How to Become an Occupational Therapist?

How to Become an Occupational Therapist?

A Story by Harbor Physical Therapy
"

Occupational therapy is the way to assess and intervene to develop, recover, or maintain the meaningful activities, or occupations, of individuals, groups, or communities. It is an allied health profe

"
Are you thinking of pursuing a career as an Occupational Therapist? The field of study has its challenges and perks, but there is a lot that needs to be understood during the application process. Whether you are looking for Occupational Therapy Rehabilitation Services as a field of study or want to pursue Occupational Therapy in Gig Harbor, here are few things you need to know before applying for a degree as an Occupational Therapist:
Select the Program Before Submitting Application:
When you are planning to submit an application, take some time to consider which occupational therapy program is right for you. Things to consider include the location of the university, the campus facilities and the learning structure of the program. Reflect on your own learning style and research which occupational therapy program accommodates that the most. As the application submission date approaches, it is advisable to check about the admission from the admissions team at your selected university and the program section on their website. Attending open days are also a great opportunity to meet the teaching team and talk to current occupational therapy students at the university. Also, check if the occupational therapy programis accredited by the respective government and is in accordance with the regulatory authorities.
Obtain Work experience:
When you submit an application, most universities also request that for you to be eligible to apply onto an occupational therapy program, you need to have obtained work experience shadowing an occupational therapist in practice. Each university will request a different number of hours for shadowing, so do investigate this with your chosen university. 
You might consider contacting local hospitals, trusts, charities and your local council where an occupational therapist is based to obtain this experience. If possible, try to contact occupational therapists working in a variety of practice areas as this will strengthen your application, and you’ll gain a broader understanding of the role. Remember that occupational therapists will be busy, so do plan this in advance, and some organizations will not be able to offer this kind of service at all.
Complete your University Application:
Now that you have selected the university you want to apply to, the next step is completing the application. When applying for an occupational therapy program, you will be asked to write a personal statement. Make sure that you spend time planning this, a good idea is to brainstorm ideas first so that as you start writing the application you have a clear direction and focus.
Your personal statement needs to:
• Show your understanding of the role of an occupational therapist
• Demonstrate you have the skills of an occupational therapist

© 2018 Harbor Physical Therapy


Author's Note

Harbor Physical Therapy
Are you looking at occupational therapy rehabilitation services as a field of study to perform occupational therapy in Gig Harbor? Follow these tips and you shall get the best results.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What kind of idiot is so cheap that they spam a writer's venue with crap like this rather than pay the site to advertise, legitimately?.

Answer: One that doesn't care that they're being an a*s, are cluttering the forum with spam, and isn't smart enough to realize that it will gather resentment, not customers.



Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
1 Review
Added on September 20, 2018
Last Updated on September 20, 2018
Tags: Occupational, Therapy, Gig Harbor