dark sunday

dark sunday

A Story by gatzie

I flipped through the pages of my book, it was a pleasant morning, bright and refreshing, and a holiday to cuddle the pillow and lie down in bed, wrap myself under the blanket and enjoy the coolness and serenity of the day. I was reading an emotional chapter, the young boy whose father's death is been portrayed beautifully through its poetic lines, silently weeping I went through the lines, my eyes getting welled up with each word I read, I let myself delve deep and deep into the story that I lost my sense of what is happening around. suddenly with a jerk I looked my side on hearing my grandpa's feeble yet strong voice, that sounds contrasting but it was indeed like that, a mixture of both, I turned aside to look at him, he was unusually weak that day, the day before we all cousins accompanied him to temple where he told us tales of legends from mythology, he wanted to have his dinner from the best restaurant of the city and we all joined him for one of the best dinner we could ever have, that was the night my grandma said him to be like the young handsome gentleman whom she met years before, who with his charm captivated her and whose endless tales of things around kept her mesmerized under his spell till this very day. And to see him back like this after suffering through turmoil of various diseases he smiled and laughed his heart out on that very night as he tasted the most delicious delicacy of the city or rather as he says of the world. and today he woke early in the morning feeling uneasy, everyone gathered around him, all cousins of mine with their family came up to see him, he knows how to calm the situation and with his enchanting smile on the wrinkled face he made feel  the atmosphere lightened up, he came near me, saw me deeply engrossed in reading, reading was his pastime hobby too but never let reading take over him to make him forget his duties and responsibilities, he balanced his life perfectly and whenever he sees me getting lost to the fictitious world of books he used to scold me, make my mom and grandma take the book away from me, but today was different, he let me continue read and also asked me to read the lines for him, I looked at him bit startled he smiled and gestured me to continue, I read aloud for him, in between my sobs interrupted his listening, he knew how much the words had affected me and he didn't want me to feel awkward crying and reading in front of him that he slyly left the room making me read all to myself and cherish each word for me. I looked at the clock, kept my book aside and wondered where my grandpa is, I peeped outside my room and saw no one, this worried me, an unknown eerie feeling irked me, I walked out, walked through the corridors, walked the entire house saw no one, I looked outside and found the climate was gaily, it could tempt even the laziest of all to walk in the garden, yet my eyes were frantically searching for everyone, some unknown fear has already crept in me and I was expecting the worst, at the deep end of the corridor feeble sounds could be heard, I followed the sound, on reaching the end in a room which was always closed I saw my whole family packed up in, the small tiny room looked as if will burst any moment, I put my head in and heard my uncle saying "dad wanted to be here while he breathe his last", tears filled up my eyes, I was remembered of the story which I was reading minutes before, the death of the young boy's father, and then my grandpa's feeble voice which overshadowed those poetic lines, I held back my tears expecting a miracle even as I saw him taking his final breathe,, whole of time stood still, I felt a pause enveloping the whole surrounding, a complete stillness evolved and I saw the soul bidding away, I felt him to be smiling, that innocent gentle smile on his wrinkled face sparkled in my imagination, concreting it there forever. 

© 2012 gatzie


Author's Note

gatzie
this is my first writing

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

First writing?
I just can't believe it...

this is something... I never have gone through...
Excellent job....

And to see him back like this after suffering through turmoil of various diseases he smiled and laughed his heart out on that very night as he tasted the most delicious delicacy of the city or rather as he says of the world......> Gutsy Gatzie.... your words are so powerful, it pierces through ......

Keep the flame alive....

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gatzie

11 Years Ago

thank u ... :)



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sid
Good first attempt, you convey the emotions well. Apart from some grammatical errors and some mixed up tenses, this is a good write, specially for your first attempt...well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


First writing?
I just can't believe it...

this is something... I never have gone through...
Excellent job....

And to see him back like this after suffering through turmoil of various diseases he smiled and laughed his heart out on that very night as he tasted the most delicious delicacy of the city or rather as he says of the world......> Gutsy Gatzie.... your words are so powerful, it pierces through ......

Keep the flame alive....

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gatzie

11 Years Ago

thank u ... :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 17, 2012
Last Updated on November 17, 2012

Author

gatzie
gatzie

kochi, India



About
hey am gayatri loved to be addressed gatsie or gatzzy !! loves writing small small poems and stories, even writes fan fictions based on Indian television shows more..


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..