The Lonely Bird Cage.

The Lonely Bird Cage.

A Story by Grace.

I miss his small chirps and cheaps at all times of the day.  He would swing back and forth, singing away. The cat would always watch, but I would protect him from harm with my many golden arms. Sometimes he would get frustrated with me for holding him in. Its for your own good. I would think, but there's things I'll never say. Other times he would climb up me, wrapping his small orange feet around my arm and pulling himself up with his beak. When he neared the top, he would always slide back down, gleefully.

 

Every day around the same time the owner would come and give him some seeds to munch on. I loved seeing his small beak peck the little seeds laying on my base. It would sometimes hurt, though. I would never mind much, he was too beautiful. One day the owner was feeding him and there was a ringing noise, crying out, and demanding for the owners attention. They tossed the seed carelessy into me, only leaving my door open. The ringing had awoken the cat. The owner scurried off towards the ringing and the cat wasted no time. He bounced up onto the table in front of me and the bird. He pecked away at the seeds, oblivious to the danger. I tried, with every ounce of my strength, to close my door, but the cat started to lick his lips. He helped himself to my little friend. He gave a small cry, but was soon devoured. A small feather floated down onto my base, the only remnant of my buddy. I cursed the cat, but like always, I'm silent. The cat smugly licks his paws off and slinks away, proud of himself.

 

Now, the only time the swing moves is on a particularly windy day.

The only time I hear a bird's song is when the owner leaves the window open.

And I am always alone. A small cage, waiting for my next occupant.

© 2011 Grace.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is beautiful! I especially love the perspective you took to tell the story. This is creative, sad, and heartfelt. Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
1 Review
Added on November 23, 2011
Last Updated on November 23, 2011

Author

Grace.
Grace.

About
I believe in a lot of things. I believe in "love" at first sight, because I believe "love" is a small word. I believe in God. I believe in The Bible. I believe in dancing your heart out. I belie.. more..

Writing
Chapter One: Yeah. Chapter One: Yeah.

A Chapter by Grace.