Throwback: Sugar Candy

Throwback: Sugar Candy

A Story by Gee Bee

Transitioning to my teen years, I started to watch cooking shows in the Lifestyle Network. For a while, I considered going to cooking school instead of taking a four-year course. 
One summer afternoon, my brother and I were lazily watching one of the cooking shows. I can't remember which one it was, but it involved sugar candies. We were so astounded at how sugar, when stretched, became a wondrous candy that people enjoyed. 
With an idea, some sugar, blue food coloring, and cane vinegar, we set out our plan. We also wanted to create that sugar concoction with our bare hands. I mixed the sugar together with vinegar, and my brother, probably only 11 or 12 by then, watched with excitement at the prospect of our idea. I mixed and mixed with all my might, making sure that the sugar was boiling. My brother added a few drops of the blue food coloring, and we watched the clear, boiling sugar turn a vivid blue.
I turned off the heat, and poured a bit of the sugar mixture on mom's baking pan. To my dismay, it did not turn the same way as we saw in TV. I ran out of the house, along with the pan of sugar mixture, and poured the contents on the ground, praying that mom wouldn't see it.
My brother and I washed the pans in disappointment, tasting the sugar before then. What went wrong, we wondered. We were so close.
Looking back, we may have missed some things: patience and hard work. And that's what we need now.

© 2014 Gee Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on April 20, 2014
Last Updated on April 20, 2014

Author

Gee Bee
Gee Bee

Manila, Philippines



About
Lurking around, trying to find bits and pieces of me in the most common of places more..

Writing
05-112015JP 05-112015JP

A Story by Gee Bee


04-04052015TW 04-04052015TW

A Story by Gee Bee