Moss-Covered Rock of the Forest Trail

Moss-Covered Rock of the Forest Trail

A Story by Brian P
"

A witch's curse causes a person to transform into a rock. A boy visits the rock and causes them to have a curious thought.

"

Moss-Covered Rock of the Forest Trail


Long ago a malpracticed witch was distraught by either my words or actions and transformed me into a rock. The specific reason had slipped my memory as had my name, profession, family, and most other characteristics of my personage. I have grown used to passing time in hundreds and thousands. Let it be known, I now experience things by inhuman standards.

At some point a trail was formed through the trees that surround me, which passes quite near me. Very soon afterward a wooden bench was placed in front of me and slightly to the left. I had always seen other humans at, what seemed to me, a reasonable frequency, but they began to appear at steadily increasing and, if I may say, rapid intervals.

One fine, Summer day a boy sat at the bench and began writing in his notebook. He wrote and repeated his writing aloud when finished.

“O Persimmon Mapp

You gave my heart a zap

Lips a-pursed

My face, accursed

Wetted cheek upon your tap”

The boy smiled shyly to himself and swung his feet from the bench. He left in a hurry.

I had no ability or intention to judge this boy or his work, I had a complete lack of understanding in the whole ordeal. I felt strongly that the boy should wither and die in my presence. If the boy allowed himself to wither and die here, by me, there would be no reason for him to find any other place to go. What a pain it must be to go new places and take yourself away from them, repeatedly, as if to enter and escape a new everlasting torment in constant perpetuity. Wouldn’t one find it most pleasant to choose a nice place to wither and die so that they may get used to it as quickly as possible? Once you are used to the place that you are, you can think clear thoughts in a most unbiased manner. Take it from me, the enchanted former man: Moss-Covered Rock of the Forest Trail.

© 2022 Brian P


Author's Note

Brian P
Any feedback is appreciated :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hello, Brian! :)
This is an interesting story. The first two sentences read a bit off, but I enjoyed it as a whole. You had me trying to see things from the stone's point of view. Well done!

Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 7, 2022
Last Updated on June 7, 2022
Tags: Flash Fiction, Short Story, Poetry, Humor, Nature

Author

Brian P
Brian P

Olympia, WA



About
Trying out writing some weird little stories. Any feedback is appreciated! more..

Writing