Negotiations

Negotiations

A Story by frorizzle2013
"

A simple business transaction.

"

Log: 21-08-2057

           “You may begin.”

The overseer looks down at the clear tablet that he had set down earlier. A notification draws his attention away from the meeting�"it’s his third this week.

Thank you, your Honor.”

He pays the negotiator little attention. Looking down at the tablet he reviews several items: a reminder of his 8 o’clock with the Mayor�"noted�"three naked pictures from his mistress�"saved; deleted; zoomed in, enhanced, cropped, saved�"and a message from his son�"deleted, unopened.

           “If the prospecting party is ready to begin,” the negotiator meets eyes with her opponent, sensing his weakness, and continues, “we can start.”

          The negotiator looks at his client, who nods his head confidently. He looks upon his opposition, takes a moment to gather himself, and addresses the overseer, “We’re ready.”

            The room is silent for a few moments. The man retains his gaze to the tablet in his hands.

            “Yeah, go for it,” he mutters.

          “Very well,” the man says, taking another breath. He’s nervous�"this man has entrusted him with securing this deal, regardless of his most recent negotiation blunders. He looks upon his opposition and nods his head, prompting her to start.

        “My client,” she motions her arm to the woman that sits beside her�"a fair woman in her late twenties, she is considered gorgeous by most standards�"and continues, “has already seen the proposals of ten well qualified candidates that have been under scrupulous review.”

The woman that sits beside her lifts her head cautiously. Her eyes meet that of the prospect’s client�"they hold for a few moments. She wishes to speak, but she holds her tongue. They break their gaze to avoid suspicion, and continue listening.

What would make this process much faster is a clear and concise summary of what makes your client special�"when compared to the others at least.”

The overseer blurts out a chuckle. Eight eyes stare at him blankly as a video plays on his device. He puts it away safely in his jacket and motions for the meeting to continue.

The man looks down at one of the tablets laid out in front of him, opens a file, and shows it on the holo-screen that is projected in the center of the table. “You can clearly see that my client’s resume is impeccable�"a stellar student, many definitive character references, a stable and suitable living environment.” He motions his hand left and the projection changes to a family tree. “I’ve no doubt that you’ve taken the time to analyze his ancestry.”

The woman had anticipated this�"a sly smile envelopes her expression. “Yes,” she says, beginning to interact with the projection. She zooms in on a distant relative�"still of direct ancestry to her opponent’s client�"revealing a blank profile. “Well, well, it seems we’re missing some information, aren’t we?”

The man frantically looks up at his representative, who waves his hand in assurance, addressing the overseer. “Your Honor, I’ll have it on record that the family member is six generations above that of my client, which does not bar us from continuing negotiations under the uncertainty clause of the preliminary contract drawn up for this meeting.”

Stopping himself from falling asleep, the overseer sighs and leans in, counting upward. One, two, three�"I hate my job�"four, five… six. “Yeah, it checks out,” he returns to leaning back and barely paying attention. “Proceed.”

The seated man and woman look up at one another with hopeful expressions.

Now,” the man’s representative begins, “you’ll notice that my client has agreed to take on not only the stipulated responsibilities, but also all of the optional additions,” he looks his opponent directly in the eye, “unlike any of the other prospects.”

The woman begins to retreat into her files as she looks over the other possible candidates. She starts to realize that her opponent is well prepared and may secure this deal.

And for the price that we’re proposing, it would be ridiculous to even consider anyone else.”

The woman stops searching and pulls two files, projecting them on the holo-screen for all in the room to see. “We all know that compatibility trumps all,” she directs the others’ attention to the projected images. “Marvelously suitable: offers incredible diversity and meets all requirements with ease. Yes, your client may be willing to work a little harder, but for what it’s worth, can he even stack up?”

I’d like it on record that my client is more attractive.”

Objection: highly opinionated.”

A loud buzz quiets the room. The overseer removes his finger from the button and drags his hands down his face. “If the prospect can prove this opinion within reasonable doubt, I’ll allow it.”

The man’s representative looks upon his client, and then that of his opponent. “Well? What do you think?”

Lifting her head cautiously once more, her gaze returns to the man. They look into each other’s eyes with a hidden desire. Her eyes move to the questioner and then her own representative, who nods her head affirmatively.

Maybe a closer comparison,” she suggests, projecting a slideshow comparing the two candidates.

She watches the slideshow carefully for several moments. “I… I don’t know.”

Her representative smiles, “Well perhaps a more direct approach.” She leans down and removes two athletic t-shirts, both wrapped and sealed in plastic.

Objection, your Honor, we were given no prior warning of this!”

The preliminary agreement states that we may recover articles of clothing for chemical analysis,” she pulls up the clause and projects it on screen.

Sustained.”

The seated man and woman dart their eyes at one another, fear clouding their thoughts.

Now,” the negotiator opens the sealed packages; an unpleasant smell wafts in the air, “please, if you may.”

The woman looks up at her representative, who affirms her intentions with a nod. She leans over and sniffs each of the shirts with hesitation. The overseer watches for a moment and discreetly returns his attention to the tablet in his jacket while the others are distracted. The woman carefully gauges the scents of each shirt�"the others in the room watch her contemplation with great interest. She sits back in her chair and looks at the man, who appears worried. She prevents a tear from running down her face by breaking her gaze.

Well?” her representative asks.

Competing thoughts overwhelm her as she sits in silence, her eyes squeezed shut. She knows what she should answer; she knows what she wants to answer. She knows the truth, but she yearns for the truth to be different. For a moment she imagines herself standing up and jumping out of the window so she may escape this choice that she cannot make.

Her eye dart open and she gathers her composure, “That one,” she says pointing towards a black t-shirt.

The male negotiator shuts his eyes and lowers his head for a moment, looking down at his client who sinks in his chair. He places a hand on his shoulder and pats him.

The overseer looks at the time, “Well if the prospect can offer nothing further that is worthy of consideration…”

He remains motionless, still slouched in defeat. He looks up at the woman across the table, whose watery eyes look at him briefly. He shakes his head.

Then I conclude this negotiation,” the man hits the buzzer, takes out his device, and leaves.

The two parties pack their respective items in silence. The projection of the preliminary agreement automatically zooms back out. Beside the empty words two double helix cords are shown alongside a major histocompatibility complex analysis. The seated man stares at the bold font that hovers menacingly above.

Reproduction Proposal Agreement.

© 2013 frorizzle2013


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

S**t. I forgot hyphens become quotations on here.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
1 Review
Added on May 21, 2013
Last Updated on May 21, 2013

Author

frorizzle2013
frorizzle2013

ME



About
Where to begin? I'm a teenage writer, who's never taken writing as seriously as he could have. Put simply, I'm very self-critical (especially when it comes to writing) and prone to cynicism and nihili.. more..

Writing