My Heart Skips a Beat

My Heart Skips a Beat

A Story by Funmi Elizabeth Olaiya

 

 My Heart Skips A Beat.

Practically, I’m a girl that meditates a lot. My thoughts comprises of my views and opinions at most times. My Question is �" what is the world turning into? Does it get better or worse? I sat in my mum’s car at one point in time on a particular day and I saw this little girl getting beaten by her mother. Her mother kept on shouting in the Yoruba language- “lo sise jo, omo ale”(go and work, b*****d). I simply looked at the girl and realized that she wasn’t more than ten years old. I felt warmer. I felt like getting out of my mum’s car to help her even though I didn’t know where to start from. But, for no reason, I was glued to the chair. I kept on wondering what would become of her. Her mother gave her a bucket of oranges to sell which she carried on her head. I thought to myself, what if she falls into the wrong hands, what if she gets sexually molested, what if she gets murdered for those who involve themselves in rituals, what if, what if, what if. She was a really small girl, I’m sure she hardly knows what is right or wrong. I followed her with my eyes till she went out of sight. I don’t need to be her parent or someone she knows before I should help her out. I regretted not coming out of my car that day to at least get her name or where she lives. What is the world turning into? What is wrong with us? Is the little girl meant to go and work? Of course no! Later, I noticed that her mother brought a stool outside, sat down (I was thinking that she even had something very important to do) and practically did nothing for the next two hours. I was astounded and at the same time disappointed. Possibly, if anything happens to the girl now, the only thing, the mother will say is that- “I only sent her to sell oranges” and also shedding tears which could have been prevented. Since then I knew worlds are apart. When I was sixteen I told my Dad that I wanted to work, and he simply told me not to bother because he did not want to expose me too much. I was confused with what he said but I listened to him and anything I asked from him, he will surely give me. Now, let’s take a look at that little girl’s scenario, even if she brings back some money she makes from selling those oranges, her mother will later collect all the money and the girl gains nothing- no schooling, not even a dime from the money, no motherly love- because her mother will keep shouting at her to work. Also, it has become so rampant these days how little children take to the roads and start cleaning the windscreens of cars and start requesting for money afterwards. Most of the time, the car owners scream at them to not lay hands on their cars, but still, they beg for money. Little children have practically become beggars. In other words not most parents send their children out, the children run away from home by themselves due to some reasons. But all the same, these children can be helped, can be talked to, and can be sent to public school at least to get a little bit of the better something. Suffering can be tamed. Do not take it as a destiny! God help this country. It doesn’t start only with those parents, it starts with us too. We are the change we want for this world.


SAY NO TO CHILD TRAFFICKING.

© 2016 Funmi Elizabeth Olaiya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on February 27, 2016
Last Updated on February 27, 2016