Her Color

Her Color

A Story by Agape Montero
"

Don't let the flame of your passion burn to bright, or it might hurt you

"

Her Color

By: G. A. Montero


            I've always been fascinated by the color red. Crimson. Scarlet. Any kind of red. It was a passionate color, that stood for love, lust, strength, and confidence. I've always loved that color. I was also an artist. Sitting at my drawing desk with sketchbooks filled to the brim with amateur works of art. They all had a common running theme, of course. Red. A red burning sunset. Red stones that lined a driveway. Red flowers, dotting a gray field of grass. I used clay as well. Small pots carved with intricate designs by my scalpel, filled my shelves. Those too, had splashes of red. Every day, I wore something red. Of course, I wasn't a freak about it. I didn't wear a red jumpsuit, or matching red pants and a shirt. I took the time to be… ‘normal.’ A red blouse. Or a little red bow in my hair. I simply loved the color red. One day, when I came home from school, I saw red. To the naked eye, it was nowhere to be found. Our living room was at loss of the beautiful color, and instead its theme was a light blue. No, instead it was in the air, flashing like a firework. There were my parents, screaming obscenities at each other. Their words were red, and their actions were red, and I could feel the fear start to creep into me, as I ran up to my room. For once, the red couldn't comfort me, for there was too much… It went on for days. Soon, it became a routine. An invisible red that hung around the house, blanketing my parents and every action they did. I too, then found something that could prevent myself from seeing their red…by using my own. I dived deep into my art hobby. Sketchbooks were splattered viciously with the color of red as my scalpel carved intricate designs into my arms. I became my own canvas, so many inches of skin just waiting to be drawn on. It was exhilarating. Seeing the color red coming from my own body �" the center of the color I loved the most. Whenever my carvings dried, I drew a new one, never ceasing the continuous paintings that adorned my skin. Lightheaded-ness was something I passed for euphoria. I had to do it, or else I’d see a different kind of red. The invisible one…this red was not invisible. It was LOUD. It drowned out the screams. It was the color that hazed before my eyes as I sat on the bathroom floor. It was the color that tricked from my mouth as I felt a cough gurgle from my throat. It was the color that dissipated as my parents ran into the room, looking at me in horror as I lay, embraced, in a puddle of my favorite color. I don’t regret it at all, leaving them like that. Their screams can’t find me. The hell I know now is red. It’s all red, just for me.

© 2014 Agape Montero


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on February 17, 2014
Last Updated on February 17, 2014
Tags: angst, life, suicide

Author

Agape Montero
Agape Montero

About
Hello~! I'm just a young writer who occasionally writes stories.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Agape Montero