Where is heaven

Where is heaven

A Story by george knox
"

love, togetherness? eternity with someone you love.. what if.....

"

Opening my eyes, I look around in stunned silence, unable to believe the scene before me. I see colours, unimaginable in life - yet so real, there are trees, beautiful flowers and a river of golden water winding it’s way through a gorgeous green valley, a world bright and fresh - so unlike the earth I knew. I climb to my feet, struggling to get my mind into focus. On rising, a hand touches my shoulder, I turn around, startled.

‘Hello, Peter,’ a young man stands before me dressed in robes of brilliant white. ‘We have been waiting for you.’

I step back and stare at him blankly. ‘Where am I?’

‘You passed from mortality to eternity a short while ago, my name is Adam’.

‘Mortality? Eternity?  You mean I’m Dead??’

‘No, in fact you are very much alive, death only applied to your mortal state,’ said Adam

‘I....I don’t even remember dying, I wasn’t even ill for goodness sake, I’m only thirty nine years old.’

‘Sit down Peter’ his voice calmed my exited state.

I sat down slowly.

‘I am here to answer your questions, you must have many,’

I looked at Adam, ‘How did I get here? What happened?’

‘You were driving your car when you were hit by an oncoming vehicle. You died instantly, people who die so quickly, all suffer the same reaction of shock. Your body was buried this morning.’

‘Buried ?, my funeral was this morning ?’ I was stunned. Somehow I had always imagined myself watching over my own funeral, observing twisted expressions of grief, listening to words of appreciation for my life. I felt cheated, hurt.

Adam put his arm on my shoulder. ‘It isn’t important Peter, look around and see what you have now, nothing of your past will matter , he paused , at least for now.’



‘Am I in heaven ?’

You will decide that in time,’ He said with a smile.’You have many wonderful people to meet.’

‘This place is so beautiful,’ I said.

‘It is a perfect world.’  Adam pointed to an incredible scene, ‘the trees know not of autumn nor winter, the flowers are always in bloom.’

‘The golden waters,’ I observed, ‘are they drinkable?’

‘We have no need of sustenance here,’ said Adam.

‘It’s daylight, it’s so bright, but I can’t see the source of light, where is the sun?’

‘This world is light unto itself, we have no need of sunlight here.’

I sat in deep meditation, trying to come to terms with what was happening to me. I look up to Adam, ‘If this is heaven, wouldn’t I go through some sort of judgement before I get here?’

‘The principles of reward and punishment will become clear to you soon.’  Adam helped me to my feet. ‘Come it is now time to meet the others.’

Adam took me by the arm and led me beyond the river to a clearing in the trees.

I was astounded to see multitudes of people, all dressed like Adam, in brilliant white. A young couple came towards me.

‘Hello Peter, welcome, it’s so wonderful to see you again.’

Despite their youthful appearance, I immediately recognised them as my grandparents. They stood among dozens of generations, all in perfect youth - yet I knew them all.

They all appeared so contented, happy,  but I didn’t feel the same. Suddenly it hit me, I realised why they were so happy, content - they were all couples!  At that moment I realised what Adam meant when he told me I would decide whether this would be heaven.

Sandra! Thoughts of Sandra came flooding back. How I longed to be with her again.

I walked away and sat down deep in thought.

Adam saw my sad expression and wandered over to me.





‘Adam, this could only be heaven if I can share it with the woman I love, Sandra means everything to me.  I remember when we met, we were both lonely, she was beautiful, with eyes warm and inviting.  We fell in love so quickly, she was the only person who really cared for me, we were so right for each other.

‘The accident,’ I shouted suddenly, Sandra, was she in the car?’

Calm yourself, Peter, She was not with you, she is fine.’

When will I see her again? I might not see her for another forty years!’ I sank into despair at the thought of being alone for so long.

‘Peter, don’t be sad, time is not a commodity here - it means nothing. It will pass surprisingly quickly.’

I felt a little comfort from his words, however,  from that moment on, Sandra was always on my mind. I thought much of  that moment when I would hold her again.

I learned so much in this world. I always imagined lazing around in the afterlife, but I was surprisingly busy. Getting to know thousands of relatives was hard work. I felt quite content but not happy. I knew that in time I would be with Sandra again and eternity would be just perfect.

Time, if I could refer to it as such, passed and I found myself meditating in the meadow when Adam approached me. ‘Peter, Sandra has arrived.’

I stood up immediately my voice taking on a tone of utmost urgency, ‘ Where is she ?’  Where is she?’

Adam pointed to the clearing in the trees. ‘She is with the others.’

I ran and ran as fast as I could go, that long awaited embrace going through my mind. I just wanted to hold her tight and tell her how much I loved her . I had so much to tell her. At last my eternity appeared to be complete.

I fought through so many people and as I approached the centre of the clearing, I saw her. She stood in the distance, in perfect resurrection. I stopped. She was as beautiful as I had always remembered. Her glowing countenance revealed a wonderful smile, so happy, content. I suddenly became calm as I walked closer to her.


Sandra turned towards me. Her wonderful smile melted as tears fell from her eyes. She looked at me   with a stare of sympathy that will haunt me forever.

She turned slowly away. I could only watch helplessly as she fell into the arms of another man..... Their loving kiss sealed my fate.

I stood in silence. I watched him hold her.  I knew he could not love her as I do, yet he now gave the love and attention I could only dream of giving her. As I glanced around, I saw loving couples, hand in hand in perfect union. A Thousand generations, their joy fulfilled.

I realised I did not belong here. With tears streaming down my face I ran back to the meadow unable to cope with my plight. I pleaded with God. ‘Please take from this place, I do not belong, take me please,’



All around me was silence. No more did I view a beautiful world. Adam, Sandra, my friends, all gone. At that moment I knew I would be alone - forever.

My eternity had become crystal clear.

Judgement was complete.

THE END

 

© 2010 george knox


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on February 15, 2010
Last Updated on February 15, 2010

Author

george knox
george knox

newcastle, north east, United Kingdom



About
I have been writing here in england for 20 years. Began on a train to London and hasn't stopped since!! more..

Writing