My Birthday Wish

My Birthday Wish

A Story by Shandel
"

Beware of suicidal friends, they need saving.

"

Among all the gatherings that take place every year, I always looked forward on birthdays. I always like the idea of cakes, balloons, candles, presents, letters, parties and the people. I like everyone who matters in my life to be there, to see them all pleased that everybody lives " not just me. My mom and I had already planned and prepared what to do on my very special day; we decided to throw a pool party. 

I’m off to school, feeling both worried and excited for the upshot on this day ahead of my birthday. Just a couple of weeks, when our treasurer’s birthday was near, and so, my classmates gave her a box wrap like a present but it turns out to be a helluva prank. And her reactions were " guess what? " It was superb. This time around, I’m sure they’re going to pull another one since I’m the president. I don’t really want to assume but what can I do? I can’t help not to.

As I was walking along the corridor, I looked over my classmates’ dealings, trying to find a hint of their wicked scheme. I saw Karen in front of her locker. Her eyes were somewhat swollen, but no matter how puff up they were you still can’t turn a blind eye of her mostly black clothing, dark dramatic makeup, and her dyed black hair. She’s kind of a Goth, and there were no signs coming from her anyway. Facing the other side, I saw Jennifer and her squads probably gossiping over Alison again. Then suddenly her member elbowed her up and they all turned around at me. Err that gave me a short heart attack… they were actually looking passed at me. Alison strode fast and approached Clinton, the bully. It was quite odd since they don’t fairly get along. Now, I smell something fishy with this two; maybe the cliché ‘opposites attract’ is true. And here’s Corrine cheering Erica besides our classroom’s door. They usually talked about the hostile treatment of her father towards her and her mom. I really feel sorry for her. I just heard that story straight from the horses’ mouth, Kaye and Natasha who were my best friends, which suspiciously motioned at me and get back in their seats as I entered our room. I just respond with my eyebrow being cocked. Try to be normal guys, I know you can.

No one showed an inkling, so I went to the restroom after our third subject. Maybe they actually not going to pull a stunt, maybe I just expect too much, maybe " I had it all wrong from the start. I have lost in my own thoughts when the cubicle door next to me just whacked real hard. I tensed then shouted irritably “Hey!” But no one answers. Then I just contemplated. No, they knew this will not really work on me, I thought in great disappointment. A moment later and I’m hearing scratches, it’s getting creepy so I went out and washed my hands hurriedly. I was about to exit and ignore their drama when somebody just sob and it gets louder and louder and louder. This is enough, I thought. I walked in front of the door which I guess has someone inside, slammed it, and yelled “This will not scare the hell out of me, so stop it!”

I felt victorious afterwards like I just defeated an enemy. Like really? That’s all they’ve got? That kind of a show will not really freak me out. I grieve for their failed plan tsk tsk. I went to our classroom and confronted everyone. “Guys, you’re prank on me didn’t work. Don’t you have greater ideas than it? C’mon”, I chuckled. Natasha replied in confusion, “What prank are you talking about Maurice?” Then someone added “She probably thinks we’re going to prank her before her birthday just like what we did with our class’s treasurer.” Everybody laughs. Somebody even had the guts to pat my back like I should never have expected any. I shoved her hands and walked out. Stupid!

After that, it was a cue for me to become oblivious and cruel. I refused to have lunch with my two best friends. Some other classmate like Alison even came over and was about to apologize probably about earlier but I just said “I’m sorry I’m not in a mood to talk”. I didn’t talk to anyone throughout the rest of the day. I was just too mad for having my hopes up, and to them because they don’t need to be mean for the least.

I’m about to go home and was walking down the street, but my two best friends arrive rushing. They admitted that they haven’t prepared at all to surprise me. They ask for forgiveness and as compensation they’ll treat me. “We already have told your mom that you’ll be late tonight so don’t worry,” Kaye said. I still feel down in the dumps, but I managed to smile.

We are about to look for something to ride on but a van appeared in front of us and before we could even discern what happen, we are dragged inside. I was being blindfolded and tied in my wrists and feet. My two best friends were crying and resisting to get blindfolded until I just heard a shove. One of my best friends head is on my lap. I was panicking and my heartbeats racing so fast that I think it could kill me. “Ar-are they dead?” I said in broken speech. But no one answer. “Wha-what do you want?” I asked another time. Still I got no answer. I shivered and cried. I exactly don’t know what to do. I was anxious of what is going to happen to me " to us. I don’t know what to think until I haven’t realized I had fallen asleep.

I wake up and it was total darkness. I got up and the blindfold just fell off my face. There wasn’t anyone at the van. I have managed to get the ropes off me. I slid the van’s door and it made a creaking sound. I was afraid they are just outside " waiting for me. It was dark and I couldn’t find out where I am. I was about to call 911 when something just moves. I was hesitating but I turn on my flashlight and when I directed it just in front of me… There, I saw my two best friends lying. My heartbeat is racing again that it so hard to breath. I tried to calm myself but the sound from my wail escapes from my mouth. Wha-what have they done? Clear salty liquids fall from my eyes. I was shaking. My knees lost their strength and I perched on the grass. Blood… There were dripping off from the cuts in their neck. Their clothes were ruined. I can’t move from where I stand. The murderers were probably not far away and I know… I’m next to die.

I gathered all my strength. I have to get out from here, I have to save myself. I made it to move three steps backward but someone bumped from my back. As I turned around, I saw a man on a bonnet mask. RUN!!! My mind wants to explode with the intensity of the events. I was about to run but he held me. I shouted and punch him but he’s too strong, until I hear a familiar voice and he gets his bonnet off. “Maurice, it’s me Franco!” He is the one I am nuts about. I just frown and looked confused. “Everything is just a prank”, he explained. I turned around and everyone emerged from their hiding. Kaye is helping Natasha to light up the candle on the cake she was holding. Tears leak from my eyes again but in this moment it is because of great joy. I felt relieved; I spank each of them and hugged them likewise. I was about to hug Franco but since he’s too tall, I have to shift my head upwards. I puckered brow with the sight laid in front of me. “Guys, I bet someone isn’t done with the prank yet”, I said. I caught everyone’s attention and they all looked up. Nobody was talking yet. “Hey, why were you all terrified? Come on! This isn’t fun anymore. You’re already scaring me”, I begged as everyone seems to be scared stiff. I directed my flashlight and recognized… it was Alison. “We didn’t invite her to the prank Maurice”, Natasha said. Kaye was sobbing and tried to say “Somebody call 911, or the ambulance, anyone, please.” I don’t know what to react. I was just staring blankly to the dead body of Alison Cartwright hanging to one branch of the tree.

Still unconscious to what really happen, of why Alison was right there. Some of us went home after the police came while the others were left to be interviewed. Franco sends me home and assured me that it wasn’t my fault, that everything will be fine. He kissed me on my forehead for the first time but I haven’t appreciated it. I let out a sighed.

Today is my birthday, February 21st. A tear fell off my cheeks and I apprehend I’ve been crying lately. Today is my birthday, I thought again, but I couldn’t be happy for less. As I marched towards the school door, somebody greeted me Happy Birthday. Then I saw a cluster of my classmates, they greeted individually. As other went on, I got irritated with the way they greet but I never show them, I just smile. Can they not just let themselves sound empathetic?

I feel bad to myself for being selfish. I know it isn’t right that I should be happy just because it’s my birthday when my classmate just died yesterday. I went in the restroom. As I opened the first cubicle door, I am left petrified. I bellowed in enormous horror. Students hustled around and they were also shock. They were flash all around until a teacher step in and let us all out. There were texts imprinted on the cubicle’s door and they were written … in BLOOD. I saw scratches as well. I had read it thoroughly and found out… it was Alison’s suicide note and I. AM. PLEDGED. GUILTY. OF. ALISON. CARTWRIGHT’S. DEATH.

Inhale.

Exhale.

I sat on my chair silently. Everybody probably knew already about Alison’s suicide note. Our professor gets in. He sighed. “Everyone,” he looked at each of us in the eyes. “What happened is no doubt a wakeup call to all of us. I knew you already read Alison’s letter. It went all around the social media,” he said with all intent. Some of my classmates started to cry and some stay quiet " why wouldn’t you be? " When you are also to blame. I heard sniffles from somewhere and I tried not to sniffle but I failed. Our prof continued, “I am pledge guilty of her death too. Alison’s right. She was right.” He nodded for a while. “Maybe you will reason out that you done nothing for her to do that. Well, you’re right… you weren’t there to encourage her to hang herself up, but you’re exactly right, you have done NOTHING to help her get out from the darkness that was pulling her in.” He sighed and finally said, “I will not have a lecture today so give some thought about it.” Then he leaves the room.

Alison is far from being a suicidal. She is someone who would rather walk the life of sufferings than snap it away simply. She’s much the same as that, not until yesterday. Yesterday, she just became an enigma. I barely knew her. You would think that you already knew even the slightest part of their character, but actually you don’t. You don’t know what’s in their mind, you don’t what their feeling, you don’t know any for certain. And maybe a simple hello would have changed her mind. Maybe if I just listen to what she’s about to say, I would have changed her mind. Maybe if I did approach her and invited in my birthday then today must be a great day. This is how being insensible gets you, I think.

Today, there are cakes, candles, balloons, letters, and presents that are waiting for me, but no people. Kaye and Natasha already promised that we’re going to have a good time after the burial since they parents told them so and to respect Alison’s death as well. Franco just called me and he was really sorry about not greeting me personally and he had his reasons. And I think it was a good thing that I haven’t told anyone that I’ll be throwing a party so that I’ll not postpone any. I went home late, and as I opened the door, my mom was there smiling, with a cake on her hands and greeted me happy birthday. We are both crying. I blow the candle and wish. Unlike from all my previous wishes, this one, I won’t be able to know if it will come true.

I just wished for Alison to forgive me.

© 2017 Shandel


Author's Note

Shandel
Please help me improve my work. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on November 20, 2017
Last Updated on November 20, 2017
Tags: Suicide

Author

Shandel
Shandel

Cebu, 7, Philippines



About
Well, other of my works were written because it is an assignment at school. more..

Writing