Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Visiting Venice

Visiting Venice

A Story by Jorj Jie
"

Short Story

"

Visiting Venice

 

I was a visitor at the Day Care Center where my sister was enrolled in. It felt great to be in a real classroom. It had a nice ambiance. I was supposed to go with my Mom to a private institute that my parents owned in the city. But, mom asked me to stay with my sister Venice at the Daycare. She will be attending a board meeting. She was worried that I might get bored while she was at the meeting. I was glad that she decided to do that. I sure had an unforgettable time. 

 

The Daycare was not all fun. Most times, it was noisy. When the teacher steps out for a bit, the kids just start to rant and rave like a bunch of spoiled brats. The place had an increasing number of little rascals. I remember one time my sister came home from the Daycare and she looked all sad. She said this particular girl back in the Day Care bullied her. My Sister is quite the opposite of me. She is very quiet most of the time. She is also very diligent in her studies. If I am not mistaken, the oppressor goes by the name Irene. The day I came to “seat-in” on one of her classes at the Daycare, this bully tried her acts on her. I guess over time, Irene has developed a sneaky fondness for my sister. 

 

The bell rang, and it calls for a lunch break. The little rascals just went running around, yelling, laughing, and talking all at the same time. It was too loud in there. My Sister took me outside. She held me in one hand, while her other hand grabbed her lunch box. She always loved peace. I suppose she sees beauty in tranquility. I was not sure if we were very hungry that day or maybe we were just enjoying our food because there were the two of us feasting upon it. It was a boodle fight, and it satisfied our hunger. We were just cleaning up our table and we were ready to head back to the classroom when all of a sudden; my sister changed her mind as she noticed that we still have ample time to go to the Koi pond at the back of the classroom. 

 

It was such a treat for us to look closely at the Koi fishes swimming around in beautiful patches. It was a combination of big and small Koi fishes. There were orange, white, and black & white patterns. The water in the pond was knee-high, but it appears to be deep at the first glance due to the parts covered with moss and water plants that look like a Water Lily. It was such a good time until Irene and her friend came to break the silence. They tried to scare us by yelling that a crocodile was sleeping under those water plants. I didn't know much about crocodiles then, but I had an idea that it was a nasty beast. At least that’s what I thought from reading Peter Pan. Captain Hook himself was not that much of a fan. Neither was I. It doesn’t seem like crocodiles were friendly animals. Not when they're asleep, more so when they open that mouth full of teeth. I once convinced myself that sharks and crocodiles are second-degree cousins considering the monstrosity they carry. 

 

My sister and I did not trust her, and we did not respond. Instead, we stood up and decided to leave. Watching us trying to move and walk away, Irene took her chance and threw a stone into the pond, splashing out the muddy and stinky water. I didn't get wet, but as I turned to look at my sister, her uniform was covered with dirt. The sight of her, all dirty and was about to cry, made me snap in an instant. I did not know what it was, but I guess that was what they call the “fight or flight” adrenaline rush. We were trying to opt for the “flight” when we decided to walk away, but seeing my sister’s condition gave me a quick change of mood. I don't know how I approached and attacked her but it almost felt like my feet had wings and I was just standing face to face with my sister’s attacker. I stood there and stared at her as if it was piercing through her. I thought she was going to hit me or slap me but she pushed me instead. Far taller than I am, I had no idea how or why I seemed to be extra strong as I pushed her back and dragged her into the Koi pond. 

 

That’s the first and most likely, my last visit to the Daycare. Sadly, that day did not end up too well, but overall, visiting Venice was quite an experience. Since then, according to my sister, they never tried to mess with her.

 

 

 

Wynx58 7/8/14

© 2022 Jorj Jie


Author's Note

Jorj Jie
Corrections and or suggestions are very much welcome :) Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
Added on July 7, 2014
Last Updated on January 26, 2022
Tags: school, kids

Author

Jorj Jie
Jorj Jie

Manila, NCR, Philippines



About
I'm not a Professional writer. I just write whatever comes to mind. Sometimes when I am happy or sad or inspired I put it all into writing. So please bear with me :) more..

Writing
Apartheid Apartheid

A Poem by Jorj Jie