am the only one taking notice to these antics, or he would be thrown out immediately. He is also lucky that he has given me so much amusement that I won’t even tell on him.
Finally, the limo is here. Now I get to go and ask this psycho to fetch me my coat, should be hysterical.
I walk up to him and ask, “Could you fetch me my coat, under Williams?”
This is his response. “A comet? In 200 years is going to destroy our planet? Im sure we will think of something by then, Mr. Parks.”
“Ahhh, just need my jacket, and my name isn’t Parks, it’s Mr. Williams.” I sarcastically remarked. Wow that blew my expectations
“Im sorry? One moment sir.” He said looking confused.
He came back after a few seconds with a woman’s fur coat. And said “ where did she go?”
I asked again with as much politeness as I could muster. He ran back into the other room, and didn’t come running back out yelling for another two minutes.



-The Perspective of the Bellhop-

Gotta stay busy. Keep up the yes sir’s and the yes mam’s. I must relish these moments as long as possible, for when my shift is over or I get a small break, I fall under the attack of thought, and things to think about, I have to many. Yes to work is to leave the mind and individual in the lobby. To work is to fall in line and put on the mask they tell you to wear, a nice little vacation. S**t, I am starting to think my own thoughts, must mean its time for break. Today I would just like to sit and retrace everything.
Only fifteen minutes to sit here on my favorite chair. Fifteen minutes, or time in general for that matter, one hour, ten years, three hundred trillion years, are really all the same to me now. For time is only a thing of relativity, something that we become aware of as we move through space time, an illusion if you will. For example I once traveled at near light speed towards the closest celestial body to our solar system, Proxima Centauri. I achieved this speed through the use of my greatest invention, “The Time Dilation Vortex.” After traveling at these great speeds for nine years, I had finally returned to Earth. I was nine years older, the Earth and all of its inhabitants however, had aged approximately 11,700 years. So time is relative, and to me nonsensical, and it must not make any sense to me because I have lived life through this body more than one billion times, experienced life for 70,000,000,000 years, 25,200,000,000,000 days, 604,800,000,000,000 hours.
How have I been around this long? Well I am the universe’s greatest enigma. The big bang theory is correct, trust me I know, I have had much time to research it. So, the universe starts out at a microscopic focal point, containing all the matter and energy we see today. Then it reacts, and expands through the cosmos at high velocity, moving on and on, evolving as it goes. Eventually it reaches its limit, and the exact reverse happens, destroying all it created and reverts back to its starting point. Of coarse it then expands again and again until infinity. Every individual outcome of the universe has a different form. Some things are hardly noticeable as being different, some things are utterly un-similar from their previous counter parts. In one universe your hair might be black, instead of blonde. The last incarnation of you might have been a crack head, cannibalistic serial killer, a catholic priest pedophile. Believe it or not the body that is Jeffrey Dahmer was the president of the United States during one universe. Except the United States was what we know as China today. In dramatic differences you might have evolved from a snake, goat, cat or fish. Walked upright with eight legs, being able to communicate through telepathy.
I have seen this man that just walked in with his wife, walk through those doors with hundreds of different partners, some beautiful, some ugly, fat, skinny, sometimes with men. The reason that I am such an enigma is the fact that the outcome of me, has been created every single time the universe recreates itself. Every atom in my body is the same as before. Every vibrating string of which everything is made of, is shockingly the same, put together in the same order. That is how I have lived for so long and will inevitably live forever, because not only is my matter put back together, but my memories and ideas materialize from where they left off.
I am the smartest, wisest, and greatest artist ever to think in this universe. Through time I have mastered every science there is, and taken each science to the final level. It took me fifteen lifetimes to become a greater artist than Michelangelo. Only four tries to be hailed as the second coming of Christ.
Sometimes I would be so full of hate I would lash out at the rest of this world. One of my favorite games or lives to play out, was to see how fast I could take over the world. Some of the best tactics involve dropping 20-30 well placed atomic bombs. Or for a more difficult approach starting a chaotic based cult that worships an evil god. The cult members will do anything I tell them, if I say it is gods will.
A greater challenge still is conquering the world through just and righteous means, to create a perfect utopian world. Vast knowledge begets truth, truth begets freedom, freedom inspires perfection. Speaking with the grace of Gandhi multiplied by ten, will make any type of person in the world become my apprentice. Though I would slowly find out that creating this perfect world is just another form of manipulation and social coercion. People will follow whatever the majority mind set is, good or bad. People are like advanced lab rats, pulling whatever leaver corresponds with their desired want or need. I once proved this to the world in such brutal accuracy that I was burned at the stake, one of the most powerful experiences I have ever gone through.
At this point I have experienced everything I can imagine, accomplished all feats I could dream. So I work and live a simple existence in this moment, at this hotel as a bellhop until the moment the time comes that I might think of something else to try. I find real pleasure with the simple things. Here while I work I count the many differences that occur within this one small place of the world. Since I have gained the ultimate understanding of infinity I do not even notice the change from one universe to the next, they all weave into the next within this hotel lobby. One day the building went up in a massive fire, I was the only one that ran back in and saved a little girls life. I came out as a burnt mass of flesh, and showed little care for death and pain, those primitive feelings mean nothing to me.
I also wait here in hopes that a slight possible outcome of the universal equation my happen. That is the chance that it will sometime come to an end. Letting me sleep in sheer darkness forever. You see, given the fact that I know everything, I also know the meaning of life, how this all came to be, whether or not there is a god, everything. Once you figure it all out, it is amazing just how simple it is, an equation with 13 variables. Now I will never speak the answers to these questions, because it creates a horrible stream of karma throughout this planet for hundreds of universal progressions. The black plagues of black plagues. A world that even I wish I never experienced. You see once the truth is out, everything seems to just give up, stop caring, the reason for anything is obliterated when a final answer is given. But it is from this equation that a rare solution of everything ending could propagate into reality. The sad thing is that I wont even know it is happening, for if a trillion certain things do happen, like the most elaborate domino structure, I would be the variable that would knock them all over. The end will be upon us when I lose my sense of reality, and I become stuck in time, jumping from one outcome to another universe that I have experienced before, completely unaware of this happening. The people of the universe of which I go through this phase will see me as a crazy person, not making any sense at all. By me disrupting the flow of reality so much, I will bring chaos to the equation of everything, becoming a variable that defies math. Simply put, I will overload the entire system and everything will fall apart into oblivion. I am happy and distressed about this idea, because everything will be in vain, nothing will be remembered, your feeble lives, your unimportant jobs, your religions, all the gossip, your unintelligent television shows, all will turn to a cold eternal black.
My break is up, thank god, back to my only comfort. Already my mind is off those great subjects. A woman just spilt a glass of whine.
“ See not a problem miss, it came right out.” I say with true enthusiasm.
“Could you fetch me my coat, under Williams?” The business man that has been observing me for twenty minutes asks.
dshaohr24384798fdhfweiuerh348flifedeathquantumfuckingApocalypseNowa^3+bc/1.o666-3d*efgh/543i+9jk-1.2lm=universe*infinity$$$$$internetwarbrainsgutsmotherwomanlakewashin gtonconquestassimilationfdfhsdufghewee8r9ydsfyshfsd
“If you get the chance read the Sentinel about the comet some astronomers believe will destroy our planet in 200 years. Some crazy stuff, always thought we would live forever.” He added as I was about to go fetch his coat.
“A comet? In 200 years its going to destroy our planet? Im sure we will think of something by then, Mr. Parks.” I said with fake surprise, for I already knew this. I am usually the one that stops it using my “Time Dilation Vortex.”
“Ahhh, just need my jacket, and my name isn’t Parks, it’s Mr. Williams.” He said in a strange manner. Who said your Mr. Parks I thought.
“Im sorry? One moment sir.” I politely respond.
I go to the coat room and quickly find Mrs. Berkovits’s fur coat.
“ Where did she go?” I ask a confused looking man.
Sdfhwue3r89f89sddfhsdijfbwerb3fidsudhf8vswertheoryofrelativityhawkingsblackholeaiddh38dffoica^3+bdividedbyasiac/1.o666-3d*ef+mailboxgh/5minusnegative43i+9jk-1.2lm=unvrse*infin!!!! supernovacivilizationromeslaughtergodjesuschristcrimsonbluestardustdffuh3289fydsfiuh3r8fds


-BACK TO THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE BUSINESSMAN MR. WILLIAMS-

I asked again with as much politeness as I could muster. He ran back into the other room, and didn’t come running back out yelling for another two minutes.
I had to give a second look to make sure I wasn’t going crazy, he looked as though he just feel into a crematory running with urgency, it looked as though he cradled someone in his arms. His flesh was charred beyond believe, yet he didn’t even give a single yell of pain. All he did was run out the building, wave to another invisible crowd, and took a bow. Then he disappeared, vanishing into thin air. I looked around to see if anyone else thought that was insane. No one noticed, except an old man outside the hotel. We both looked each other in the eye, both saying with our stare “my god did you see that?” It could have been the greatest phenomenon ever witnessed, but no one would ever hear about it from us. I didn’t have time to tell the world what I saw, I had a business deal to make, and a cabin in Aspen to buy.





The great enigma to our realm thought he knew everything, he thought he accounted for all possibilities. He never figured out the one thing that saved the universe and life itself. He never understood the reason why he was to be the ultimate rarity of the cosmos. The equation that all energy and matter adhere to is perfect and wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t. During its creation it accounted for the fact that an end of the material world would one day come to be, it was inevitable. To stop this from happening it created the entity of the enigma that would journey with the universe from the beginning to the end, gaining countless memories and obtaining pure energy. He is the greatest martyr of all time, experiencing a form of torture no single being should ever endure, he died so all would live on forever. The worst thing being he never knew he suffered for the fate of the universe. The material universe no longer exists, but life lives on in the universe of the enigmas memories. At the end when all turned into nothingness, the power of his mind and vivid memories would house all that is today. We live through the nearly infinite life he lived, we will now dance forever on the stage of his memories.






© 2010 Daniel Olson


Author's Note

Daniel Olson
ask me if you have any questions

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on April 2, 2010
Last Updated on April 2, 2010