Always lost in the city

Always lost in the city

A Poem by gram linski
"

a song by noir desire

"
saddened and amused
by sorrow parade
of life
travellin' by
all containing a million
miracles, hopes and dreams
the world and the
minutia within
dancing sweetmusic
and poetry
the heartache of a 
beautiful womans frown
the simpleness
and warmth of smiles
an enquiring infants mind
or boisterous  Alsatian hounds
the tenderness in a pair 
of grey gloves
left while I slept
wine in the sun
by fruit markets
( also the rain, )
the freeze of snow sleeping
and all the myriad pains
of spirit mind and flesh
the freedom of 
music/expression/art
should resound and resonate
every walking street/waking/unwoken
movement
the absolute zen in
pidgeon fights over bread ...

...and sweet playful
painful tears
generosity mixed
with ignorance/
distain/ refrain from one
eye to the next ...

we
the smiling few
are the richer
of the two
le patron 
est la rue
trombe
touche
vive

( sur la rue )

© 2019 gram linski


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A medley here of memories of city life, the noise, the chaos, the smells, the people, the hustle, the bustle and everything now that I have grown to dislike, and yet I was born in the city of London. Open spaces suit me better. City life is claustrophobic and lonely for many. You either love it or hate it. A nice surprise at the end, showing off your schoolboy French. I do like to see the odd foreign word introduced into poetry. You reminded me of why I don't take the inter city train into Paddington when it would be so easy to do it. Enjoyed the read gram. Happy Sunday.

Chris





Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gram linski

4 Years Ago

Thanks, Chris, happy, er sunday, back at ya



Reviews

This feels like a man’s-eye view from the sidewalk. The man settled in some semi-out-of-the-way place where he is observing the bustle of city life as it passes by. In contrast to the larger activity, though, he has chosen to be unhurried and absorb the moment. With both the good and bad thoughts it brings.

It’s like the grand parade of life itself acted out on a crowded stage. The young and old together (with their animal companions) but operating on separate trajectories. Time itself taking each person on a different track. Timelines intersecting and running parallel. But it’s all unfolding together.

I have an image of the man being able to slow it all down in his mind, and imagine his own kind of power to (if nothing else) replay the scene at anytime and any speed. To recall the tender gesture of (what I’m imagining was) a stranger leaving a pair of gloves for the man asleep in the elements. Or to recall the bustling life of pigeons where every moment has an urgency we can’t ever really understand. The zen of it all flowing over the mind subject, in that moment, only to that moment.

The lesson of the day that I will carry away after reading is that freedom has two faces. There is the beauty of having the time and mind-space to be present for every moment. But that comes at a price. Perhaps that is physical discomfort or loneliness. Or any number of things. But, like any state, each feeling is temporary and will shift into others as surely as the sun and moon will keep dancing around one another.

I enjoyed this. It was like a glimpse into the mind during a particular moment of observation. Those grey gloves will stick in my head.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gram linski

4 Years Ago

aye, the dance of the sun and the moon, you got that right Eilis, those grey gloves stuck in my head.. read more
A medley here of memories of city life, the noise, the chaos, the smells, the people, the hustle, the bustle and everything now that I have grown to dislike, and yet I was born in the city of London. Open spaces suit me better. City life is claustrophobic and lonely for many. You either love it or hate it. A nice surprise at the end, showing off your schoolboy French. I do like to see the odd foreign word introduced into poetry. You reminded me of why I don't take the inter city train into Paddington when it would be so easy to do it. Enjoyed the read gram. Happy Sunday.

Chris





Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gram linski

4 Years Ago

Thanks, Chris, happy, er sunday, back at ya
this reminds me why i am so glad i have left the city as a youngin' and ended up where i am now...in a rural area away from all of the crazy chaos of the city...
love the ending...my mom would have really appreciated this poem...she spoke fluent french.
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


gram linski

4 Years Ago

thanks, j. your mom would have hated it, nothing fluid about my French, cheers,
jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

she would have appreciated the effort....:)))
This seems to speak of dark memories of things done, enjoyed, regretted. It has a really brittle feel despite some soft images. The gloves left feel like a sweet moment of recall but was it the last he saw of her? The penultimate stanza hints at confusion and immaturity as one goes from one situation, one song to the next and the sardonic final stanza seems to say that those who shed the guilt were better able to survive the city jungle.

Posted 4 Years Ago


gram linski

4 Years Ago

thanks John, the gloves were the last tender thing that happened that life,

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 17, 2019
Last Updated on August 17, 2019

Author

gram linski
gram linski

About
Caged In An Animal's Mind Caged in an animal's mind; No wish to be more or else Than I am; a smile and a grief Of breath that thinks with its blood, Yet straining despite; unsure In my stir .. more..

Writing