BLUE COLLAR HEART

BLUE COLLAR HEART

A Story by Glen Lewis
"

Kathy Wood, small town born and raised, is trying to make her life in the big city. She's fallen for co-worker Steve, against the advice of Ryan, high school friend , hopelessly obsessed with her.

"
                                           
                                                         BLUE COLLAR HEART
  

     Kathy stared into her half empty coffee cup, twirled a strand of her blonde hair and contemplated another work day. As it was Friday, and the eve of a long holiday weekend, she looked forward to a few days off from the office in the human resource department of the auto factory. She was generally happy with her career path, but she wondered how her personal life and gotten so complicated.

     "Mornin' Kath.", mumbled Judy, entering the kitchen and heading for the nearby coffee pot.

     Older and presumably wiser, Judy was big city smart, and the ideal roommate for a former small town girl like Kathy.

     "Good morning, Judy.", replied Kathy. "Scrambled eggs in the pan, if you want."

     "Yeah, thanks. Coffee first though.", Judy chuckled, sitting down at the kitchen table. "God, you make good coffee!", she exclaimed, with the first sip. "Soooo..how did it go last night? Did you talk to Ryan?"

     "I did.", nodded Kathy. "We met up at the doughnut shop last night. Sat there until 1 a.m. I finally told him, I'm seeing Steve exclusively now."

     "Wow!. And how did he take that breaking news?", Judy asked.

     "Not good.", Kathy replied. "Kept insisting that Steve is a womanizer and isn't for me, and so on ,you know. He just can't accept the truth;  that I could fall for somebody else."

     "Well, you said what needed saying.", Judy figured.

     "I'm tired of the two of them fighting over me like I'm some kind of prize.", Kathy continued. "Especially when we all work for the same company. People gossiping...it's embarrassing."

     "I believe it.", Judy agreed. "Remember the company Christmas party? I thought those two would come to blows, arguing about who was going to dance with you next."

     "Well, the point now is...", Kathy resumed. "I love Steve; I've known it for weeks. And now Ryan knows it. This dating two men was never for me and it had to stop."

     "Ryan will have to get over it and life goes on.", Judy reasoned. "Besides, Steve has a lot going for him. He's gorgeous, the head of regional sales, he has a condo, money and a nice car. How could you help but be attracted to him? Ryan's a decent guy, but good Lord, he works in the factory. He doesn't even have a car!"

     "That's not really fair Judy.", Kathy began again. "Ryan's a hard worker. I know he's in line for a foreman position. He's saving for a pickup truck too. I've known him since high school, back in Kirkland Lake. Our fathers both worked in the mines. He's as sweet a guy as you could ever meet. I remember in grade nine, he could hardly get up the courage to talk to me, he was so nervous! Maybe he is too nice, if
that makes any sense."

     "I know what you mean.", Judy nodded. "A girl wants a man who is decisive and confident."

     "Maybe that's it.", exclaimed Kathy. "Ryan will always be the boy next door type. When I moved to the city, I wanted to meet new and different people. Steve is so spontaneous, and fun to be with. That's what I love about him. He has a confidence that I find so appealing."

     "Didn't you say Ryan followed you down here from up north?", Judy queried.

     "Yes. After we graduated, I left home and moved down here.", Kathy began to explain. "Ryan declined a college hockey scholarship in the States, and followed me here, a few months later. I was stunned when I heard about it. It was a foolish decision."

     "What a guy in love won't do, huh?", said Judy. "He must really care about you to give up such an opportunity."

     "The next thing I know, he's moved down here and gets a job in the plant.", Kathy continued. "I see him because he's still a friend from back home. But, it's Steve I want to be with now. Ryan never dated anybody all through high school because he was so focused on me. God, he never even went to the high school grad dance, because I happened to be going with someone else.."

     "It's kind of sad, in a way.", Judy reckoned. "I hope he doesn't make things difficult for you."

     "He's got to forget about me and get on with his life." added Kathy.

     "Say, you're going away with Steve this weekend, aren't you?", Judy asked with a sly smile. "Up to his cottage?"

     "Yeah. Tomorrow, Saturday.", Kathy replied. "He's picking me up in the morning. I've been daydreaming about it all week."

     "Usually, he has a big party at his cottage on the July long weekend.", Judy stated. "The stories are legendary."

     "Well, this July weekend,  it's just a party for two.", Kathy assured.

     "Did you tell Ryan.", Judy inquired.

     "No, he doesn't need to know.", Kathy reasoned. "He would just be agonizing about it; picturing Steve and I together. He's hurting enough right now. I'm trying to be happy but I hate making someone else miserable in the process."

     "You're a real idealist, kid.", Judy smiled. "But listen to me. Steve has four years on you. I don't know about the term,'womanizer', but he's had assorted girlfriends in his time. If you're spending the weekend with him, he may be assuming you're ready to take this relationship to the next level, shall we say?"

     "Well, I am.", Kathy said, firmly. "I've been saying 'goodnight' to him at the door long enough. I know he's aching for us to be closer and so am I. This weekend, alone with him is the perfect time for us. I've heard all the stories, but Steve said he loves me. That's all I need to hear."

     "I guess you know him better than I do.", Judy conceded. "And it's none of my business anyway. Maybe you're the girl he could be serious about.  But you be careful."

     "You sound like my mom. Don't worry.", Kathy assured her. "Hey, what about you? What are you up to for the long weekend?'

     "Just hanging around, I guess.", Judy sighed. "But my sister Mary and I are taking her two kids to the ball game on Sunday."

     "Well, I've got an early meeting, so I'm off.", Kathy said, rising from the table. "Hey, I'm going to the mall tonight to get a new swimsuit. Might browse the lingerie department too. Want to come along? I'll buy us dinner."

     "Sure, I'm in for that!", Judy eagerly replied. "Hmmm..."
     
     "Now what's on you mind?", smiled Judy.

     "Two men fighting over you...", Judy pondered. "Now, why doesn't anything like that happen to me?"

     "Your not missing anything!", replied Kathy.

     They both broke into laughter.



                                                             TWO


     The plant cafeteria at break time was typical of a large factory; a sea of uniformed workers eating, chatting and making the best of their valued thirty minute lunch.

      Ryan sat alone with his usual coffee and bran muffin, and tried to read the sports page. Employed just about a year, he was well liked and respected by his associates, and he valued that respect.

     Today however, the sports page was hardly important. The reality of Kathy's words the previous night gnawed at him.

     Sitting down across from him was Pat; a mid-forties lady and no-nonsense supervisor of some twenty years. Direct and to the point, when Pat spoke to the workers, they listened.

     "Hi Ryan.", she said, smiling. "Can't get this shift done fast enough. Then we can all have a long weekend, eh?"

     Her smile changed to a puzzled look.

     "Hey, what's up with you today?", she asked. "You're bugged about something. I noticed it in the plant."

     "Oh, it's that guy in the office", Ryan began. "Steve Sanders. You know....drives the Ferrari?"

     "The self proclaimed, 'God's gift to women'.", Pat nodded. "Never impressed me though. Wait...you were having a beef with him over that Kathy girl, weren't you?"

     "Yes. Kathy Wood in the HR office.", Ryan said. "She told me last night that she loves him. I won't be seeing her much anymore; not socially anyway. That guy is going to wreck her, I just know it."

     "She's a big girl, Ryan.", Pat began to lecture. "She can make her own decisions, right or wrong. Get over it and move on."

     "I can't let him hurt her.", Ryan vowed.

     "Give it up!', Pat said sternly, looking him square in the face. "Look, you've pinned your hopes on this girl too long. Story goes, you followed her her, right? Well, take it from me; this life it not a dress rehearsal. You're hoping for a Hollywood ending, and it's not going to happen."

     "The guy is just a scalp collector, Pat.", Ryan snapped. "Kathy is getting taken in by the phony charm, and doesn't know it. She doesn't know the ways of guys like Steve."

     "It's not for you to say, man.", Pat continued. "Look, I've got no use for Steve either. We've never liked each other. Before you or Kathy were here, Steve started dating one of the girls on the line. Sure enough, he just dumped her and broke her heart. She quit and it was a damned shame. I stormed into the office and told Steve what I thought of him, right in front of everybody. I got in trouble, but it was worth it. The point is, whether he's right for Kathy or not, you can't choose her friends."

     Suddenly, Pat's eyed shifted from Ryan to the cafeteria entrance.

     "Well, well; don't look now but your buddy just walked in.", Pat said, surprised. "I do believe he's seen you and is coming over. I'll excuse myself."

     "No, Pat.", Ryan pleaded. "Stick around, please. Finish your lunch."

     As Steve made his way through the cafeteria, towards Ryan's table, heads began to turn. His tailor made suit stood in contrast with the dark blue uniforms of the employees.

     "Hi Ryan, Pat.", Steve began. "Ryan, can I talk to you for a minute?"

     "Sit down.", said Ryan, motioning to an empty chair.

     "Be better if we talked in private...out in the hall.", Steve advised.

     "I'm on my break.", Ryan growled. "Say what you came to say."

     "All right, you called it.", Steve agreed. "I know Kathy talked to you last night. I want to make sure you're clear on everything she said."

     "What I'm clear on...", Ryan began. "...is that she's making a mistake. I won't let her get hurt by you or anyone else. So, you be clear on that!"

     "She wants to be with me; she told you that.", Steve retorted. "I want to build something with her. You need to accept it."

     "Well, I won't accept it!", Ryan shouted. "She's a decent girl and doesn't deserve to end up as one of your conquests!"

     "What kind of life can you offer her?", Steve said, brushing off Ryan's innuendo. "You're just another blue collar worker who takes a bus to work, carries a lunchbox and lives in a boarding house. Kathy deserves better."

     As their voices grew louder, employees at nearby tables began to listen to the commotion.

     "I know Kathy didn't want to mention this to you....", Steve continued. "...so I'm telling you. She and I are spending this long weekend at my cottage, alone together. Three days and two nights! Is that plain enough for you?"

     Ryan sat in stunned disbelief, as Steve's words sank in.

     "You're lying.", he stammered.

     "Am I?", Steve asked, smiling confidently. "Go in the front office and ask her. Then enjoy the long weekend thinking about us!"

     "That's enough Steve. Lay off!", Pat angrily interjected. "I and a hundred other blue collars in here don't like your judgmental crap! You said your piece, now beat it!"

     "Sure, I think Ryan has the picture now.", Steve said, with a smirk. "I've got a lunch date with Kath anyway. We need to talk over our plans for the weekend."

     As Steve began to walk away, he turned and looked at Ryan.

     "Now, don't you wish you could say that?", he asked, smugly.

     Ryan sat silent and pale, watching Steve finally leave the cafeteria.

     "I'm sorry kid.", Pat began. "He just came in here to rub your nose in it, the lousy... Look, I'm clocking you out for the day. You're too upset. Go on home."

     "I'm all right, Pat.", Ryan said, unconvincingly.

     "I can't have you on the production line, unfocused.", Pat repeated. "I'll fix it with payroll so you won't lose any hours. Wait until the buzzer goes and everybody is back at work. You don't need people asking questions"

     "It's not my way to leave work early, but I guess you're right.", Ryan agreed.



                                                           THREE


     The sudden knock at the door startled Judy, as she enjoyed a morning coffee, listened to smooth jazz and read the Sunday paper. 

     "If that's Mary, she's early.", Judy thought.

     Looking through the apartment door peephole, she gasped and quickly opened the door.

     "Ryan West...well, hi.", she exclaimed. "Um...come in. What's up?"

     "Good morning, Judy." said Ryan. "I'm sorry to drop in like this. I know Kathy isn't here, but may I leave this for her?"

     "Certainly.", Judy replied.

     He handed her a small gift bag. Judy placed it on a nearby mail table. She recognized the bag as being from a local jewelry store. 

     "How did you know Kath was away for the weekend?", Judy wondered. "Oh, wait....Steve told you didn't he?"

     "He did.", Ryan nodded. "And he enjoyed it too."

     "Yes, I'm sure he did.", Judy agreed. "Well, sit down and have some coffee. I'm expecting my sister Mary and her kids. We're going down to the ball game this afternoon."

     "Oh, no thanks Judy.", Ryan declined. "But can you tell Kathy, when she gets back that I'm moving back home. I'm taking the bus...tonight."

     "You're what?", Judy exclaimed. "You can't just up and leave. What about your job and everything? How do you think Kathy is going to feel?"

     "I don't care.", Ryan admitted. "I had a lousy night, lying awake thinking about her and him...alone at his damned cottage. I just want to get out of town. I'll write Kathy later, or something...I don't know."

     "I don't know what to say, Ryan.", Judy shrugged. "I know what it's like to have your heart set on someone and then realizing what you're dreaming of isn't going to happen. But don't quit your job. Take some time off and come back."

     "It's no use.", Ryan said. "I came down here a year ago because of Kathy. But she's with Steve now. I've been kidding myself all along. Enough is enough."

     "Well, maybe what you need is a fresh start.", Judy reasoned. "You're a good guy. It's time you started focusing on yourself and living a little."

     "Yeah, maybe.", Ryan agreed. "Look, you're the best friend Kathy has in this town. She talks to you. Maybe, you could sort of watch out for her."

     "I will, of course.", Judy nodded. "She's a good kid."

     "Anyway...", Ryan continued. "I've got to get back to the house, pack and settle up with the landlady. You guys enjoy the ball game today."

     "Good luck, Ryan.", Judy said, sadly. They gently shook hands, and she closed the door.

     "That poor guy.", she sighed.



                                                          FOUR


     Judy came home exhausted, and began the floor flight walk up to her apartment. The day had been fun; the weather hot, the ball game exciting, and she, her sister Mary and the kids had a good time. 

     As she opened the apartment door and entered, her jaw dropped.

     "Kathy!", she exclaimed. "You're back already!"

     A curled-up figure asleep on the couch, stirred to life.

     "Oh, hi Judy.", muttered Kathy. "Yeah, I'm back already. Got back a while ago, and flopped down on the couch."

     "Something must have happened.", Judy figured. "Am I right?"

     "It was a disaster, Judy.", Kathy began. "I thought Steve and I were going to be alone; the weekend would be special. But people started showing up in the late afternoon."

     "People. What people?', Judy asked, yet knowing the answer.

     "A bunch of Steve's friends from his condo building.", Kathy answered. "On the drive up, he mentioned that, 'a couple of people might drop in for a bit'."

     "God, I know what's coming.", said Judy.

     "By six o'clock, there must have been twenty people there.", Kathy explained. "Friends and hangers-on. Women too."

     "So much for your 'party for two', huh?", Judy guessed. "I'm not surprised."

     "Steve acted like he'd rather have a party than be alone with me.", Kathy added. "I thought, 'what am I even doing here?' I was so disappointed."

     "I'm afraid that's the way Steve is.", Judy admitted. "He likes his parties and lots of people around and being the center of attention. So how did the rest of the evening go?"

     "Awful.", Kathy lamented. "Some girl was hanging off Steve all evening. He seemed to ignore me and thought nothing of how I felt. By midnight, he was drunk and passed out in a bedroom anyway. He probably wasn't alone either. The party carried on, but I stayed outside and slept in a hammock on the deck."

     "What a shame.", Judy sighed. "I'm really sorry, kid. Did you see Steve in the morning."

     "No. I got my stuff and started to leave.", Kathy continued."The house was a mess. Bodies lying around, asleep. Bottles and junk all over. I was going to walk to the town and see about a bus or a rental car. Then, one of the party girls woke up, and said she was driving back to the city. She offered me a ride, and I bought her some breakfast. i think she saw what was going on and felt sorry for me."

     "Well, I'm glad you're back.',Judy admitted. "You're too nice a girl for the likes of Steve."

     "Ryan was right, all along.", Kathy conceded, sheepishly. "Steve isn't for me, and he doesn't love me. I don't fit in with his crowd or his lifestyle. And to think, I bought sexy lingerie to wear. Judy, I feel so foolish! How can I face people at work again; especially Ryan?'

     "Oh my, I have to tell you.", Judy interrupted. "Ryan was here around noon today. He knew you were at the cottage with Steve. He dropped off that little gift bag for you. Here you are.", she said, handing it to Kathy.

     "I wondered what that was.", Kathy said. "I thought it was yours."

     "I feel like a glass of wine.", said Judy, heading for the kitchen. "How about you?'

     "Sure, thanks", Kathy agreed.

     She opened the gift bag with a perplexed look. She gasped, opening the small velvet case inside the bag. 

     "Ryan, what on earth are you doing?', she cried.

     Inside the case was a stunning diamond ring.

     A small card read: 'Kathy please accept this. Even though you'll never wear it, at least you'll know how I felt about you. Ryan."

     "Judy!", Kathy yelled. "Come here and look at this!"

     "Gosh, what is it?", exclaimed Judy, carrying the glasses of wine. "My God!"

     "Ryan wasn't saving money for any pickup truck.", Kathy realized, her eyes filling with tears. "He was saving for this ring. He's crazy!"

     "You've got to admit, the guy goes all in.", said Judy. "He has great taste too. That ring must have cost $7500!"

     "Well, it's going back.", Kathy cried. "What is he even thinking?"

     "But wait,,,there's more.", Judy said. "Here's the B part. Ryan asked me to tell you, he's moving back home. He's taking the bus...tonight."

     "He's whaaaat?", cried Kathy. "He can't do that. I don't believe any of this. Judy, what the heck is happening?"

     "Now, hang on.", Judy said, calmly. "I'll look up the bus schedule on my phone. You might still have time to go downtown and stop him. That is, if you want to."

     "Yes, I have to.", Kathy agreed. "He has to take this ring back."

     "Here's the schedule.", Judy said, holding up her cell phone. "There's only the one bus for Kirkland Lake. It leaves at 9:50 p.m. There's enough time. Suppose you change and freshen up, and I'll drive you down to the depot.'

     "No, you just got in.", Kathy countered. "I'll hop the subway. You relax and enjoy your wine. I need to think about this. Honestly, I don't believe this weekend!"

     "It's not over yet, either.", Judy said to herself.



                                                          FIVE


     The city bus terminal was always busy. But on a long holiday weekend. it was particularly bustling. An old historic landmark in the very heart of downtown, it seemed to be the one constant in an ever changing metropolis.

     Ryan stood patiently in the long ticket line, moving his suitcase along with his foot as the line progressed.. The last time he was in the bus terminal was a year earlier, when he came to the city. He recalled how excited he was; new to the city; his first real job out of school; and he was near Kathy again. Now, he wondered if he had wasted a year of his life.

     "Ticket to Kirkland Lake, please.", Ryan said. "One way."

     "Yes sir.', the clerk said. "One way...that's $88.50. Platform 7A. Leaves in twenty minutes."
     
     Ryan counted out his money, took his ticket and headed out the double door to the passenger boarding area. 

     The garage-like area had everything one would expect of a city bus terminal. Noise, the smell of diesel, taxicabs parked nearby, panhandlers and the repetition of bus destinations over the loudspeaker. 

     Ryan made his way to platform 7A, and stood at the end of the growing line of people. He wondered; 'what will the family think? What will I do for work?' Questions to be answered in due course, he figured.

     "Ryan...WAIT!", someone shouted.

     Ryan immediately recognized the voice as that of Kathy. She ran in from the street to the bus platform. Already, she had tears in her eyes.

     "Kathy!", he exclaimed, totally shocked and surprised. He stepped out of the passenger line to meet her, as an empty bus pulled in to the platform.

     "I need to talk to you.", she began.

     "The bus is starting to load.", Ryan said. "I've got to go."

     The bus driver began to take the tickets and noticed the situation.

     "No rush, bud.", he said to Ryan. "I'm going inside to grab a coffee for the road. You have a few minutes yet."

     "Kathy, why on earth did you come here?', Ryan asked. "You're crying. Let's say goodbye."

     "Why are you doing this?", she cried. "You don't have to move back home."

     "It's no good.", Ryan shrugged. "I can't stay in the same workplace or even the same town, knowing you're with Steve. And, aren't you supposed to be at the cottage?"

     "Just forget about Steve.", Kathy scolded. "I don't want to hear his name again!"

     Ryan knew that something must have happened for Kathy to say such a thing. Though curious, he wisely chose not to ask questions. 

     "Just listen to me for a minute, will you?", Kathy continued. "Ryan, do you remember in grade nine, when you finally got up the courage to walk me home from school? And, that big dog came charging up to us, barking? i was terrified."

     "I remember.", Ryan nodded. "But what does that have to do with..."

     "You jumped in front of me to protect me from that dog.", Kathy continued. "I've never forgotten that."

     "Neither have I.", Ryan said. "That was the moment I knew I loved you. I guess I've always wanted to be the guy to protect you. What made you think of that?"

     "On the way down here tonight, I realized...", she began again. "....you were trying to to protect me from making a mistake with Steve; from being hurt. It's the same as that time with the dog."

     She reached into her purse and took out the velvet ring case.

     "Here, take this.", she said.

     "I don't want it back.", Ryan declined. "I said I wanted you to keep it. I used to walk by the jewelry store every week, for months, looking at it in the window. Well, after this week's payday, i finally had enough saved, and bought it yesterday.'

     "I don't want to give it back, Ryan.", she said, softly. "I want you to put it on my finger...please."

     Ryan thought,'this has to be a dream."

     Dream or not, Ryan did what Kathy asked and slipped the ring on Kathy's outstretched finger. 

     The driver returned with his coffee, and boarded the bus.
 
     "Time to go, sir.",the driver said  "You getting on?"

     "You heard the man.", Ryan said turning to Kathy. "Am I getting on the bus?"

     "No, he's not getting on, driver!", Kathy shouted. 

     "So, now what?", Ryan asked, cracking a smile.

     "Now, this!",  she replied, embracing and kissing him.

     She took the bus ticket from his hand and crumpled it.
   
     "And now....", she whispered. "....let's get out of here!"

     The driver watched and smiled. He closed the bus door and drove off.

     
 



      

     
      
        

    



     

     

     

                                                  

© 2020 Glen Lewis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

666 Views
Added on March 31, 2020
Last Updated on April 4, 2020
Tags: romance, frienship

Author

Glen Lewis
Glen Lewis

Newmarket, ON, Canada