27

27

A Story by ghostofedgar
"

The boy was only 27 years old, but was wise beyond his years.

"

I cannot write and this is my feeble attempt at it.  Now that I have vast amounts of time (and your attention), I want to tell you my story.  It is nothing special, it is simply one of many adding to the collective cry of those gone before me.  Their cries, and mine, rise from their graves to weave a tapestry of pain and curses, becoming diluted in the consciousness of the still living.   


Mark Twain said “The personages in a tale shall be alive, except in the case of corpses, and that always the reader shall be able to tell the corpses from the others.”  That being said, let me make it very clear to you that I am dead.  But do not feel sorry for me.  It’s nice where I am.  My grandparents live out in the country, close to where the family cemetery is.  That’s where I am now, off in the corner, near the back.  The leaves have all turned color and most have fallen off the trees.  The wrought iron lettering noting the family name for those few driving by is black against the clouds.  The wind whistles and that suites me fine as I always liked these chilly days when the rain washes everything away.  I’ve thought about this a lot and all I can think about is an apology. An apology to my parents: I’m sorry.  How can I ever exclaim that enough?  I loved you both so much and I know that you would have traded spots with me if it were that easy, but it never is.  I never wanted to be anything less than perfect for you.  To my brother and sister, don’t let my story burden you.  If anything, please find enlightenment in this story and enjoy the life I know both of you deserve.  


They say hindsight is twenty-twenty but I honestly can’t say if things should have been different.  I was the uninvited guest and was upsetting dinner party, so to speak, so I quietly excused myself from the table in the most unfashionable way.

© 2012 ghostofedgar


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

very good...i like the sense of darkness...something i know is difficult to achieve :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Good story, It actually sounds rather positive when compared to the writings of E.A. Poe. It reminds me of "The Voices of Glory" by Davis Grubb.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 18, 2012
Last Updated on May 18, 2012
Tags: death, dying, grave, family

Author

ghostofedgar
ghostofedgar

Toronto, Canada



About
Hi. My name is Matt and I love Edgar Allan Poe. This is reflected in my writing, which usually revolves around death, dying, and the deceased. I like this point of view as it allows me to objective.. more..

Writing