Terms & Conditional Affection

Terms & Conditional Affection

A Story by Gabriele Montgomery
"

A conversation about self-inflicted scars, and the silent blows others unknowingly inflict.

"

I smile with an earthquake tremble and avoid his eyes when I mumble this next sentence because I am afraid of his reaction.

"I used to hallucinate a lot. I heard voices telling me to kill myself. I tried to, many times."

In the dark, he does not see my scars; he walks his bike next to me and the conversation flows easily and I can’t tell if it’s the meth talking or the 40oz but through his own retelling of suicide and strength not to pull the trigger, he doesn’t hear my sigh of relief and he doesn’t notice the earthquake pass.

I frown with a fat lip and my hands crawl in and out of each other nervously like newborn animals as I focus directly on them, not him, again, because I am afraid of seeing his face fall into a sympathetic mask like all the others.

"I’m crazy. I’m hard to deal with. Eventually, everyone leaves; it’s not their fault that they do, it’s not cruel abandonment. It just is. I’m not bitter."

He doesn’t miss a beat, and with earnest determination to make me believe and make me love myself and make me forgive myself, says what they have all said at one point or another.

"You’re not crazy. You’re perfect."

I bite my tongue but me and my scars want to know why I cannot be both.

© 2013 Gabriele Montgomery


Author's Note

Gabriele Montgomery
Constructive crit appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on September 20, 2013
Last Updated on September 20, 2013
Tags: self harm, cutting, mental illness, depression, memoir, personal

Author

Gabriele Montgomery
Gabriele Montgomery

Phoenix, AZ



About
Queen of dorks and good food; writes about sad, strange things and likes prepositional phrases. more..

Writing