EQUALITY IS FINE

EQUALITY IS FINE

A Story by Ravi Ranjan Goswami
"

A short story

"
The traveler reached a new state on the go. The state was large and the population was high. So Traveler decided to stay there for two to three days and stayed in an inn.
At night the mosquitoes harassed him greatly, but he covered himself with a sheet and slept. 
The next day he left for a city tour. People on the street were strangely watching him. Some people were laughing also.
Then he saw a soldier saw coming towards him. The soldier came near him and said, "You have to give me a fine of a gold coin. "
Saying this, he took out the receipt book from his pocket and gave a receipt for his fine to the passenger. The traveler gave him a gold coin and asked, " Please tell me why have you fined me
The soldier said, " You have worn a half-sleeve kurta, this is its punishment." Look around, all the people have worn clothes covering the entire body. "
The traveler said, "I am a foreigner so I did not know about this prohibition.
The soldier said, " There is no question of half sleeve or full sleeve. The reason for the punishment is that you left your body uncovered.
The traveler saw that some people had also covered their faces.
Traveler again asked the soldier," Do the people here practice the purdah system.
The soldier said, " No."
Then why so much bothering for covering the body?
The soldier said, " There are a lot of mosquitoes in our state during this season. You will find innumerable mosquitoes buzzing indoors and out in the evening. Therefore, the king commands that all the people wear clothes covering the whole body, otherwise they will be punished. Because you are bitten by mosquitoes, Invite diseases caused by their bites and endangers the health of oneself and those around you."
Traveler asked, "Does the state not spray mosquito repellent? "
The soldier said, "In such a huge state, a lot will be spent on this work. Which will put a burden on the state exchequer."
Traveler asked, " I don't want to go back to change clothes." If I spend a few hours in these clothes, do I have to be punished again?
The soldier said, " no, If any other soldier stops you, then show this acknowledgment to him. Today there will be no punishment again."
Traveler went ahead by thanking the soldier.
While wandering, Traveler reached the garden of the city. Four soldiers were playing cards sitting on the soft grass in a part of the garden. Seeing him, they left the game and rushed towards him and said to him, " Give a fine of a gold coin."
The traveler asked, " If I don't give "
They said, " Then you have to stay in prison for a week. "
One of them said, " Looks like you don't have gold currency." There will be copper coins. Give us ten coins and we will let you go."
The traveler showed them the acknowledgment and said, " I was asking for information. I have given the punishment today.
The soldiers allowed him to go.
The traveler reached a temple while walking. there were some beggars in torn clothes and some bare upper body sat in a row. When someone came out in front of them, everyone would start pleading for alms. Someone would put some coins in their alms bowls.
Then Traveler saw a strange scene. A soldier arrived. He took some coins from each beggar and went away.
The traveler reached the beggars. He gave some copper coins to everyone. Then he asked, "What did that soldier take from you and why? "
One beggar told, " We do not have full clothes and we cannot give full punishment for not covering our body, so we give a little money to that soldier and in return, soldiers do not trouble us.
Traveler asked, " How much punishment can be imposed on you guys? " 
The beggar said, " The amount of punishment is the same for everyone "
 The traveler was stunned and saddened to hear this. 
He walked back to the inn thinking with a heavy heart, " Will the poor ever get the justice they had established equality between the rich and the poor in punishments. In the remaining areas? 

© 2019 Ravi Ranjan Goswami


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on October 20, 2019
Last Updated on October 20, 2019
Tags: equality, fine, king, traveler, soldier