Pipe Tobacco

Pipe Tobacco

A Poem by Megan Lynn Tocci
"

I only remember that it was winter, and that my heartbeats slowed to match the steady hum of an engine that was older than me.

"

1. I only remember that it was winter, and that my heartbeats slowed to match the steady hum of an engine that was older than me.


2. I run my hands along the fabric cover of the worn-down seats then hug my knees to my chest to keep from shivering.


3. I pull down the sleeves of your favorite flannel shirt and wipe condensation off the window so I can look at the stars.


4. You always took the long way home.


5. I think I wanted to say something, but the silence was too fragile, so I resigned to merely breathe: a combination of you, pipe tobacco, and peppermint gum.


6. It’s funny how my memories of that summer smell like you, pipe tobacco, and peppermint gum.


7. I wonder if you still have that shirt.



( m e g )

© 2018 Megan Lynn Tocci


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A beautiful and poignant recollection of a summer long gone. I was a bit confused by your numbering of each line. It's a powerful piece, Meg. I love how your middle line broke it wide open, in stating that "you always took the long way home".

It would be so hard to read this and not respond to it. But 15 viewers did. ...that's just crazy!

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
1 Review
Added on March 12, 2018
Last Updated on March 12, 2018
Tags: megan lynn, meg, poetry, typewriter, poets, prose, summer, young love

Author

Megan Lynn Tocci
Megan Lynn Tocci

Boulder, CO



About
2018 Bachelor of Arts: Political Science with a History minor. 2017 UNCO Bookstore Contest Short Story Winner. 2014 National Scholastic Writing Awards Silver Medalist. 2014 Denver Women's Press Cl.. more..

Writing