Clockwork

Clockwork

A Story by Jessica
"

A flash fiction piece I wrote based off of a painting that I found.

"

Tick tock. This one was a lot louder than the usual minute ticking of the timepieces that Joshua brought into the house. Completely transparent except for the numbers, and about a foot in size, this clock was one of the many that decided to go off every hour. However, the hourly dinging that this particular vexation produces, causes my body to shudder. I don’t think I can ever adjust to it.

            Tick Tock. At only 12 years old, Joshua seems to have a talent at retrieving clocks of every category and he loves to bring them home, no matter what sound they produce. The doctors said that this is something that is likely to be with him his whole life, however I don’t think this is something that I can bear to deal with for the rest of my life.

            Tick Tock. I think it is only a matter of time until Joshua starts ticking. His lack of human friends only feeds his desire to spend time with his clocks. I partially blame myself for the extent of this obsession because I have neglected to provide Joshua with the educational environment that he requires. I constantly drown myself in the wonder that maybe if I could have provided him with this one thing, maybe he would be able to befriend other children similar to him. The doctors tell me that this environment doesn’t play a factor in his social skills and that nothing can ultimately assist him in wanting to make friends. After all he is happy with his friends that he has accumulated. Tick tock.

            Tick tock. Tick tock. Tick tock. The sound is constantly echoing through our small one bedroom apartment. This months’ dues won’t be acquired in time since my medical school loans have piled up beyond reach. Money has never had such an effect on either one of our lives until recently. Today I attempted to steal one of Joshua’s clocks to sell at the pawn shop. It took not even five minutes for the screaming to start. As soon as he returned from the bathroom he erupted into complete distressful screams. This is the one time in which no ticking could be heard.

            It was at this moment when I knew what had to be done. I returned the clock to Joshua and he wouldn’t talk to me for a few days. This gave me the uninterrupted time that I needed between work, school and meals. My plan was all conjured up and I knew what had to be done. It seems that it would solve all of the pressing issues in which have been hanging over me for as long as I can remember. Tick Tock.

            It was Monday morning when I informed the school that Joshua would be homeschooled from now on in order for him to receive the proper assistance that he requires. Friday was his last day of school and this was the day that Lenard came over to assess him. He pressed firmly on Joshua’s stomach, back and examined his eyes. He determined that Joshua would be a great match. Tick tock.

            It’s Saturday, and today is the day. I walked into sleeping Joshua’s room with the chloroformed pillow in my hand. I proceeded to cover and press down on his face with the pillow until his shuttering body fell limp below me. Tick tock.

            I walk into my room to retrieve the scalpel, containers and instructions that Lenard left me yesterday, and head back into Joshua’s room. As I place each warm organ into separate containers, the ticking appears to be louder than ever. As I finished my duties, I was attacked by the numerous rumbles of each ding as the clocks struck 7 o-clock. After 7 various tones of horrifying dings, the room fell silent.

            Tick Tock. I place the containers in the fridge and proceed to grab the trunk from the living room and drag it into Joshua’s room. I lift his empty, lifeless body into the trunk and secure each latch shut. Tick tock.

            Lenard came to the house to pick up the chilled organs and paid me $50,000 dollars cash on the spot. This paid off my loans and small apartment completely. Tick, tick, tick. Will it ever stop? Tick tock. Tick tock. I’ve had enough. Tick tock. I grab a nearby clock and punch out the glass. Tick tock. The smallest hands on the clock were surprisingly easy to break off. Tick tock. I insert each tip into both ears. In a swift motion I hit the ends of both of them with all of my strength. I sit and let the warm liquid run down my neck. Silence. I let out a long breath of relief, finally. That’s when my ears started ringing.

 

 

© 2014 Jessica


Author's Note

Jessica
I don't really like how I ended it. any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on December 8, 2014
Last Updated on December 8, 2014
Tags: dark, organ trafficking, death, murder, greed, desperation

Author

Jessica
Jessica

Writing
Numb Numb

A Poem by Jessica


Mine Mine

A Poem by Jessica